“Beautiful Resort, Relaxing Trip!”

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #26 of 386 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful Resort, Relaxing Trip!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our trip got off to a rocky start - our room wasn't ready, we found the check in process to be frustrating with a lot of attempts at upselling, we were shuttled to the wrong place several times and when our room was finally ready, the keys didn't work and we had to wait another 45 minutes for security to help. (We also had a frustrating experience with Olympus Tours, which was unrelated to the resort, but it still added to our moods). After a long travel day, we were ready to just relax, so it was a frustrating start to the trip. (Our travel agent contacted the sales manager, who offered to send us a bottle of wine at dinner or comp something, with which they did not actually follow through).

Once everything was resolved, our trip improved quickly. Everyone who works here is extremely friendly, happy and courteous. We had an infinity swim up casita suite (3112) and the private infinity pool was definitely worth the extra money. Each block of casitas has their own pool bar and our bartender (Isac) came and checked on us every hour to bring us drinks. The casita side of the resort was much quieter than the main part of the resort. There was no worry about having to reserve chairs by the pool or beach cabana though the main pool was much more crowded and active.

Food - We've been to several all-inclusives in the past and have never been impressed by the food. Even after reading many reviews for El Dorado Royale, we were still skeptical. Our expectations were exceeded. Every dinner we had was very good. We noticed some comments regarding portion sizes being small. We did not see this as an issue at all. Dinners are set up as 3-4 course meals, which was more than enough food for both of us. We had the best dinners at Kampai, Rincon Mexicano and Santa Fe. The only meal we felt really didn't stack up was at La Isla - just ok.

Food Allergies - This resort is extremely conscious of food allergies. Whenever you go to any restaurant the second question after asking for your room number is "do you have any food allergies?" I have a gluten allergy and they were extremely accommodating. Each waiter knew exactly which dishes were gluten free or could easily be adjusted. Every restaurant also had gluten free rolls/bread which I found quite delicious and didn't feel left out while my husband noshed on bread during meals. They also had gluten free flatbread for pizzas at the pool-side pizza/burger spot, but it was thick and it wasn't that good. I felt there was plenty I could eat, left every meal very satisfied and didn't get sick!

Spa - We also have never had great expectations of resort spas as we've had some poor treatments in the past at other resorts. However, the massages we got here (I had a prenatal with Mary and my husband a combination with Yasmin) were wonderful! The spa was beautiful, the facilities were great - sauna, spa pools, steam room, etc and the staff was very friendly. (Tip - the gym at casitas is not as nice as the main gym, if you're looking for more equipment).

Resort size/accessibility - This resort is very large and spread out. However, we are active 30-somethings who are used to city-living and we never used the shuttles. It didn't take us more then 10-15 minutes to walk from one end to the other; and we enjoyed the excuse for a stroll. We were lucky with good weather but I could see how it would be difficult if it were raining or very very hot.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. The good things definitely outweighed the bad and we would go back and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with a casita! Spring for an infinity swim up casita if you can. Second floor...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kate G
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Kate G,
Thank you for your recent review of your experiences at th Hidden Beach Resort, I am very sorry that you had to go through a rough start. I want to assure you that we in management have addressed these concerns. , I'm very proud of each and every employee and they are definitely a big part of the vacation experience and did everything to give a turn to your entire stay throught the days.
I'm happy to know that you receive a superior level of service in each and every place you went and enjoyed reading that this had such an impact on your vacation. One of the things that we do is to find out and act on any information from our guests that will have a positive impact their visit, and dietary requirements are an important part of this. We do work to handle this information in a discreet manner so that we can offer a range of dishes that will suit all needs.

we hope that you will choose to give El Dorado Casitas resort the opportunity to host your holiday again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me prior to travel and I will personally attend to your requests.

Best Regards
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,827)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 10 June 2014

For our honeymoon we were looking for something romantic, tropical, grow ups, & activity based. After a nice check in with champagne and wet hand towel we were escorted to our casita. When the bellman left the room my new wife and I looked at each other with jaw dropped expressions. We had the infinity pool swim up casita suite. I have never been in such a place. Huge bed, large in door & out door showers, jacuzzi bath tub, circle day bed inside, day bed on patio, 20 foot long infinity pool and lounge chairs. Not to mention the hut style design adding that extra tropical feel. The food and service at the restaurants cannot be surpassed. I was so impressed with how they treated my wife pulling the chair back for her and placing the napkin on her lap every time. The night entertainment was great too with many fun and diverse acts. Other than the incredible beauty and the taste of the food what I take away would be the service. Almost everyone had a smile and treated you with incredible respect. Carlos at Sante Fe morning breakfast, Isac our bartender for 31's was kind and a hard worker, personal concierge Luis and Marlen were so helpful, Oswelda at JoJo's helped us immensely. Everything truly was above and beyond expectations.
Perfect for couples. The only bad part is that we had to leave.

