“Amazing stay at El Dorado Casitas!”

El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #28 of 391 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Michigan
“Amazing stay at El Dorado Casitas!”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We arrived at El Dorado Royale on Sat 6/23 as we were originally booked in an Oceanfront Jacuzzi Suite. We were offered to upgrade our stay to a Casita for a very reasonable price, so we decided to upgrade.

ROOM: We had a really nice spacious room, comfortable bed, indoor and an outdoor shower... We were in Casita 2710 on the ground floor. We were able to walk out of our doorwall to a nice sitting area, then there was a covered area and then the swimming pool with a swimup bar and on the other side of that was the beach with beach beds.

PROPERTY: The property is very well kept and it is extremely large...with shuttle stops! There are several pools with swimup bars. There are 17 bars. The landscape is beautiful.

RESTAURANTS: There are a variety of restaurants and I have to say, every restaurant that we ate at, the food was outstanding!! We have been to a LOT of resorts, but this resort, the food was exceptional! The restaurants are shared with El Dorado Royale. Guests at El Dorado are also allowed to eat at the new resort on the other side of the Casitas called Generations, which is a family resort. We also enjoyed the Fuentes Culinary Theatre one evening during our stay. The wait staff all did an excellent job, very friendly, made great recommendations, etc. Some of them even remembered us from one day to the next.

Beach: We watched workers move these large cement pieces from one end of the beach to the other. We asked one of the beach butlers and he explained that they were building a reef, something about Kan Kaan (a snake). It has something to do with the Guinness Records, that they are trying to become the largest reef. We had spoken to a few people that had snorkeled and they all said that there were a lot of colorful fish.

A couple of shout outs to some of our new friends: Cesar at Bar 27...always had a smile on his face and called us 'the young couple' and would tell us about the evening shows, drink of the days, etc... Daniel, the waiter at Santa Fe and Kam Pai, and Samy, the waiter at Cocotal and Jo Jo's...

One thing to note is that if you are in a Casita, you can use all of the facilities on the El Dorado Royale, the swimming pools, restaurants, etc. If you are staying on the Royale side, those guests are not allowed to hang out on the Casitas side and use the swimming pools, beach beds, etc. The property is huge, so I don't think that it is probably a big deal, just sharing what we learned when we upgraded.

I highly recommend this resort...we will definitely be looking to go back next year around the same time. The place was extremely quiet, maybe less than 50% occupied, but it was really nice...we were fortunate to have had perfect weather too!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this resort!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for having chosen El Dorado Royal to enjoy your vacations. I am very glad that your experience at Casitas was great.

Thank you also for recommend us and for share your experience with others.

I will pass all your comments to my team, For us, there is no better motivation to exceed the expectations of our customers and be part of their memories.

We will love to have you back.

Best regards,

El Dorado Casitas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,773)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Alabaster, Alabama
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Our stay was perfect from the start. We were met immediately upon arrival with a glass of champagne and our luggage taken away for safe keeping while we explored the resort before checkin. The resort is huge but no worries because you can be swept away by all the friendly employees that frequent several stops in golf carts to take you to your destination of choice. The views are amazing, the beach is gorgeous, the rooms are relaxing and clean, the attention to detail is above standards, and the attention to needs is above expectations. We had a swim up suite jacuzzi room and I highly recommend the same. Being able to step out the back door into our own private pool was amazing. The nightlife and entertainment is fantastic!! You MUST go to the 10 o'clock shows everynight. OMG, Awesome performances and surprisingly wow'd every night. Needless to say, we will return again and again and recommend toeveryone we know.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

I loved your review!, thank you very much for share your experience with us.

The Karisma Gourmet Inclusive Experience is all about details. Details that all together make the difference and create unique experiences for every guest. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you very much for recommend us.

We will be waiting for you.

Isle of Palms, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Second time to stay here, for 10 days (August 10-20, 2014). What a beautiful place! Had a very relaxing experience and were well catered-to. Our room was very pleasant, quiet and clean. We had great butler service provided by Fabiola, Spectacular pool bar service by Miguel, and excellent beach service by both Ramiro (Rambo) and Maggy (who was not really in our area, but greeted us and took care of us whenever we were away from Casitas 32. Had terrific daily yoga classes provided by Isis and Muriel. We also saw two of our butlers from last year: Pablo and Ivan who remembered us and greeted us like old friends. The food at all of the restaurants was excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed the "cooking show" at Fuentes. The staff at the resort is so friendly and helpful, it's a pleasure to stay there and we look forward to going back again.

