“Good standard for a chinese hotel”

Huzhou International Hotel
Ranked #18 of 177 Hotels in Huzhou
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I stayed on the executive floor, the room was clean and well equipped for a for star hotel.
The second most important factor - next to cleanliness - is a comprehensive breakfast buffet. Beside typical chinese "delicacies" were also western style dishes, Austrian Jam (Darbo), Bread etc available. Even the coffee was enjoyable.
Like in all other chinese Hotels where I stayed before, the mattress is extremely hard.
TV Program is mainly Chines - I think there was only one English channel availabel (HBO).

Room Tip: On the backside of the Hotel is almost no traffic - nights are quiet. They have demolished some hous...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stayed at the Huzhou International Hotel for 3 nights in July 2012. In the past, I have stayed at Zhebei Hotel which is about a five minute walk away, and was expecting the same -- local Chinese hotel experience. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the rooms. I stayed on the 17th floor, which is executive floor. I don't know what the other rooms below looked like. The room was very comfortable and well furnished. Fast, reliable, and free internet in the rooms. Clean sheets, and bathroom. Things get a bit strange when you leave the room. The Swimming Pool and Fitness Center are open from 11:00AM to 11:30AM, which prevents you from squeezing a workout in before your meetings during the work week -- the Swimming Pool is indoor and appeared half-Olympic size. The equipment in the Fitness Center is basic and out-dated, where I wouldn't really bother with, unless you wanted to do exercises only on the mats. The breakfast is OK - a bit local where steamed buns would be labeled as "Meat Package" and dumplings as "Hidden Golden Surprise." In a nutshell, the room was great and the rest was good -- no matter, it's the best thing going in Huzhou now, and at a reasonable rate. Good location too if you don't have a car -- in the downtown area so you can walk to explore. Tesco is 5 minute walk away if you want your own food to keep in the room.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Well I am a regular stayer at the Huzhou international Hotel, but never in winter. This was a little different as the heating in the room wasn't fantastic. The hotel is still very clean and central to shops and unlike other hotels in Houzhou and it does not smell apart from the common areas where its ok to smoke. As a non smokers you are engulfed with smoke frequently but thats China......

This trip the Government were in town and they also stay at this hotel. Unfortunately because they were there all facilites were shut down ie Massage, K Bar, Gym, Pool. I'm not sure why but my interpreter was saying it the same in every hotel when the Government are in town.

Breakfast was still included and was still very nice too, (mix of Chinese and Western Food). I would have like a cold juice to go with my food though. Hot juice just doesn't seem right nor taste right. There are smoking and non smoking sections in the dining room, but I could smell the cigarette smoke, which doesn't taste nice whilst eating your breakfast. In fact in China you can smoke where you please with is very consuming

Downside to the hotel is that the walls are very thin, so you can hear everything going on in the rooms next to yours (not great at night). Also I had a strong smell of cigarette smoke woft through the room via the AC vent into my room, (I had a non smoking room).

The front desk speak little English to get you by however everyone else in the hotel ie Massage people don't. The upside was they (the massage people) would ring down to the front desk and get you to speak to them and they would translate your needs back. I found the room a great size, the beds a little too hard for me but pillows to die for. There is also HB0 for English speaking people so at least there is one tv station to watch. I really like the fact they put weigh scales in every room. Its very easy to overeat in China because food is so cheap.

Nothing is free in China....if you want to use the gym/pool you pay! Business Centre, you pay!

Room Tip: Higher floors if your lucky may be a little more quiet, more so if you get a room that doesn't o...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mishous
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I have stayed here 3 times. Location is good. Very central for all my meetings. So my suppliers like it.

Hotel itself is little more than average. Ask for redecorated room on the higher floors because they are much nicer and have modern fittings. Nothing too flash here but comfortable enough and well situated.

Only down side for me is breakfast. I have stayed in many places in china and I think the breakfast here is one of the worst I come across. Everything tastes low quality. Coffee is awful. European selection is very poor.

At the moment this is the best business hotel. But when the planned Sheraton hotel opens I think this place will suffer because it is not quite international level - but not too bad

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel is very clean and central to shops and unlike other hotels in Houzhou it did not smell. Breakfast was included and was very nice too, (mix of Chinese and Western Food). Downside to the hotel is that the walls are very thin, so you can hear everything going on in the rooms next to yours (not great at night). Also I had the smell of cigarette smoke occasionally come through the AC vent into my room, (I had a non smoking room). The front desk speak enough English to get you by however everyone else in the hotel ie Massage people don't. The upside was they (the massage people) would ring down to the front desk and get you to speak to them and they would translate your needs back. The whole of China believes in smoking anywhere you feel, elevators, restuarants etc, so if your a non smoker it's very consuming. At breakfast although I would sit in the 'non smoking' part of the restuarant I could smell the cigarette smoke, which doesn't taste nice whilst eating your breakfast. I found the room a great size, the beds a little too hard for me but pillows to die for. I spent 5 nights here all up!
I would definately stay here again though

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I think this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at whether in China or not. The room was very clean, the service was excellent and the location in Huzhou is perfect. The breakfast every morning was a Chinese breakfast but with enough Western items just in case you don't want noodles and pickled veggies in the morning. They even had very good coffee. The staff was very attentive and everything worked. We paid the equivalent of $80 per night.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2007

The Huzhou International Hotel was great. We didn't know what to expect, since Huzhou isn't on the tourist circuit. Although we didn't see any Westerners there at all, they seem to be prepared for Western business travelers. (Huzhou is a center for the textile business, particularly for children's clothing.) We stayed on the executive floor - floor 17 - the standard rooms were all booked - for an additional $5 a night. The rooms were very nicely furnished, and included a computer with internet access, and a flat screen TV. Nice bed linens,robes, slippers, fruit in the room. We had 3 rooms and a suite, as a group of 9 traveling with 3 twelve year olds.
The reception desk and the business center staff speak English. The breakfast includes Western foods, such as omelets, baked goods and cereal, and good coffee, as well as the noodles, dumplings and fried rice, etc.
We attended a banquet at the hotel and the Chinese food was good as well - not what you'll find at your local Chinese restaurant in the U.S. to be sure - but plenty of accessible dishes, even for the 12 year olds.
Huzhou is a large modern city, near the water village Nanxun, and the resorts on Lake Tai. Like the water village, Huzhou has numerous canals, and since it doesn't attract foreign tourists, it was interesting to see aspects of China not oriented toward the interests of foreign tourists.
If you have the time to spend to get off the beaten path, I recommend the Huzhou International Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AmicaItalia