“A lovely time at El Dorado Casitas”

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #26 of 395 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 August 2014

From start to finish our experience at El Dorado Casitas was really wonderful. We worked with Beach Bum Steve of Beach Bum Vacation and he handled everything for us, transfers, special requests…I will definitely use him for our next vacation. The resort was lovely and service was top notch. We had champagne on arrival in our room, lovely chocolates and flowers, turn down service every night, a signature fragrance of our choosing, and much more. Our personal concierge made our stay lovely by making our dinner reservations when we arrived so that we didn't have to think for the rest of our trip, to me that is a vacation! We had a couples massage by the beach which was one of the best I've ever had, and I have been to spas all over the world. Overall it was a perfect relaxing vacation which is just as I wanted, we did excursions to swim with the dolphins and zipline. We also went parasailing at the resort.

Overall it was a wonderful experience, the only thing that I will tell everyone to avoid is the sales presentation. It is presented as a 1.5 hour tour, it is a hard core sales presentation that takes up 3 hours, they do give you $100 in resort credit. But for me it was not worth the $ to give up any of my vacation time. It of course was my fault for agreeing to such a thing, so I can't really say is the resorts fault. I just wouldn't do that again.

Room Tip: Definitely go for Casitas section 28-29 with a swim up suite.
17  Thank jennifersA9528HD
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Jennifer S,

First of all, We thank you for having chosen us as your destination to enjoy a beautiful vacation.

I am glad that your experience was great I am very proud of all our staff. every single person is committed to the high quality service.

As you experienced, el Dorado Casitas is a magic place, and I appreciate that you share your time and your vacations with us and gave us the confidence to take care of you.

I apologize if we did not met your expectations, but we will look forward to have you back and get the five point qualification on your next review.

Thank you again for all your comments.

Best regards,

Joslin Fuentes
El Dorado Casitas

Write a ReviewReviews (5,083)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We visited here in August for our honeymoon and it is exactly what we were looking for! We stayed in the Casitas section 30, loved our beautiful room (and outdoor shower), took advantage of room service for coffee every morning which was amazing waking up to coffee! Carey, at BeachBum Vacations set us up perfectly with a swim up suite and honeymoon package! We loved our ocean side massages and candle light dinner was so yummy!! Everyone at the resort was so nice and always responded with "it's my pleasure" which was such a nice touch! Our favorite part of the beach were the queen size beach beds....absolutely amazing - the perfect place to take a nap. I would highly recommend this resort for a romantic getaway....the only thing that we did, that we wish we didn't, was leave the resort to go to Xel Ha.....our concierge talked us into it and it was way too busy with wayyyy too many kids for honeymooners. They also make you stay from 9-5...we ended up taking a cab around 3pm, which wasn't cheap, but we couldn't stay there any longer. I wish we would have gone parasailing or something else for sure! But as far as the resort, it was amazing and I would love to go back again!

17  Thank ColoradoRNMJ
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Had one of the best holidays and was made extra special by my friend Cesar at bar 27 thanks amigo his interest is genuine and he has no ulterior motive all he wants you to do is enjoy you holiday despite his standard of life being so different, Will definitely be going back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Adam P
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This was our 3rd trip to El Dorado Royal Casitas. We have always stayed in section 31 and could not have been happier. Alvaro the bar tender was fantastic. There were lots of newly weds in the pool and we had a great time trying to drink the cocktail menu. We had always stayed in November in the past, so I was a little worried it might be too hot in August. I learned the last of August is the time to go. The resort is at about 65% and there is never a problem getting a table for dinner. This trip we joined the club and are looking forward to many more trips.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get into the Casita sections. We paid the extra extra to be sure we were downstair...
Reviewed 20 August 2014

A short notice vacation with my wife was met by this! What a lovely experience. My regrets are that I didn't take more photos and I wasn't able to enjoy more of this experience in time we stayed.. If there was a negative, it would be that the beach was a little rocky and you would want to wear water shoes. But if you really wanted a Karisma hotel with a beach you can visit the Marona property. The evening shows are great, the food is great, the smiling staff are great. Evening strolls after dinner thru a bar of two towards the entertainment area is just right. As a side plus, the cabs to and from Playa Del Carmen are easily booked and the ride is only 20 minutes.