Room Tip: I believe all of the Casitas are excellent but as you move further up in the numbers (casitas are 25...
1 Thank Gibchar
Dear Gibchar,.

We heartily appreciate your taking the time to write such a sweet review on our resort El Dorado Casitas Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
We will make sure our team see your kind comments. Carlos, luis, Marlen, Osweldo and Isaac will feel so glad

We hope we can welcome you once again and provide you a more pleasant vacation.

Kindest regards,
San Clemente, California, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We came to this resort after having 7 days down the road at Sun Palace in Cancun and having our wedding there. We were expecting to be blown away by the property as we paid nearly double to have a swim up casita, but were very very disappointed. First of all we arrived to the hotel and were brought by golf cart to the casitas check in. Once there it took about 30 minutes for us to be helped then about an hour to get checked in. We were told that we booked an upper level without a pool so he tried to tell us that we would have to pay more for the lower level unit. He started talking to us about price and when we told him we had booked the lower level he said he had made a mistake. Understandable, but then he told us he could upgrade to presidential suite again we negotiated price and booked what we thought was the presidential suite only to find out it seemed like the room we originally thought we booked. It was the presidential Jr. Suite which is way different.

We got to our room and it was nice, but not really as nice as we were expecting. No Ocean View, small room, small service menu. The highlight of the room however was our pool which is advertised as private since it's attached to casita but it's not that private.

From there the service continued to be a disappointment. We met with our concierge didn't seem to be much help, she didn't have a spa menu or pricing and basically just went over a few details with us. I went to the spa the second day and was greeted and told there was a promotion for the Mexican ritual but when I tried to book 20 minutes later after talking to my husband no one knew what I was talking about, my concierge made me drive around for 20 minutes trying to find the person at the spa who told me about it and I missed breakfast with my husband. It was very frustrating and we felt like people were not on the same page and communication was lacking.

Our room service was wrong 4 out of 5 times we ordered. The food was good, but it's not a 5 star dining experience and offered no options for a more casual diner only dress up options which we were not properly prepared for. Our room also was not cleaned the first two days we were there. Both times maid service came we were showering at 10am and 7PM and asked them to come back in an hour. They also wanted to schedule your entire vacation.

Overall we felt the resort and casitas had a lot of offer and has some incredible features, but the experience was so poor from service, to constantly being upsold, to communication to lack of upgrades lights not working properly, air conditioning smelling like mold that it was not worth the large amount of money.

The good things: the pool was really cool that was attached to our casita. The 3230 bartender julio was very kind, knew our names, and took good care of us. The food was decent but room service lacked choices and was constantly wrong. The couples massage on the Ocean was incredible, it was relaxing and amazing to hear the waves crashing below as you received your massage. The hydro therapy ritual was also very neat.

We would say save yourself the trip and go to Sun Palace which is truly all inclusive, has a stunning beach where you can swim, all rooms have amazing views and the service and food is exceptional.

Room Tip: Save your money and go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Jasmine F
Alabaster, Alabama
Reviewed 9 June 2014

There were two other couples with us, we were there for our 10 anniversary. I can not tell you how nice the staff is, the grounds are beautifully manicured, and the food - "Oh the FOOD!!!" I have been to a lot of 4-5 star rated hotels, this exceeded my expectation (I am picky). This was my first time at an all inclusive and I am now worried that any other all inclusive will just be a disappointment. What made this trip great though was the staff, we stayed in Casitas 3012. This was a beautiful swim up suit, but we were lucky enough to get Israel as our Bartender who truly became a friend. He had magic tricks and brain teasers, remembered our names the first day. If I had to name one person that made the trip great it was Israel. Alejandro was our Beach Butler who was also fantastic, he would bring us popsicles and ice cream. He would even go the extra step as to get Sushi from a restaurant right down the way and bring it around for people to try. Gilberto was our waiter in the morning at Sante Fe and for lunch as Kampai. We would go to breakfast and lunch at these two places just to have fun joking around with him. I can tell you about the surroundings and the room all day, but our experiences with the staff made the trip one that I will never forget. It is true... "People will forget what you say, but remember how you made them feel" For this week I felt like I was truly appreciated for picking this hotel. The only negative experience we had was our outdoor shower drain which Tristan our Concierge (who was also incredible) had it fixed the same day I mentioned it.

