“Presidential Suite - Ultimate Luxury!”

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #28 of 388 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Burlington, Canada
“Presidential Suite - Ultimate Luxury!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We travelled in Mid-to-late May 2014, and stayed in an exotic Presidential Suite. My husband and I were travelling with two other couples. The room was awesome, very expensive (even as exotic club members) but really a wonderful location and great amenities. Because we were a group, our friends who stayed in the Royale side of the resort mostly came to our room to spend the time during the day. The pool in the room is large enough to fit the six of us comfortably and the balcony wrapped around the room and is great if you have guests.

I have to send a special thank you to one of our butlers, Yalma. She made our trip! Both for my husband and I, but also for our friends too. To be honest we didn't know what to expect from having a butler, certainly this is not treatment that we are used to. And in the past we have mostly found the conceirge service in other rooms to be unnecessary. We are fairly self-sufficient when we travel. But Yalma has a wonderful way of making you feel so comfortable. She anticipated our needs, even stopping by to bring us treats in the mid-afternoon that we didn't ask for. How wonderful it was to be lounging on the beach and be surprised with cold, delicious coconut ice cream! I honestly cannot say enough wonderful things about her, we will definitely be requesting her when we go again. (And yes, we will get the Presidential Suite again!)

One downside of travelling with a group of six, is that you will need to make reservations for dinner if you want to sit together. I don't think that this information is well-reported on. The tables in the restaurants are set up for couples or groups of four. Travelling as a group of six seemed to cause confusion at every restaurant. This was a bit of a drag, but it was only a big issue for the dinner on the second night where our reservations were lost. Unfortunately this also happened to be my husband and my anniversary dinner so that was a bit of a let-down.

Otherwise, this is a wonderful resort, with lots to do, many food options to choose from, wonderful spa services, and we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Presidential suites are expensive but the amenities are fantastic! Ask for Yalma to be your butler...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear friends from Canada

We very much appreciate your kind review and the five star rating, which points out some interesting matters. We feel very proud to acknowledge you feel so enthusiastic about your recent vacation at our premises and we hope this will not be your last visit. Comments like yours constitute some good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ satisfaction.
I have read all your comments, and certainly we are taking seriously your feedback and I see possibilities to improve so we are already working on them.

Continuously improving our performance in all areas is our main task.
Thank you so much for your contribution.

Best Regards,
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,854)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We recently visited Casitas for a week. This was my husband's first time at an all-inclusive resort and he was amazed at how much he loved it. It certainly was in a class of its own, in terms of the rooms, seclusion, service and food. The restaurants were more like fine-dining than regular resort quality. The pools were quiet and lovely. The palapas on the beach - with gorgeous white awnings and comfortable mattresses - were plentiful and luxurious. You never felt like you had to fight over beach or pool seating, as in some places. The resort itself is large and beautifully kept, with lush greenery and flowers everywhere.
We were lucky to stay in section 30, where Allen was our personal concierge. He attended to any issues or questions we had promptly and professionally and even accommodated a special request - to plant a memorial tree for my mother.
We took a morning yoga class each day, on a gorgeous spot overlooking the water. Nothing can quite compare to that! We were also able to use the smaller Casitas gym and virtually had it to ourselves.
Having the swim-up room was a definite bonus. This meant you could be in your own private space, in the water, with the ability to swim into the common-area river/swim-up bar.

Our only issues were in having to pay extra for certain things - like an organized run around the resort, many of the gym classes (Crossfit, Spinning etc) and any wine beyond the regular house brands (which were not very good, and I am not picky).
All in all, a wonderful trip! I would certainly recommend it!

3 Thank Sandy M
Dear guest and friend from Canada,

Thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to returning again. It's particularly pleasing to hear our team be referred to as Wonderful and we will ensure your feedback is passed on to them especialy Allen which made such a diffrence during your stay as far as i could read you were delighted with his service.
Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards from your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma home and the pearl of the Caribe

Best Regards
Fort Worth
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We returned to EDR for our 3rd stay (in 18 months!) to celebrate my birthday. We were lucky enough to upgrade from EDR to the Casitas side, and were 100% spoiled by the staff for our 5 night stay. If you can swing the upgrade, definitely do it! We stayed in the 26 section this stay (previous stays in 30, and 3 on the EDR side). 26 was being renovated during our prior stay (Nov 2013), and we loved the upgrades to the indoor shower and decor.

