“Again, it was awful…”

GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 October 2012

…hard to leave, this place we now call our second home. After three years absence, it was amazing to see the changes, meet new members of the staff and visit with staff we’ve known for years.

First and foremost, there is a substantial change in the attitude of all the employees. They are more excited to be working there than we’ve ever seen. More consistent days off, break times and empowerment by management to be more actively involved with input on how to make things better for guests and themselves. How this has happened, PASSION! And it starts from the top, from the owners, to most importantly two individuals at the resort, Paula Negrete – the General Manager and Enrique Vega – the Resident Manager. They set the tone for what guests experience and for that we are grateful!

Aside from what others have posted, there are areas that I feel need to be mentioned.
1) THE GROUNDS: First impressions are STUNNING! We took the time to understand why and how they make it so. The gardeners and maintenance crews spend hours paying detailed attention to their work that it is true artistry. One of the head gardeners, Bruno a 56 year-old man, is out on the beach each morning at 6:00AM, raking the seaweed, rain or shine! Then planting, pruning and sweeping until 5:00PM. The maintenance crew was constantly repairing cracks in walkways with beautiful designs with hand placed stones.
2) THE FOOD: Definitely has been pushed up to a higher level. I can only attribute this to the executive chef, Griselda Rodriguez. This young woman’s life is solely focused on her career, taking gastronomy to the highest level possible. Her staff was always cheerful and happy in their work and the meals reflected their passion as well.
3) SUSTAINABILITY: In addition to a recycling program, they now have a supply of fresh vegetables and herbs grown in greenhouses on the grounds at El Dorado Royal. This ensures better quality food on your plate and the taste difference, try it, you’ll like it. Also, I would like to encourage other guests to inquire about the painted baby coconut palms on the picnic tables by the outdoor grill, we were glad we did!

More often than not, guests at resorts take for granted all that goes on behind the scenes. This trip we truly understand how and why this is an extra special spot. Getting to know more of the staff surely enhanced this visit beyond our expectations. So stop, take just a moment out of your vacation time to say a simple “thank you” to any staff member.

My heartfelt “GRACIAS POR TODO” to…
Anicieto, Carlos, Hiram, Esperanza, Grizelda, Galdino, Angel, Porfirio, Marcelino, Itzchel, Pedro, Jesus, Alex, Sariah, Rosy, Raul, Manuel, Oscar, Reina, Daniel, Brenda, David, Nancy and the list goes on…”Inklakesh”

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank CTinSO
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 2 night stay at Hidden Beach. This was a buisness/pleasure trip as my wife is a travel agent and we went to see a few resorts in the Riviera Maya area. I have read several bad trip reports on this site about Hidden Beach and for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would have had a bad experience at this resort. I understand everyone's experience is unique to there trip but we have stayed at many resorts throughout the caribbean, mexico and all points inbetween. On our first impression being shown the grounds..my wife's first comment was how beautiful the resort was. Next being shown the beach, pool, restaurant and our room we could only comment on how stunningly beautiful this resort was. The rooms are immaculate and the mini-bar well stocked and refilled everyday. The only down side in the room was shower water temp(it fluctuated as you showered) Yes they only have 1 restaurant but let me say this. I'm a foodie and the culinary experience at Hidden Beach is top notch gourmet. If you want to further your culinary experience you can dine next door at El Dorado Seaside Suites(you must wear cloths) We ate next door and the food was as equally satisfying as at Hidden Beach. Now for the best part of our stay...The people...On our first venture down to the pool..several couples came up and introduced themselves to us and we made many friends while staying there and plan on meeting up with them on future stays there. The staff is what makes Hidden Beach stand out even further...From the waiters..Jesus and Angel to the bartender..Hiram and to last but not least Esperanza! They meet you once and they instantly remember your names for the rest of your trip and they go well above and beyond to accomadate you during your stay. Would we stay here again?? ABSOLUTLY!!!..We are already trying to plan our next stay and this time it will be for 1 week! I would also like to throw out a shout out to Oscar...He is in charge of pretty much everything at Hidden Beach as he works endlessly to ensure you have a pleasurable stay there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank sensei008

