“Hidden Beach versus N Resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was our first time at Hidden Beach Resort (HBR), and we concur with other reviewers who will tell you that HBR is a first-class operation. The grounds are well-kept, the rooms look first class, are comfy, everything works right throughout the entire resort, and everything is spotlessly clean. What was most impressive, however, was the quality of food and service. The staff is absolutely outstanding. When people say that, they really aren't lying. The staff is always friendly and extremely helpful, and every meal really was a gourmet delight. It will take you a long time just to read the menus. We found nothing at all to fault about the food or service. And the guests are the other ingredient that makes the experience great. They are all a bunch of happy people who greet you with a smile and in 15 minutes you are on a first-name basis with them. No sex perverts, just down-to-earth types who are there to relax and have fun. It becomes like a vacation with about 80 of your closest friends, and that just cannot be beat.

My big complaint is that the beach at HBR is just too "hidden." There is no way to get in the ocean water at HBR. You can put on a swimsuit and go next door to El Dorado, where you can swim in a nice excavated swimming area and go for a long clothed beach walk. Unfortunately, to do this you'll have to exit HBR, enter El Dorado, pick your way through thousands of beach lounges and then share the beach and ocean with all 2,000,000 guests at El Dorado. If that isn't bad enough, none of these people know how to smile. What a bunch of downers. Sheesh, we walked a mile and I don't think a single person even acknowledged our existence, but it's okay because they all ignore each other, too. HBR ain't cheap, so it just irks me that HBR doesn't even give you the same surf-protected area for ocean swimming that the El Dorado folks get! They even have a good place to excavate a swimming area. As much as I like HBR, it is hard to forgive that omission.

We stayed at N Resort in Jamaica last year. A lot of guests at HBR were making the comparison, so I'm going to add my two cents' worth of comparison. N is much older, much cheaper, not in nearly as good condition, and the food is very good in its own right -- but almost nothing compares with the food with HBR. However, N has some things that HBR doesn't have: N has a fun water slide; lots of poolside games like bean bag toss; fun activities like "goat racing," a fun piano bar, and most importantly, N has an actual beach where you can go for a swim or a long walk (clothed or not) and just laze in the water. If I go to a nude beach resort, I expect to have a place where I can swim in the ocean nude. Duh!

To summarize, I think HBR is relaxing, luxurious, and expensive, whereas N has better activities, is generally more fun, about half the cost, and pretty tired looking. Which is better? Depends on what you want in your vacation. My wife prefers HBR and I have mixed feelings because I like the luxury at HBR (but don't require it) but I definitely miss the activities at N. If HBR gave us a beach with a place to swim and some more activities, it would be preferable. Or if N got a good dose of maintenance and updates, that would make a difference in their favor.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 1129 and 1130 -- not because they are bad rooms (they're nice and quiet) but because...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
16  Thank facelessdrone2005
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was our first time at a naturist resort. We had always been curious, but we wanted a place that is truly naturist, NOT "lifestyle", no way for us!! But we travel a lot, our standards are very high, also had to be luxurious. Plus, we adore Mexico. When we found this place last year, it ticked all of our boxes, we had to book.

We just ended 10 GLORIOUS days here, this place exceeds expectations beyond anyone's wildest dreams!!! We had a swim out room, we really highly recommend those. We had heard the water in the pool is chilly, they have certainly warmed it up, the temperature was perfect! The grounds are paradise, the beach has lots of coral, but is pristine and just gorgeous. We did not mind not having a user friendly beach, as long as it is clean and beautiful, this fit the bill. Gorgeous palapas, loungers, hammocks, always plenty available. We also had a romantic, ahhhhhhh candlelit lobster dinner in an upper palapa, included in our package and really nice. Great hot tubs, both outdoors and in the moonlit disco.

The entertainment was hit or miss. The nights with live music were always the best, and they booked really excellent bands, here. We also enjoyed the cirque du soliel and mardi gras live acts, really beautiful. But when it was just a DJ at the lounge, could get tedious. A couple of nights ago, however, the DJ really picked it up.