We were bummed that Fuentes wasn't open during this trip, but were able to try Santa Fe for the first time. Santa Fe's salads, soup and dessert were yummy, but not so impressed with the entree. D'Italia Casitas remains our favorite restaurant, and we highly recommend the osso bucco and the lobster lasagna. La Isla is our favorite for lunch (not very impressed with their dinner though). We also like Las Olas (Casitas 31) for lunches.

The service was absolutely outstanding. Our beach butler, Jorge and bartender Roman took fantastic care of us all day long by the pool and the beach. Our drinks were never empty! Our room was very clean, and our concierges (Charlie and Marlen) were so attentive.

We had amazing massages on the beach - one of our favorite experiences. We also enjoyed watching the World Cup in Guacamayas. We appreciated that they had a special event set up for this each day of the games.

We loved our evenings in the Martini bar. Berna and Brenda were so busy with all of the guests, but still made sure we had drinks with a smile.

We did have an issue getting beach towels one afternoon, and into the next morning - apparently they ran out of the Casitas beach towels. Charlie took care of it (of course), and we were fine. One of our lunch services was rather slow and inattentive at La Isla, but it's certainly the exception and not the rule.

They have added huge concrete "pyramids" to the beach to attempt to slow the erosion of sand. It does take away from the view, and the beach itself is fairly rocky (especially on the Casitas side). It's the one thing I wish was different about EDR/EDCR. We've continued to return though for the service and the food quality - gourmet inclusive is not just a marketing tool! It's luxury and comfort.

We really can't say enough about EDR/EDCR. I'd recommend it to family and friends. Great adults only getaway!

4 Thank TxAllieGrl
Dear travelers:

We have been honored with your having chosen our resorts for the thrid time and the fact that you show so satisfied with your experience makes us feel really proud of our site and staff.
Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services. I am sure every one your were so kind to mention will be glad nad will be waiting for your return.
It will be great to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable vacation.

Yours sincerely,
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from the El Dorado Casitas Royale and all though we had a lovely I don't think we would return again.

This was the second time that we have been all inclusive on holiday and we did not realise how much tipping was involved at the El Dorado to the point where I did not bring any cash with me just my credit card and paso for the airport tax and had to with draw dollars out as the porter at the airport bluntly told me to tip him and the driver of the taxi even though our holiday package included the taxi so in my eyes I have already paid for the service and the porter ripped our bags off us as we were leaving the airport. Then when got to our room and the bags were brought in the bell boy stood and waited for his tip which again for a 2 second job I couldn't believe and by this time it was eating into my airport tax money. I have no objection for tipping great service as it is well deserved and really feel it should be stated how important it is in Mexico and the El Dorado Royale/Casitas as the service you are given by waiters/bar tenders/bell boys/shuttle bus drivers give you quite a false service just so they receive some form of a tip which again being all inclusive we did expect. We did how ever tip for exception service we received from personal such as Luis our bar tender how was great and looked after us well and also our pool butler at Casitas 29 Irvine (or sounds like Irvine). They looked after us so well and never went looking for a tip but just wanted to help and be friendly with no falseness involved.

We had trouble straight away in our room as the safety deposit box was broken and the light in wardrobe would not turn off so this was disappointing and we missed most of our welcome meeting with thomsons as we had wait until the deposit box changed and light in the door was repaired. I don't know why they don't have digital safety deposit boxes instead of a lock and key which is really annoying to carry around with you! The concierge team were found really friendly and helpful (Luis and Martha). Always recognised us by name and had very friendly attitude to us every time we saw them. We were celebrating our 1st anniversary together and we organised breakfast in bed on our anniversary for 8am but it did not arrive so I called at 8.40am to ask where it was to be told there was a problem but it would with us in 15 minutes. It turned up 40 minutes later at 9.20am which I was really unhappy about and spoilt our morning. Our back patio sliding doors broke which was annoying and again had to be fixed and be careful as once you shut them you can't get back in your room unless you have your room key on you which I found out the hard way twice!

The hotel is very very clean with a lot staff keeping on top of everything such as the beach, plants, grass, walk ways, pools. The rooms are very spacious and again kept immaculate by the cleaners. Had a swim up room which we found was nice to have but our pool was like a pool party where everyone seemed to come to from other blocks and some would get completely drunk to a point where some American lad got aggressive to a woman and punched and kicked a wall and some else putting there ipod on instead of elevator music as she called it which was such rap and dance anthems songs which was loudly played. Again not what I signed up when we just want to relax.

