“Not so great experience :(”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hatillo
Hotel Punta Maracayo
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hatillo
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Hotel itself is very pretty outside, however the rooms... not so much.

Very outdated rooms, flat pillows, rusty bathroom magnifying mirrors, pool wasn't clean, staff wasn't friendly and I felt really uncomfortable in our ground level room (Room # 108) at the very end of the building with a flimsy door lock that was easily accessible to any non-guests.

They do not have rooms with 2 beds in them. All there rooms have 1 Queen size bed. There were 3 of us staying in a room so we asked for a roll away bed when we checked in at 2:30 pm. (which they said they had when we booked the room). They showed up several hours later, after we called them again to remind them (about 8:30 pm) with an inflatable mattress. At that point we said forget it and booked an additional room.

Thankfully, we were only here 2 nights during the third part of our trip and didn't really spend too much time there.

There is a restaurant on the top floor called Brasas. (The place was completely empty the entire time we were there and it was uncomfortably freezing cold in there.) We went there the first night for dinner and I had the best shrimp and lobster asopao I've ever had. So good that I had to have it again the next night. Sadly, the second night, it wasn't even half as good. Could it have been a different chef? Who knows... but consistency is everything with restaurants and unfortunately, there was no consistency with food here. But what they were consistent in was being empty and freezing again.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone nor would I choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for any room above the first floor. I never felt safe on the first floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Traci7873

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I reserved last weekend as part of a previously scheduled job-related stay in the Metropolitan Arecibo-Hatillo area. This hotel is administered by the Hatillo City Hall and it's a very clean and well kept facility, service is very good and it has a nice restaurant . Prices are reasonable so when visiting attractions in this area or just looking for a place to stay consider this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the right wing have a better balcony view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Juan Felipe G
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Upon first impression the lobby is open and pretty. The pool area is also nice to look at. The room was slightly below adequate. Air conditioning not cool enough, furniture is outdated pillows are flat, bathroom magnifier mirror rusty and doesn't illuminate. Worse yet is they turn the hot water off when the hotel isn't fully occupied. We had to request assistance with this 3 times. The hotel staff were polite and friendly. Treat them with respect and they will treat you the same. The wait staff at Brasas were pleasant especially the young female bartender. We've stayed in worse paradores and paid the same rate. If you've never driven in PR, getting in/out of hotel can pose a challenge - especially in the afternoon after 2:30 pm.

Room Tip: Stay on 2 or 3 floor. You may feel safer. Rooms on 1 floor appear to be easily accessible by non g...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cuqui1968
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We had stayed at Punta Maracayo before, and little by little our experience got worse. The last time we were there, I had to call the front desk every time I was going to take a bath to have the hot water turned on. This time around the experience was by far the worst:
1) Don't understand the need of sending a staff member to do an inventory of the fridge with the guest. This should be done ahead of time; just inform guests of what is there, the prices, and charge as needed.
2) Upon arriving at our room, I noticed that we did not have any hand or small towels. I called the front desk and was told that they did not have any because "they were doing inventory". Really? You wait until you run out of all your supplies to order new one? Meanwhile, bath towels were being used as rugs. What kind of a system is this?
3) On Friday night, upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by a party at the location. The music was loud, and it kept on until late at night. I think it was not until 3:00 a.m. when the music stopped. We clearly heard all the music in our room, and it was not pleasant. We wanted to rest, but were not able to do it until after the music stopped. And to top it off, next morning the hotel's staff was up bright and early doing yard work, which did not allow us to sleep in. Saturday night was a repeat of Friday, with more loud music up until the wee hours of the morning.
4) The staff needs to get trained on customer satisfaction. There was a gentleman during the weekend that spent most of his time on the phone. When I approached him to ask for the keys to the fitness room, he was visibly annoyed to have to put his call on hold. Very insistently did he tell me that I needed to bring the key back; what was he expecting, for me to run away with the fitness room equipment?
5) Although they say they have internet services, it was not available in the room. I called several times and was told that the connection was not working, that it was being checked on, etc., until I was finally told that if I needed to use the internet I had to go to the common areas in order to do so. If you are traveling on business and need internet access, you will be out of luck.

The hotel looks nice from the outside, but a lot of work needs to be done, beginning with staff training, maintenance of rooms, including proper supplies, and making sure that other activities do not impair guest's ability to rest.

Room Tip: When there is a party, there is not such a thing as a "good room". The music can be heard...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Rosa M
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The hotel is very beautiful. This was my second visit and probably my last. The problem arises with the rude reservationist. The night desk clerk who took my reservation was extremely rude. He made me feel as if he was doing me a favor by booking me a room. He was not cordial at all. His big concern was the mini bar payment. I wanted to spend time on a vacation not being told the rules of the mini bar when I am making a reservation! I felt like he was scolding me and I did not even arrive yet. He should be fired or given a course in hospitality.
The other problem is the outside pool area. There were cans of soda left for days on the tables. No one cleaned the pool area. I was worried about the water in the pool being clean. The little outside restaurant had flies all over the food while it was being prepared. Beautiful place to look at but filthy and rude staff ruin it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank lolaMontgomery_ny
Reviewed 17 September 2012

it did have a salon, a sushi restaurant, a high priced restaurant. Americans will expect more from a "resort". but for the price we didn't expect any thing extravagant. VERY helpful service. They dont offer double rooms so the boys had to share a twin fold-a-way bed. but that was fine too. they did love the waterslide at the camp ground next door, they will give you bracelets at the desk for it. I think my son 5 years old went down it 12 times before we had to pull him away. they are strict about the check out time.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank faithwaite
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This resort has a lot of potential. It is beautiful on the outside. The restaurant is awesome. The pool is large and clean. The lights at night are very attractive. My sons had lots of fun in the pool. The management was very nice and helpful. My only suggestion would be to add more seating at the pool area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank lolaMontgomery_ny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatillo
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
Hotel Colonial
Hotel Colonial
#2 of 4 in Mayaguez
Howard Johnson Inn Downtown Mayaguez PR

Been to Hotel Punta Maracayo? Share your experiences!