Room Tip: Have only stayed at Casitas swim up, which was quite nice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for still trust in El Dorado Casitas as the place to enjoy your vacations.

I am glad to know that our staff treated you as family, one of our goals is to make you feel at home.

Our passion is the service and our staff is the most motivated and friendly, thank you for mention the people involved in your unforgettable moments.

See you next time.

Warm Regards,

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I went to El Dorado Casitas Royale for our 5 year wedding anniversary and it was AMAZING!!! When you enter the property you are blown away by the views and friendly customer service. The gals at the reception were very friendly and knowledgable of the facility. We stayed in the Casitas area on the 2nd level with the infinity pool and I would highly recommend that room. The views were awesome! We loved Alvaro and Diego who were in charge of our pool area and bartender. They were amazing!!!! Pedro was great help as well and shuttled us various places and even picked us up for our dinner reservations. Karla and Sophia did a great job on the couples massages as well. Our conciege Primitivo was very helpful and did a great job helping us plan our time there. This place is hands down the best!! We also recieved the Anniversary package and it was the best! Dinner on the beach, breakfast in bed, credits for bottles of wine, 2 for 1 massages and the champagne and flowers. I give this place a 10 and we want to go back immediately!! Thank you again for an amazing trip!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the 2nd level inifinity pool, they have an outdoor shower as well
3 Thank Jamie S
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen us to spend your vacation.

I am very glad that you enjoyed the time in this Paradise and you make us part of this One time in a life celebration as your 5th year Anniversary!

We will hope to have again the opportunity to serve you for the 6th.

Thank you also for having taken the time to share your experience with others.

ny
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I visited the resort in August for our baby moon and we LOVED it!!! We had worked with Melissa from Beach Bum Vacations for our wedding at Azul Sensatori ( a sister property of this resort) and had such a great experience with her that we asked for her help booking our baby moon as well! It made our lives so much easier to book with her, she was able to book our hotel, flights, round trip transfers to and from hotel, and even got us trip insurance! She suggested staying at the El Dorado Casitas and we are SO happy we did! This resort is absolutely gorgeous!! We wanted something relaxing for the baby moon and Melissa had told us that the casitas were definitely the way to go for that and she was sooooo right. The casita area is way more private and luxurious and was completely worth the extra money. There are only a few casitas per pool in this area so you are only sharing the pool with a few other people and we had some really awesome couples sharing ours so that made the trip even better. The rooms are really nice, they have a big king bed ( we actually found it a little hard but we called concierge and within an hour they brought us a comfy mattress pad) and there is both an indoor and outdoor shower which was really cool. Also you get to choose what aromatherapy you want so it smelled really nice in the room every night too and we got to choose what pillows we wanted as well! And because we booked through Beach Bum, Melissa was able to upgrade us to a swim up suite which I HIGHLY recommend. It was so nice to go to the pool but also just hang in the pool right outside our room as well. Another nice thing about the casita area is that you can make a reservation at any restaurant which was perfect, we made all of ours the first day with concierge so we knew we would be able to try everything.

We LOVED the beach beds, they were absolutely perfect to relax on near the water. I spent hours just reading and laying on the bed and we never had to wait for one, they were always available. Maggie was our pool/beach attendant and she was amazing!!! Every day she would set us up with a bed or chairs at the pool and bring us water and even ice cream!! There was one day she was off when we were there and we actually really missed her!

Now for the FOOD!!!! It is sooooooo good at this resort, by far the best I have ever had at an all inclusive. I see some people have written that the portions are too small but I disagree. My husband and I thought the portions were perfect especially because you get an appetizer, entree, and dessert and you can order as much as you want! There were a few meals where I couldn't decide between 2 things so I just ordered both! The servers never make you feel weird about ordering too much either, they are all so wonderful and just want you to be happy. For breakfast Cocotal was great for the breakfast buffet and we also loved Santa Fe as well ( the french toast and banana pancakes are delish!)For lunch we really loved Jo Jo's for the fish and chips and the pork chop with apples. We also loved the pizzeria place for burgers and nachos as well.. one tip,if you go to pizzeria sit past the kitchen where it is breezier or it gets super hot. For dinner Kampai was really awesome, I went there twice, get the tempura fried california roll its so yummy, the spring rolls, chicken and beef satay,and the coconut ice cream with tapioca. They have a great lunch as well, we had some tai food for lunch there. D'Italia was also really great for dinner, I had this pasta with pesto and grilled shrimp that I am still thinking about! They make the pasta fresh there and you can definitely tell. Fuentes was a fun interactive dinner where you watch the chef making the food in front of you like a show and after he prepares each course in front of you they bring it out for you to eat. The only restaurant we were not crazy about was the Mexican one but seriously besides that one everything else was amazing.

We didn't do any excursions because I am pregnant but we did go to Playa Del Carmen using the free shuttle that they offer. We thought that was great that they offer free shuttles to and from Playa and also Cancun, just make sure you make a reservation with the concierge for it. We also went to two of the shows they had at the resort, the circus and also the pop star impersonators. They were really good!! Usually at resorts I find the shows to be kind of cheesy but we really enjoyed the shows at El Dorado!

The only thing I thought could be better was having more golf carts taking you around the resort. The property is really big so it was alot of walking. To be honest if I hadn't been pregnant it wouldn't have been as big a deal but really thats the only thing I thought could be improved. All in all it was one of the best vacations I have ever taken and we will for sure be going back ( soon I hope!)

Room Tip: Casita 29 was a great location- Maggie is the pool attendant and the bartender there is amazing as w...
21 Thank littlemissNy
Dear guest,

Congratutalions for your baby!! Thank you very much for having chosen us to celebrate such a good momento in your life.

I am glad that you had unforgettable moments in this your second home and you enjoyes the beach beds and the service provided by our staff.

We will be waiting for the next opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We have visited the El Dorado 5 times previous to this visit and I just love how much the resort changes from year to year, always trying to improve upon paradise and in my opinion succeeding. This year was the best vacation my husband and I have ever been on. This is quite a lengthy review so have tried to break it into the different areas.

Our first room was the same one we have stayed in several times before. It has been refurbished since our last trip to a high standard and is lovely. I do wish the curtains went back as far as they used to, as it has a gorgeous view of the sea which I love to take in. There was however a slight glitch with the aircon, as it was going to take a little while to fix the Casitas manager Joslin moved us to a gorgeous upgraded room with an infinity pool, more on that in a moment.

MANAGEMENT
Joslin is the new Casitas manager and really was an absolute pleasure to speak to. She is an artist at anticipating her guests needs and exceeding them. We saw her several times throughout our trip and she was so interested in guest feedback and prides herself on making your holiday special. We could really not have asked for anything more.

ROOM
The infinity suite was in the 32 section, lovely and quiet which is what we are looking for from our holiday. Indoor and outdoor shower, although we only used the outdoor. Private pool and outside bed and dining area. The biggest most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! Just gorgeous! Fabi was our room butler and ensured we had our room cleaned at a convenient time, turn down when we wanted and would often leave us little treats like chocolates or a bubble bath with candles when we returned after dinner.

POOL
The pool area for this section has Javier as the pool butler. Javier really made our trip memorable! He always had nice fresh towels for us, chilled water and a nice cooler. One day I ran out of books so he found out what I liked to read and searched the property for some more books for me that I might be interested in. Now that is EXCELLENT service! Miguel our bartender made it his job to find out how I preferred my drink made and had it ready for me before I knew I wanted it. The pool area was quiet enough we could always find loungers in the sun AND a beach bed in the shade but enough other people to have an atmosphere, perfect really. I would love to stay in this gorgeous area again.

SPA
I have seen some reviews where guests have not liked being approached by spa staff while at the pool. It you do want a treatment these guys are great! You don't even have to get off your lounger to book your massage and they will get you the best deal. We booked with Ananias who I would recommend booking through. He got me the time I wanted, the masseur I requested and got me a great price, all from the luxury of my pool floaty. If you don't want to book a gentle no thanks is sufficient.

BREAKFAST
We mostly ate at Sante Fe with Humberto, the best breakfast waiter or had room service. My husband loved the breakfast burrito! It was always fresh and tasty. We did miss Kampai breakfast, my husband missed having curry for breakfast this year.

LUNCH
Best place for lunch is definitely Kampai. Humberto is there too and will not let your wine glass go dry! We have been seeing Humberto for years now and he always remembers us and was genuinely so pleased to see us, a really lovely guy. It is now the only aircon restaurant for lunch so we ate there most days as it is pretty warm at lunchtime in August. My husband also really loved the whole fish now served at JoJos for lunch. Again we did miss Rincon Mexicana for lunch but there are plenty of options elsewhere.

DINNER
My favourite time of day! We ate a lot of delicious things but the outstanding restaurant always has been and continues to be D'Italia Casitas! Hector was our waiter most nights as we requested him. He paced our meals really well, very knowledgeable about the menu and on our last night spread rose petals on our table to my surprise. We had the pleasure of meeting Chef William this year the new head chef at D'Italia. He prepared us a gorgeous seafood based chefs table with some delicious dishes. We have been raving about his food since we have been home. Truly Michelin star standard! Thank you so so much Chef William, looking forward to seeing you next visit. Also thank you Chef Sergio for introducing us and for taking such good care of us as you always do in all the Casita restaurants.

WINE
There is a great selection of house wines but we really enjoyed some of the wines from the wine list. Eduardo the sommelier for the resort had some great recommendations for us and organised some lovely little surprises for us when we saw him. If you are unsure what to order, ask if he is about and he will recommend you some great wines!

OVERALL
Well as I have already said, the BEST holiday I have ever been on. I'm already planning my next trip. Thanks you too all the guys who made this a really memorable vacation, we can't wait to see you all again. Hasta Luego

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank afudge
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Casitas Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear guest,

I am very happy to read that this was the best vacation you have been on.
It was a pleasure to meet you and be a Little part of this amazing trip.

I really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with other travelers and that you recommend us. After being 6 times you are basically family for us.

El Dorado Casitas is a place full of details and romance, but also is full of moments. Moments created especially for you, for your celebrations, for your vacations.

Thank you very much for still trust in us.

Looking forward for your 7th visit,

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

If like me you trawl through the reviews prior to your holiday, after looking at previous reviews for this hotel you will be very surprised to see I have only given it 4 stars rather than 5? I am going to start with a couple of negatives and for these reasons only are why we have not given 5 stars.

Firstly coming from the UK, we believe a very important factor going to the Caribbean has to be white sandy beaches with warm crystal clear waters as it’s something you don’t get at home. Regretfully this hotels location doesn’t give you that. The beach is very rocky, if you go towards the Presidential Suites, you will find a small area of the beach which is better and a little less rocky. Also the view out to the ocean is spoilt by the huge rocks they are putting in. I understand why they are doing this, however it spoils the outlook completely. I do not swim in the sea as such, however part of our holiday is to walk along the beach and go for a dip to cool off, again it is very difficult to walk along this beach due to the shingle and small rocks along the shore.

My final negative is WIFI……why when you are spending £1000’s of pounds do you have to pay for WIFI…for each device! Coming from the UK, phone charges are premium whether it is calls or txt messages, therefore we rely on WIFI to be able to contact family and friends back home. Again if you do not want any communication with the outside world then this will not be a problem.

You may think I’m being very picky, however I believe when you are spending all your hard earned savings to come to a place like this, you need to make sure it ticks all your boxes so if you are not a beach person and you are not looking for panoramic views of the Caribbean sea then you will not have a single problem.

Apart from the negatives I have mentioned, I agree with all the other reviews, the hotel, the food, the staff, the grounds, pools are all excellent. The hotel is on a very large complex, which is great for you to have a walk round, you actually feel like you are in a small village rather than confined to a hotel.

3 Thank Donkey1969
Dear guest,

We really appreciate all your comments and opinions. For us is very important to know all our guests experiences.
As you said, everything depends on preferences however, we try to please every guest. That is our main goal.

We will love to have again the opportunity to be part of your holidays If you decide to give us another chance.

Thank you again for your lines.

Joslin fuentes