The food was ok overall. We found breakfast and afternoon lunch the best as they had great Mexican options on the breakfast menu and the breakfast buffet at cocotel was amazing and the lunches had great variety. We mainly ate lunch at the health bar which was really good. Jojo's was a nightmare for lunch as it is really busy and under staffed to the point I had the wrong burger given to me and the beer I ordered never came. Omar the waiter there was pretty poor even for evening dinner again being nice when he thought you would tip. Evening dinners were ok but lacked something. The size of the meals are good even though they are gourmet and also the choice. We found that Sante fe was the best and jojo's was very good as well but again better at night than lunch at Jojo's. We had one really bad night where we went to Kampi and the service was really slow as they were over busy and under staffed. Food like ours and other guests came out stone cold and waited over an hour for our food. Really poor service that night.

The entertainment was quite tacy and preferred to watch the warm up acts as you have karaoke and stars in your eyes and a really tacy magician with boxes and knives as the entertainment. They did have some good shows which was the fire show and Mexican show but the entertainment was mainly for the American market and the fire show and Mexican show were on twice when we were there along with others and we were only there for 10 days so variety is really needed and quality acts to. We stayed at the bar near Kampi as it was a good distance from the entertainment and quiet and relaxing at night on the beach front.

The El Dorado Royale and casitas all mix into one and you pretty much have to go to the Royale every time as there is only 3 restaurants on the Casitas side. The pool in the Royale in the day is again a massive pool party with people smoking and getting drunk in the pool really loud music. Great if your into a Ibiza/Benidorm styled holiday but considering your paying for 'Paradise' which is often phased then it is quite annoying.Pretty annoying as well if you wanted to eat in la Isla for your dinner.

I know this seems like a total boring moan but we did have a great time and enjoyed the days more than the nights as the beach front is really relaxing with amazing scenery.

Maybe we would visit Mexico again but perhaps another hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daniel22613
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your very detailed review of your recent stay , I found your comments to be of great interest and provide alot of insight into our guest experience.

I truly hope that you will provide us the opportunity to host your holiday in the future so we can show you the impact your feedback has had on our resort and the vacation experience we provide to our valued guest

Best Regards
Beat Muller
gm@eldoradocasitasroyale.com.mx
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had a fabulous two weeks from the moment we arrived. The staff were so friendly and keen to please. Cesar our pool butler was perfect and really looked after us as did Cornelio our housekeeper making sure our suitecwas perfect in every way. We had a swim up suite in Casitas Which was in a great location. Thhe food was of a high quality with a good choice of menus and type of restaurant. We particularly enjoyed Kampaii the Asian restaurant. Our only disappointment was Jojo's restaurant wherevwe felt the food and service were not of the same high standard as the other restaurants. We would highly recommend a visit to th Casitas.

Room Tip: Swim up suite in Casitas area 28
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Val M
Dear Gues from United Kingdom

Thank you for your recent review.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and were so well looked after by the team
here at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
We will make sure our Cesar and Cornelio see your kind comments. They will feel so glad.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Sincerely yours,
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I spent our 11th anniversary at this resort, and we could not have been happier. The staff was friendly and eager to please, the food was outstanding, and the accomodations were spot on. The Casitas upgrade was worth every penny, although the "concierge" is more like a salesman for extras that the resort offers such as spa services and other upgrades. They were extremely friendly in their sales pitches, however. The beach isn't the best for swimming, but it is adequate and very pretty to look at. The private cabanas were our locale of choice, and the beach bar with Santiago working the day shift was our favorite place to relax. We elected to pass on any outings because we had everything we could want on the property. Definitely recommended for anyone looking for a relaxing romantic getaway, with the option to be active and social if that's more your speed. 9.5/10

Room Tip: Casita upgrade is worth every penny
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Andy S
Dear Andy S,
First of all my sincere Congratulations on your 11th Anniversary!
!I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. We are privileged to have been able to host you and your partner's Anniversary stay with us.
We very much appreciate your review which points out some interesting matters of the beach. which we are continuously improving our beach is one of our main tasks.
Thank you so much for your contribution.

Best Regards,
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We loved this resort. Great service and very friendly staff. The food was excellent. I am gluten free and they catered to my needs at every restaurant. We stayed in the casitas and had a swim to room. It was absolutely perfect for our honeymoon. The outdoor shower and jacuzzi tub were an extra bonus. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Layclyn
Dear Layclyn

It has been a great pleasure to receive your warm review describing your most recent vacation at our premises.
It shows it´s your heart speaking.
We thank your compliments to our staff, services, facilities and atmosphere and I hope you give us the honor of another visit pretty soon.
Looking forward to welcome you again for another memorable holiday,

best regards