The food is decidedly mediocre, luckily we did not come here for the food. The best meal was always the lunch beach BBQ, EXCELLENT, and the beachside chef is SO sweet, we love him!! Great chef, too!! The breakfast buffet was fine, and I had delicious eggs benedict one morning. The dinners mostly fell flat. The best was the Japanese/sushi, excellent pad thai.

The best part of Hidden Beach, bar none, the people, staff and fellow guests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In our ten days here we have made more lifelong friends than we made the past ten years, just really lovely, warm, fun people. We agree, this place has the most rock solid marriages we have ever seen, too, really cool. As for the staff, WOW!!!! ALL superstars!! Awesome America greets you with pure warmth and charm. The restaurant, Carlos at the bar, Angel, Jesus, there are several other waiters, I forget names, but they were ALL just delightful!!!!! Aldo is in charge of entertainment, remember the words "ILoveYouAldo", you may win a cool t shirt. But he is FUN, from water volleyball, poolside trivia, bingo, getting everyone dancing for the night time entertainment, Hidden Beach is SO lucky to have Aldo! He is a gem, everyone here loves him, and a genuinely NICE guy!

The only staff issue involved a manager named Miguel. We had booked a private mariachi act for a friend, arranged the time a day in advance. When my girl pal and I went to the lobby to fetch the act, there were delays, delays, but at no time did the girl at the desk say we were early and had the time confused, she confirmed we had booked it for the time we expected. We were missing the party, my husband came to see if we were OK. Miguel showed up, my husband explained that us girls had told him, we booked the party for 5. Miguel Diaz lost his temper, told my husband that since "he was not present when us girls booked it, that made [my husband] a LIAR", yep, he actually called my husband a "liar"!! My husband was "guilty" of 'hearsay,' but he was NOT "lying", what a shabby way to treat highly paying guests who are simply trying to schedule a mariachi band!! But he was the only bad apple in the bunch, the rest, absolutely stellar!!!!!!

Book a beach massage, Joshua gave an excellent massage.

Our room tender, Angelica, was a DOLL!! Did fun towel art even incorporating my party wig, we laughed so hard. She also filled my tub with piles of bubbles and flower petals, we just love her, so dear and sweet!!!!

A complaint, they need to tend the mini bar daily. They came twice in ten days, and with only 42 rooms, we were baffled. When we called for a restock, it took hours, too.

As we said, this was our first naturist time. But after a half hour, you honestly really stop noticing, every single body type, age, it really becomes something that seems fine. Like I said, this is NOT "lifestyle", if you want shenanigans with anyone other than your partner, book elsewhere!! But if you want THE ultimate, gorgeous, luxurious, small, personal, beautiful resort, in a stunning part of Mexico, with the finest fellow guests and staff on the planet, with fun relaxed naked relaxation, book here, like, now!!!

14  Thank weloveiguanas
EDSS S, Director General at Hidden Beach Resort by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Hidden Beach Resort.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We returned to El Dorado Seaside Suits/Hidden Beach Resort for our birthdays and wedding anniversary. From the moment.we stepped off the transfer transport it felt like "Coming home".
We were allocated a Swim-up room (1106) which was just Perfect from the accommodation layout to the 7 foot bed. After an eleven hour flight with a two hour delay in UK, transfer time and a very quick booking in process all we wanted was to shed clothes and have our first cocktail. A Rivera Maya for my good lady and an attitude martini for myself dressed Au naturel of course.
Many previous guests have named various staff members so I will not repeat what has already been said other than most of the staff have been in residence for-ever and their attitude has not changed.
I agree with other Trip Advisers that Hidden Beach is not cheap, but if you want the BEST then you have to pay for it. The only way to reduce costs is to purchase an Exotic member package for a varying number of weeks which will give substantial discounts on the resorts rack rate: we did whilst on vacation to future-proof holidays.
On Valentines day my wife and the ladies really enjoyed a visit from Cupid aka Ruben - gold colour suits you!!!
We did venture to EDSS on several occasions for evening meals and we enjoyed the Vida garden restaurant and Mexican - thanks Nelson for your skills at plate decoration of Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary
We are sooooooo looking forward to our next visit to HBR that we are counting down the weeks.
Finally a VERY BIG thanks to all the staff for making our last vacation Super Exerlenty