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We just returned from a 10 day trip to HBR. As usual the staff was very attentive and eager to see to your every need. Carlos, at the swimup bar keeps everyone entertained with his antics while making the best drinks. Esperanzo doesn't let your glass run dry while you are out on the beach.
The rooms are very modern and clean. The only room complaint is the water in the shower does not stay a consistent temperature. The dinner menu has a different main course each night but the soups and salad remains the same each night and gets a little boring after 3 or 4 nights, so we had dinner next door at Vida, Mexican, Asian and Italian and they were all outstanding, it would be difficult to choose which one was best. We had a massage on the beach down by the disco and it was great. Paulino did mine and I really enjoyed it, he does a great job. The catamaran trip on Wednesdays is so much fun. Pepe and his crew are the greatest. They serve lunch on the beach under a tarp shade with a table & chairs, no more sitting in the sand to eat. You have the opportunity to go snorkeling, ride the spinnaker or just take a swim in the ocean and yes it is all nude. We have stayed at a number of nude resorts but this one is our favorite and it is so clean. We are looking forward to our next trip to HBR!

Room Tip: We have stayed in swimups and second floor rooms. They are each equally nice. The swimups are a lit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank linro704

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Our first trip to HBR was a wonderful experience. The staff (Anticeto, Pedro, Danny, Stephanie, and everyone else!) took care to learn our names and things that we preferred. Even a downpour rainstorm was a fun time when the staff brought bottles of champagne and other drinks to everyone who had taken shelter in the large hot tub in the Moonlight area. We will most definitely be heading back and cannot wait!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Nsitter

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I know that I said that I would never return to Hidden Beach again after the last bad experience I had while taking a LARGE group. The more that I thought about it the more that I felt I was punishing HBR itself and staff and not the owners. Many months after my last review of the resort I was contacted to find out what was the problem (of course they had be notified on 18 different occasions). Told them and then never heard from them again.
WELL, I digress from my current review. I took another group back to HBR in June. They had remodeled all of the rooms, restaurant and the palapa beds on the beach and around the pool. And it was great. New bars in the rooms (not on the wall). Premium liquor in the rooms but never opened any because by the time I got back to the room I was liquored out. The staff was still great with many of the same faces. One thing about HBR is that everyone calls you by name 30 min. after arrival. Even though it had been a few years the staff truly remember who you are. The food again was wonderful (a little disappointed that the menu didn't change each day as in the past). Always lots of activities to do if you want to participate. They built a new spa up front of the main resort that is beautiful. I use to get 4 to 5 massages during the weeks stay but the price is now $109 for 50 minutes so I just got one. It was still great. One of the places that you can have the massage is on second floor of one of the palapa beds on the beach and it is very relaxing...you can hear the sounds of the ocean while relaxing and taking it all in. The theme nights were a lot of fun and the bands were outstanding. For cowboy night they even had a mechanical bull. They go to a lot of work for a small personable resort.
This year I took some of the group on the nude cruise sponsored by the resort. In the past I had taken a different nude cruise which was nice and was part of the problem with the resort. I will say that this was excellent and I would recommend it highly. They picked up about 30 of us from the resort (HBR & Eldorado) on a charter bus and took us toward Playa to a marina owned by Eldorado. This is also a starting point for other excursions. We were given comp drinks at the bar under the main Palapa before boarding the catamaran. On the catamaran there was a crew of 4 (including the Captain) and they humped it from start to finish. They were serving top notch drinks on a dead run and were always smiling. Almost to the stopping point the broke out platters of fruit and platters of stuffed jalapenos, cheese sticks and chicken fingers. Then we all dropped into the water for a leisure snorkel. Returning to the boat they opened up the main sail, tied a bosun's chair and played dunk the pirates with each person taking a turn on the chair. Not done yet, they took us as close as they could to a secluded place on the beach where the had brought tents, tables, chairs and sterno's of food via 4 wheelers for a meal on the beach. They loaded up all of the booze on the boat and carried it to shore. One of the travelers had a brace on his leg and was willing to stay on board, not to be had, 4 guys picked him up and carried him to shore and back to the boat. WE did all of this for less than $100 each. So, thanks to all of the Staff at HBR for making it a great trip.

Room Tip: There are not any bad rooms. Everything faces the water. Main choice is swimup or oceanview.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank jerway

Reviewed 25 July 2012

My wife and I spent a wonderful week at HBR in April 2012. The service was wonderful as always and the renovations and improvement to the rooms since our visit in 2010 are amazing. They have european AC units in each room that have eliminated the condensation problems of the past. The new floor plans makes the bathroom and shower must better. Everything was wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NFSUNNY

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My wife and I spent 7 nights at HBR and we are glad we chose this wonderful resort.
I have broken down the review by subject and even though I would like to say everything is a 5 and everything is perfect I will do my best not to (even though it was).