Room Tip: If you come to this resort get the swim up, take my advice, it is worth the extra money. And be sur...
1 Thank LinseyHarmon
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear LinseyHarmon,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Let me express my gratitude for taking the time to write about your stay at El Dorado Casitas Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
It shows it´s your heart speaking. Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff. We are well aware that they are a big part to mak all fo this possible.
Your comments are a very good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ full satisfaction.
We hope we can welcome you once again and provide you a more pleasant vacation.

Best Regards
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I visited El Dorado Casitas Royale in April this year and were blown away by the resort. Everything was fantastic from the rooms, the pools, the food and the people. We found the Casitas side to be everything we wanted and more. We have never stayed on the other side but the Casitas were truly luxurious. Cesar took care of us by the pool everyday and truly made our vacation wonderful. Every mean we had was delicious and each menu had a ton of options to pick from. A huge thanks to VIP Vacations and our travel agent Emily for planning our amazing vacation, I already can't wait to go back :)

Room Tip: Splurge on a Casitas, you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ashley O

Thank you for your recent review.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and were so well looked after by the team
here at El Dorado Casitas Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
We will make sure Cesar see your kind comments. He will feel so glad.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Warm regards
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Writing this review makes me a little sad because I wish I was back in the lazy river sipping a cocktail, and relaxing, rather than getting ready for work!

I recently returned from a fantastic girlfriend's trip to El Dorado Casitas Royale that we booked through Melissa at Beach Bum Vacation, melissa@beachbumvacation.com. Let me start off by saying that I've done extensive international travel, and have gone on some nice trips, and this totally blew them away! I was a little skeptical at first of how booking with a travel agent would help us, but I am so so glad that we did. Everything was taken care of and flowed smoothly from our arrival at the airport, to the complimentary massages and the wine tasting and amazing dinner in a private room on our last night. It took the decision making out of our trip, which for me is the most stressful part, and we were all able to relax and enjoy. Thank you Melissa, you really made our trip special!

The resort itself is beautiful. We stayed in the Casitas section (2800s), with rooms next to each other on the lazy river. You have your own private pool bar (Caesar our bartender was amazing!) and you can walk across the path to the ocean, where there are beds and more chairs to lay out on. We spent most of our days hanging out in the river/pool area and had a fantastic time. The service at the resort is unbelievable - no matter where you are there is someone coming by to see if you need anything, and they are all SO friendly and nice. I even had someone to swing my hammock for me!

The rooms were beautiful and large, with two showers with great water pressure (one outdoor). There are a variety of restaurants around the resort, and a fun bar, Guacamayas, to go to at night if you feel like seeing a show or staying out a little later. I hate to say this, but we stayed for 5 days and didn't end up leaving the resort once.

Melissa arranged for us to all have complimentary massages (which we chose to do overlooking the ocean) and a Temazcal ceremony, which was tough for us at the time, as it involves a sweat lodge, but we all agreed it was a great bonding experience and were so glad we did it. I had the best night of sleep I've had in months that night.

I could go on and on, but all in all it was a really great trip. There are a lot of couples in the casitas portion of the hotel, but it didn't really matter to us, as all the guests seemed very friendly, and we met people everywhere we went. I would go back in a heartbeat and have nothing but great things to say about every aspect of our vacation.

Room Tip: Get a room in the casitas on the first floor so you can swim up.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
21 Thank Jen S
Dear Jen S

It is indeed a pleasure to receive such a nice review highlighting our , facilities, services and most of all, our staff professionalism and kindness.
Cesar our friendly bartender is realy famouse these days he is definitely one of a kind.
Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe.
We would all be very pleased to have you back for another memorable vacation

Best regards,
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We visited from 22nd May to 5th June 2014. We had previously stayed at the El Dorado Royale in December 2013. We have also previously visited Excellence Riviera Cancun and The Royal in Cancun.

As repeat guests we received a very warm welcome on arrival, and were shown to our Casita, 3028, a wonderful swim-up. There was sparkling wine and fruit awaiting us on arrival and later that evening some chocolates from Thomson. The rooms on the Casitas side are much larger than those on the Royale side and more private, an added benefit is the outdoor shower, which was lovely! Our bed was super comfortable and we slept really well during our stay.

Other benefits to staying in the Casita End are use of the pool, pool bar, beach beds and butler service around each Casita block, the ability pre-book all of your evening restaurant reservations, a room service card that can be put out the previous evening to pre-order room service breakfast and various other bits and pieces.

We were celebrating our anniversary whilst we were there and received free wifi, 2 massages, a candlelit dinner on the beach and romantic breakfast all complimentary.

We visited our concierges, Vucko and Tristan on our first afternoon and were able to pre-book restaurants for the week ahead, as well as order pillows and turn down fragrance. The concierges can deal with everything, so if you have any minor issues or requests just head over and they’ll sort you out.

The grounds in this complex are huge and beautifully kept, by what seemed to be an army of gardeners and cleaning staff, the morning always seem to be a hive of activity, the staff work tirelessly to keep the whole place looking wonderful, and we never saw a single miserable face, just big smiles and “holas”.

We visited all of the eating establishments during our fortnight, all very good and all quite different in style, having stayed the other end last time we tended to be eating at different venues this time according to the time of day, but can find no real fault with any of them. Room service was also good, and quick and the food was always fresh.

We enjoyed Santa Fe for breakfast, but also visited Cocotal and La Isla. Lunch we visited Jo Jo’s, La Isla and the Pizza corner, but our favourites were Kampai and Las Olas, the wraps there were so fresh. We have four favourite dinners, one at Fuentes, our candlelit dinner on the beach, the other two were part of the culinary series, the 6 course dinner at Sante Fe and the Cookery Class held at the Tucanes pool on our last night, Chef Urvin and the wine expert Robin, were excellent. Manoli Gonzales hosted all the events and was a true professional as always. Shame we missed the Gala meal!

We will definitely try to visit again during the first week of the month for the Culinary Series, we thoroughly enjoyed all the events we attended.

The hotel is very eco-friendly and are doing so much to protect the environment, many of the staff chatted to us about the efforts the hotel are making to be so green.

Speaking of the staff, we didn’t come across a single staff member who wasn’t friendly and helpful, they all bend over backwards to do anything and everything they can to ensure that you have the best holiday ever and with this in mind I want to mention a few of our favourites:
Santa Fe/Kampai/Las Olas: Leo, Jose, Gilberto, Eduardo and Carlos, keep smiling guys.
Casitas 30: Israel, superb barman and truly nice guy and Jorge, the beach butler, who couldn’t do enough for us.
Beach bar in front of Kampai: Miguel, what a fantastic barman, he seemed to have octopus arms at times!
Cocotal/Jo Jo’s: Victor, who we didn’t see as much as we’d like but there’s always next time.
D’Italia Villas: All the staff, so much fun.
La Isla: The new restaurant manager Brenda, and Isaac who was kind enough to search out some cheese for my husband one evening!
Candlelit beach dinner: Felix, such a professional.
Our concierges: Vucko and Tristan
And also Guadalupe and Olga who were so helpful when we had a couple of small problems.

The only thing that can spoil this holiday is the behaviour of some of your fellow guests, we encountered some issues during our stay, mostly noise and bad behaviour, including rudeness to staff.

We did find some issues with guests from the Royale end invading the private facilities at the Casitas side(pools, pool bars ans beach areas), there are signs dotted about, but it may be useful for management at the hotel to devise a way to stop this from happening, perhaps issuing all inclusive bracelets to these guests, just a suggestion, the casitas are so peaceful until an invasion of 20 people who shouldn't be there occurs.

I can honestly say that this has been the best all round holiday that we have ever experienced and it was a struggle to leave to be honest, but we will be back next May if not before!

Room Tip: Book the Casitas over the Royale if you can afford the extra.
3 Thank Samiloupepperell
Dear valued guest,
We have been honored with a review from an expert traveler and critic such as yourself. Especialy being one of our repeating guest that we so much value for the mantained confidence and faith in us.
Thank you for recounting your experience in such vivid detail, We are delighted to read that you spent a most wonderful holiday with us and found the accommodation, staff and ambiance of the resort very pleasant. Your comments are extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue to improve our services.

It feels very rewarding to acknowledge how much our guests appreciate the service we have provided and the warmth of our people. It will be a pleasure to extend your compliments to our all the staff you were so kind to mention in your review. We are sure it will be a really nice way to encourage them to keep on being themselves.

Hoping to receive you again in sunny at El Dorado Casitas Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma,

Warm regards