Room Tip: Definitely chose the Casita rooms; you will love the outdoor shower in (outside of) each room ;)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear guest,

I am so glad that you had an excellent experience with us.

I would like to thank you for the opportunity you gave us, to be part of your vacations and also for this beautiful comment about your days on the Caribbean Paradise.

We will be happy to welcome you again in this your second home.

Joslin fuentes
El Dorado Casitas Royale

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This place is what vacation is all about. The staff and facilities are unbelievable. Every single staff person there will bend over backwards to make your stay better. The swim up casita is the way to go. I can't say enough great things about this paradise! All inclusive restaurants makes the dining a pleasure, especially since they are all as good, if not better, than many 5 star places I have been to. This resort should be on everyone's bucket list!

Room Tip: Swim up casitas are a must! Pass on the Presidential. Everything else is tip-top!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KenWimer

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen us as the place to enjoy your vacations.

I am so glad that you love the Swim Up Casita, is one of the most popular categories. They are just beautiful.

I totally agree that our restaurantes should be in everyone's bucket list.

Thank you for taking the time to recomend us and share your experience with others.

Joslin Fuentes
El Dorado Casitas

Reviewed 18 August 2014

If you have booked or about to book your holiday here, you will have a fantastic time no doubts so book it and go for it!
We stopped in the Casitas 25 in early August 2014. This resort is superb. It is actually two resorts, the Royal and the Casitas, which share the amenities. We found the resort nicely spread out which gave the feel of space and enables you to visit a variety of bars, restaurants and locations throughout your stay. We used the taxi’s (golf buggies) to ferry us around, so easy but we did also walk.
We ate and drank at all the restaurants and most of the bars. The food and drinks are 10 out of 10; we could not fault any meal. Don’t worry, if the portions look a little on the small size, just order more. Our favourite were both Italians for evening meals and Jo Jo’s for lunch. However you can’t go wrong with any it just depends on your taste. We even give the health bar a try....fantastic chicken wraps and cookies.
All the staff are friendly and extremely helpful, from the maids and gardeners to the waiters, beach butlers and concierges. They all deserve a pat on the back, especially Daisy, Xavier, Julio and Ivan.
The rooms are spacious and have everything you would require; we especially liked the outdoor shower. Ours was on the ground floor and a short walk of maybe 20 feet to the pool area.
The grounds are immaculate with the wild life making it extra special, even the crocodile which can be seen from the balcony in Santa Fe.
We went on a few trips swimming with the Dolphins was excellent; however the free shuttle bus to Cancun wasn’t our thing. This dropped you off at a shopping centre which we have plenty of at home. Felt it was a waste of an afternoon and further more it was high end designer shops no Mexican market which is what we expected.
The niggles are (these are minor points) and would not affect my decision to go back – can’t wait!
The rooms in the Casitas can be dark, in the night time a stronger bulb or bigger main light would be beneficial and during the day it would help if the curtain could be drawn completely back from the windows to let more light in.
We were in Casitas 25, which is the first Casitas area from the Royal which was good as it in the middle of the resort but the downside at times we did experience large groups of younger people from the royal using our pool area. At times these could be very noisy and rowdy, but also entertaining. The second week our beach butler was a little more assertive with the non Casitas guests gently encouraging them to move on, this made our time around our pool perfect. Without sounding like a misery you pay a higher price for the Casitas luxury, so why should other guests use the facilities which are 10 foot from your room, when they have paid a fraction of what it has cost you! So thanks to Daisy for moving on the blue towel folk but I am unsure of what the policy is on this - other guests told us you can use the bar area and the pool but not the loungers around the pool unless you are in the Casitas
I still don’t understand the dress code; we read the advice and dressed as stated on each occasion. However sometimes people were asked to change out of beach wear during the day and of an evening people were eating in restaurants wearing sport style shorts. My opinion is, if you are going to have a dress code, enforce it, if not don’t state it everywhere.
WiFi in our room was not great but the hotel were very helpful to resolve and refund us - excellent customer services and they want to make/keep you happy.

4  Thank toddydec