Transportation:
We traveled with another couple and chose the stretch Limo. The price was a couple dollars cheaper for the private Limo than it would have been for two couples to pay for the basic limo (bus) and you are quickly taken care of. The Limo was your typical Lincoln it had beer and champagne in a cooler that made the 40 minutes enjoyable. We asked the driver to stop at a store to pick something up and he gladly did. They did not take Dollars at the store so the driver paid with his own pesos, we were beside ourselves and tipped him well for going the extra mile. After about 30-40 minutes you pull into a private drive that is gated and guarded then proceed down the road for about ½ mile to the two resorts. The Seaside suites are large and filled with boutiques behind a glass facade while HBR is to the side and un-noticeable except for the large double wooden arched doors and small HBR logo sign.

Arrival:
Once through the guarded double doors you notice the grounds are very well maintained. The Concierge asks you to take a seat and gets you all situated while the staff hands you a cool wet cloth and drink. He can set you up with the nude snorkel cruise at that time. Before long you are on your way to your room with the bellhop and bags. All in all it was quick and painless.

Room:
It was very clean and everything in working order. Double sinks, large walk-in shower, big flat-screen TV with satellite (didn’t use) IPod docking station and more. The bed was comfortable with quality linen. Maid service was very good and thorough. Turndown service each night with animals made at the foot of the bed. We had the swim up suite next to the disco, this could have been a problem if the disco rocked all night but this was not the case, 10PM or so it was usually quiet. The Jacuzzi bathtub was large enough for two and deep. The breeze and beach sounds through the screen door made sleep come quickly. All in all the room exceeded our expectations.

Pool:
Nice midsized pool with a Jacuzzi large enough for lots of people. The pool bar had about 8 seats and the drinks were not watered down. They may not have had all the name brands but they had enough top shelf hooch to keep all but the pickiest of people happy. The grill at the pool served a good lunch every day to include beef, chicken, pork, a few kinds of salads, homemade chips and dip and grouper that was really good.

Beach:
The beach itself was meticulously kept and sand flees controlled very well. There were plenty of comfortable lounge chairs with shade and king size beds that swung gently. Palm trees all over for additional shade. Unfortunately the water was not inviting. There was a very small area in the center that you could walk out to without stepping on rocks. It was about waist deep and the sandy bottom was big enough for lots of people once you got out there but like I said it was a small part of the beach. This was our one and only disappointment as we love the beach and cherish our time being lazy floating in the ocean. About 10-15 % of the guests stayed on the beach with the vast majority at the pool.

Clothing worn:
During the day 100% of the men and 90% of the women were nude the rest were topless but once in a while someone would be fully clothed or in a full bathing suit and this was never an issue they were always welcome in discussions and were never looked down upon for wearing something. During breakfast 60% were dressed and the rest wore a sarong or towel around the bottom half. During dinner 90% of the guests dressed in casual attire.

Food:
Food at HBR was far better than the food that was included next door at the seaside suites. We ate at all the restaurants and were mildly disappointed each night, however when we ate at HBR we loved every meal. If I were to do it all over again I would never have left HBR for any meal. Breakfast was good with plenty to choose from, eggs to order and very good fresh fruit, cheeses and breads.

Disco:
The Disco was the source of entertainment after dark and was used by a few folks each night. It was not an out of control party fest at any point while we were there. There is an additional large hot tub here where you could find half the guests with the other half on the dance floor. About 50% of the folks wore nothing or close to nothing with the rest in their casual attire from dinner.

Staff:
I have never been to a place where the entire staff was as attentive as these fine folks were. Nothing is ever a problem and they work so darn hard to ensure you have a fantastic time. The staff truly makes this place special. They knew me by name within minutes and greeted me every morning with a cup of coffee prepared exactly how I like it. Very professional staff that cares about what they are doing.

Guests:
Everyone was friendly and respectful of each other. Half the guests were repeaters who have known each other for several years. They went out of their way to make other folks that were not part of their group feel as if they were always welcome to join in whatever they were doing. Some folks were content to be lazy on the beach beds while most hung around the pool playing volleyball and drinking.

Will we go again next year? Probably not, we are still exploring the Caribbean.
Will we be back? Absolutely!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple