“Anniversary getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ditholo Game Lodge
Rustenburg, South Africa
“Anniversary getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We booked at Ditholo for our Anniversary getaway. We arrived at the gate on Friday 16 August. What a great way to be received, we felt welcome from the start and got the same treatment at reception and the whole weekend through from all the staff. The room was beautifully decorated, clean and perfect. The outlook deck is devIne overlooking the hippo pond, beautifull sunsets and sunrises. The restauran, swimming pool and bar area just added to this great experience. We will definately visit Ditholo again and will take the kids with next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Madelaine B
Ditholo L, Manager at Ditholo Game Lodge, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Madelaine

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is reviews like your that remind us that we are continuing on the right path. We pride ourselves in providing a great service to all our customers. We look forward to seeing you and your kids soon.

Warmest Regards
Staff and Management at Ditholo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Gauteng, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

Room/Chalet was clean but this lodge is definitaly not more than a 3*. Food was inclusive in our price and of poor standard- either raw or under cooked. No service at the bar in the evening. Beautiful setting but little wildlife and game vechiles to small to accommodate all guests. Will not go again.

Room Tip: None- go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Oceangypsey
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review of your stay way back in April 2012. We are sorry that you had a mediocre experience at Ditholo but it should be noted that we took over the property shortly after your stay. I am more than sure that you will be pleasantly surprised by the changes and would love to have the opportunity to win you back under our newly managed and successful property.

I am sure you can see by all the positive reviews that things have certainly changed and this is a definite case of "chalk and cheese".

Welcoming you back.

Staff and Management at Ditholo
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2012

And that coming from an inveterate traveller, who's been treated royally at hotels, bush lodges and guest houses around the country for years, should tell you something. We Crash Test Mummies know great things when we see them! Thanks so much Yolande and GP. I hope to be back in the not too distant future...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CrashTestMelanie
Dear Melanie,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We aim to please and are always overjoyed when that arrow hits the mark.

Warmest regards,

Yolande, GP and the Ditholo Staff
Gauteng
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and i decided to get away for a weekend and we came across Ditholo Lodge on the internet. We were not sure at all what to expect as we are not really the travelling Wilbury's type. Our vacations are usually South coast Dec.holidays. I have always wanted to go to a lodge in the bush and experience a game drive. So we decided as our children are grown up now it was time out for us. On arrival at Ditholo, it was WOW ! Yolande welcomed us with a welcome drink, checked us in, explained what there is to do etc. Then we went to the Chalet and again WOW ! 5 star !! Clean, beautiful and so welcoming. We started walking around to familiarise ourselves with the surroundings. We were then met by GP who was so friendly and we ordered our drinks and sat on the deck. The weekend was just perfect. Our game drive was brilliant at 7am on Sunday morning. What a way to end our weekend.
Everyone was so friendly. The chef outdone himself with the food. It was top quality. All the staff were amazing even the gate security guard left us with a smile. Awesome place. When we left it felt as though we were leaving family behind. Hats off to all at DITHOLO LODGE. Outstanding hosts , Yolande and GP !
Regards Paul and Carol De Koning.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroldek
Dear Paul and Carol,

Once again we are humbled by such a wonderful review. We hope to see you both back at Ditholo soon.

Warmest regards,

Yolande, Gp and the Staff at Ditholo
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

After over loaded and busy year, we finally decided to get away from our busy city lives. We usually saved up all year to go to the Kruger Park and other more famous destinations; however most of those lodges are well beyond the average South Africans’ means….
Upon arrival at Ditholo, we were welcomed personally by the general manager, who was available all throughout our stay to make our long weekend an enjoyable and pleasurable experience. The lodge itself is only about 16 rooms and lends itself to a truly tranquil and relaxing experience. We enjoyed the game drive and firelight Boma dinner and the walking trails. The lodge has a wonderful bar area with a gorgeous 4 sided fire place. The breakfast was wonderful and the environment lends itself to complete relaxation, I actually picked up a book and read it, which is something I haven’t done in many years. Overall a hidden gem, if you are looking for “Posh” and overpriced game lodges, Ditholo may not be for you….. but if you are looking for a comfortable, quiet and relaxing bush experience, we have definitely found a winner and we are definitely coming back.

Quinton Putter

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Quinzo
Dear Quinton,

Thank you for your kind words. We are humbled by such compliments and will ensure that credit is given where it is due. For us at Dtiholo all the hours and work are made worthwhile by a few kind words from wonderful people such as yourself.

Looking forward to seeing you back soon.

Yolande, GP and the Staff at Ditholo
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I would just like to extend my thanks to the team at Ditholo Game Lodge, Limpopo. I stayed at the lodge over the long weekend just gone by ( 22- 24 Sept 2012) and had such a lovely relaxing time. The management team and staff are awesome and so friendly and helpful. Again, congratulations on great service and a great team at Ditholo.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your incredibly kind words to us at Ditholo. You had "an awesome time". We in turn had an equally awesome time serving you and all of our guests.

A warm thank you.

Yolande, GP and the Staff at Ditholo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Yolande and GP were fabulous, both them and their team made me very welcome and comfortable during my stay. Even as a solo visitor I felt as though I was with friends.

GP was inspiring with his knowledge of local and national flora and fauna – enough to really inspire and ignite a keen interest in the outdoors. I was very fortunate to see a number of animals at the lodge, herds of wildebeest, giraffe, buffalo, hippo’s, eland, gemsbok, sable, waterbuck, impala, puku, blesbok, kudu, nyala, impala, warthogs, burchell’s zebras, the mesmerising giraffes not to mention all of the stunning birdlife.

I enjoyed the trip to the Mabula lodge for the big 5 and was lucky enough to see some rhino, baboon and elephants whilst I was there. I found out when I was there, that the lions are segregated to another area of the reserve with a selection of animals which is only visited of a morning. The large commercial presence of Mabula really highlighted how personal Ditholo was. I think I was really fortunate to experience both in this way. If I was to return I would definitely choose to stay at Ditholo, and do an early morning game drive at Mabula as a visitor. Most of what I saw at Mabula, I had already seen at Ditholo with the exception of those mentioned.

My husband was very jealous as I recounted my adventures of sitting by the huge warming fire of a night time and either sitting high on the observation deck or hiking through the beautiful sunshine of the day. Other guests took a buggy and drove around the estate, I was happy to hike and sit amongst the giraffes as they curiously and inquisitively inched closer, I found them completely mesmerising by the end of my stay.

As it was winter and the bushveld became thinner (great for being able to see the herds clearly) the food supply decreases and is supplemented by feeding and GP took me on a morning food drive. The animals clearly knew the difference between the game drive vehicle and the feeding buckey / ute. Seeing the change in animals like the buffalo needed to be seen to be believed; with the former it was like a dog with a postman – a game of chase, as soon as the buckey came out though it was like a different ‘calm & placid’ animal – I was less than 3 metres away and spellbound.

I can’t stop raving about it to my friends and I can’t believe I have so many stories to tell from a short weekend break. Morning coffee now that I'm back home just isnt the smae without that beautiful sunrise and watching the hippo's wake up.

This is certainly one place on my must return – highly recommend list.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Robyn B
Dear Robyn,

A very warm thank you from Yolande, GP and all the staff at Ditholo. Ditholo to us is a very personal experience and we know we have succeeded in our task when we get such wonderful feedback from a newly made friend.(As every customer is to us)

Warm regards,