Room Tip: Swim-up rooms are in our opinion are the Best - no stairs. 1200 numbered rooms best if you want pea...
2  Thank david p

Reviewed 20 February 2014

As they say after you return to HB, "welcome home" and they mean it. You won't find a friendlier nude resort (or any other for that matter) anywhere. The resort is small but very upscale which is rather rare in the naturist market. The value here is the staff and the people you meet. The activities on the resort are limited and the late night life is very low key, most people are in their rooms by 11pm. The food is good and the access to the adjoining El Dorado Seaside Suites' multiple dining venues makes for excellent variety. There are many opportunities for outings through the tour desk. Most people don't bother putting on clothes for anything but dinner next door and the tours if they like that sort of thing. The rooms are not large but all the infrastructure elements work like they should. They do need someplace to sit in the rooms beside the bed but since most people don't spend much time in the room, that doesn't seem to bother people too much. The pool is beautiful and there are activities daily (mostly volleyball). The beach is shady but the sand is not natural and is very private (except the occasion sneaker from next door who is roundly booed (not really.) Overall the friendliness and personal attention of the staff are this resort's strongest features. They somehow remember everybody's name even if it has been months since the last visit. If you like a quiet, upscale, beautiful, clean and friendly place to relax and enjoy meeting fellow naturists, this is your place.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms are great but you can save a great deal of money by climbing a few steps and the v...

Reviewed 17 February 2014

The resort grounds are beautiful and were kept clean at all times and all places. Even observed them using a rotary buffer on an outside, concrete walkway. I would have expected a quick sweep, and maybe a hose down. Our room, a swim up suite, was wonderful in every way. While they cost more I think the location and advantage given by your private porch more than make it worthwhile. The beach is far from the best so if that is high on your list of requirements you will not be happy.

This is an all-inclusive resort and drinks were plentiful and good. I am far from being a foodie or food critic, but this is one area that needs some improvement. Food was not bad, but nor was it memorable. Beautiful presentations, but mostly bland from a taste perspective to me. We did not dine at neighboring Seaside Suites which was available to us.

I have never encountered a more friendly and personable staff than what we found at Hidden Beach. Not just one person, but every staff member who helped you our just walked past in the performance of their duties. Cheerfulness, personalities, going out of their way to greet you and to make you feel welcome and appreciated, just outstanding.

Room Tip: swim up rooms would be my choice at all times
2  Thank rockhill2124

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I read all the great reviews AFTER I returned from my trip to Hidden Beach yesterday will agree they were all spot on. If you want detailed info take the time to read theirs, but in a nutshell 1) the staff is incredible; they seem like family and exceed in friendly professionalism. 2) Reuben & Aldo are funny as activity directors, 3)Carlos and Esperanza give exceptional poolside service, 4)Carmen the maid was amazing (spotless rooms),5) and the guys in the dining room, Acento (?) aways a smile and that 'whatever I can do for you" attitude. I've never felt so special and appreciated. 6)The grounds are lush and intimate or you can join the activities around the pool. 7)The food -- ow wow -- the food was fantastic. This place was chic but not stuffy. Friendly with lots of repeat visitors, it's that good.

Room Tip: Their are two sections of rooms, the disco and hot tub being behind one of the sections. If you don...
1  Thank Dawn P

Reviewed 9 February 2014

HBR is, by far, the best resort I have ever visited. the grounds are immaculate, the food is amazing, and the staff are incredible!! Its fantastic there! my husband and I first stayed there in 2012 and we were so impressed that we bought an exotic travellers membership(approx 10,000.00 US) just to get a better price, because we wanted to come back every year! this last november (2013) we were there for two weeks, paying 113 pp,pn, that includes our membership discount. I just checked booking for this year and after member discount will have to pay 230 pp,pn. they doubled the price! they were making good money before, now they're just greedy. I am incredibly disillusioned with this. The staff at the resort are truly the best, but the owners are obviously, snakes.

Room Tip: get a swim up room, its awesome, but be prepared to pay an extra 100.00 per night for it
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple