“Amazing Day - very safe and informative”
Review of Gran Scuba Diving

Gran Scuba Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba diving & snorkeling in Cozumel, Riviera Maya & Cenotes. Personal customized excursions for beginners, experienced and technical divers. Private transportation provided within the Riviera Maya at any time, day or night. Over twenty years diving experience around the globe I fell in love with the Mexican Caribbean and I want to share it with you. There is much to do and see, we are the best way to invest your time.
UK
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Amazing Day - very safe and informative”
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

Pepe was excellent; collected me from my hotel and arranged for all of my gear to be on the boat! As I am a relatively inexperienced diver Pepe put me at ease and we completed 2 fantastic dives off Cozumel onto the reef. Learning new techniques and increasing my scuba knowledge. Thanks for a great day, it'll stay in my memory.

Visited May 2013

“Pepe is the best guide!”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We had a wonderful time diving with Pepe. He made sure we were safe and having a great time on our 5 dives. Pepe also organized a full day outing for our family (8 adults and 2 children) that included a cenote dive for some of us while others snorkled and more snorkeling, visiting Tulum, eating fish tacos for all of us. Amazing!
I can't wait to dive with Pepe again!

Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pepe is a cut above the rest”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My brother (DM cert) and I (OW cert) put together a Dive week in Playa last October, no plan other than just show up and dive. We were able to dive 7 of our 13 dives with Pepe Urbina Bravo and it was stark the higher level of professionalism that Pepe showed over the other Dm's we dove with. He had me share air with him on our first dive together and I asked l why later. He could HEAR that I was going through my air faster than the other 5 divers we were with so he helped me out with some of his. Nice, eh! The advice that Pepe gave to me between tank 1 and 2 on that first dive allowed me to decrease my air consumption by 30% and increase my bottom time by 40% !. I was amazed, now this is what a Divemaster is supposed to be like, eh!!, and angry, that the other DM's that I dove with didn't see what Pepe saw. Or maybe they saw it, but didn't care enough to say anything. Pepe cares and it shows in all the extra effort he puts forth for his clients. My brother and I both noted that we felt much safer and more comfortable diving with Pepe than any other DM, his professionalism, knowledge and skill are self evident as soon as you enter the water with him. Not every Divemaster has these qualities, but Pepe is a cut above the rest.
If you follow his lead, you are guaranteed to have a once in a lifetime Good Time!! We followed his advice and the experience was the highlight of a great week of diving, what more can you say, eh!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank B_Campbell_85254
DC
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I take issue with your reivew of Pepe "Pepe is AMAZING”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This review may give inexperienced divers the belief that it is ok to venture into a cave when it's NOT. While Pepe may be an experienced dive master, guide and a nice guy he broke the cardinal rule of scuba diving. Do not take "non-cave certified" divers into a confined area with no egress above your head. I am an experienced diver (30 years) but not cave certified. On a trip to your with a group of five divers we had a similar experience. Fortunately, I was not the one to have experienced this. While everything turned out fine in both your situation and ours it could have been catastrophic. Cenotes are fun and exciting but for all you non-caver certified divers stay where you can egress above your head. It not worth dying for the thrill.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Diver1212
Granscuba, Owner at Gran Scuba Diving, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
I’m very sorry to read that you think that diving with me can be unsafe; I would like to take you diving one day and show you that is actually the opposite. As you can read in most of the post from people who have dove with me, they appreciate how much fun and how safe they feel diving at the ocean and at the cenotes with me, as any of my instructors for that matter.
I’m not sure how you end with this opinion but I can assure you I follow word by word the Safety limitations of Cavern (cenote) diving. Please keep in mind that Cave diving is one thing and cenote (cavern) diving is other ! Just as there are critical differences between diving in overhead environments and diving in open water, there are differences between cavern and cave diving. Among them:
Cavern divers keep the cave entrance clearly within site at all times; cave divers do not and may, in fact, penetrate hundreds or even thousands of feet beyond sight of daylight. Because cavern divers remain in close proximity to the cave entrance, they are still theoretically capable of making Emergency Swimming Ascents. The only difference between cavern and open-water diving, in this respect, is that a diver making an ESA from a cavern would be swimming out as well as up. In contrast, cave divers have no possibility of making ESAs, and thus must take additional steps to help protect themselves from the possibility of a loss of breathing gas.

While cave divers use highly specialized equipment, cavern divers use what is largely standard open-water gear (with a few, minor modifications to reduce the possibility of entanglement, improve buoyancy control and body position, and make equipment more accessible).
Eligible Open Water Divers can be safely toured using normal open water scuba equipment if accompanied by an experienced and qualified Cavern Guide.
Cavern Guides are certified Full Cave Divers who are also Open Water Dive Masters or higher. (in my case MSDT by PADI, deep advanced nitrox and full cave diver by IANTD with more than ten years teaching and guiding)
These qualified professionals must be outfitted with complete Full Cave Diving Equipment, Oxygen / First Aid, have successfully completed a Cavern Guide Program and display authorized identification.
Safety limitations:
Divers must always remain:
1) Within the natural Day Light Zone of the surface open water pools.
2) A maximum distance of 200 (60 meters) from the surface.
3) No deeper than 70 feet (21 meters).
4) Minimum visibility 50 feet (15 meters).
5) In large passages where at least 3 divers can easily swim side by side.
6) Air management using rule of thirds .
7) Within No Decompression limits.
8) Following a guideline.
9) At a ratio of No more than 4 participants per Cavern Guide
The golden rule of overhead environment diving is:
ANY DIVER CAN CALL THE DIVE
AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON.

I hope this put new light in your opinion and for sure I hope to have the opportunity to take you to the cenotes one day.
Please feel free to contact me for any further information.
All the best
Pepe
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Pepe is AMAZING”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I want to add our raving review of Pepe! Pepe was amazing, thoughtful and very professional. We had two wonderful days with him! I am a very inexperienced diver and he was patient and picked dives for us that were great experiences and safe. And the best part about Pepe is that he is a truly caring person. We had to cancel our third trip with Pepe because I got ill, and he was not only gracious about the last minute cancellation but offered to come get me to take me to a doctor or a pharmacy. Pepe is a wonderful dive guide and an even better person! Pepe you made our trip! Much Love!
Jacqueline and Bobby