“Generations Riviera Maya”

Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma
Ranked #56 of 390 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just returned from 10 days at Generations Riviera Maya. We had originally booked El Dorado Royale. Prior to arriving we had e mailed El Dorado and Karisma Hotels (Received replies) requesting a top floor, ocean view room. Unfortunately, it appeared they had paid no attention to our emails, as we were allocated a ground floor room (Upgraded to swim up, which did not get any sun!!) On complaining, the hotel asked if we would wait 24 hours and they would move us to a top floor room. 24 hours later we were allocated a "2nd floor" room. After having to complain again, we were finally "upgraded" to the new Generations Hotel. However, Generations is not an adults only hotel (Which is why we booked El Dorado) and at times was very noisy (Music and "loud" American guests) Also, unable to swim in sea, due to man made reef being constructed. However, on the plus side, all staff were very polite and helpful. All the resort restaurants are fantastic, the grounds are beautiful and staff fantastic.
All our problems would not have occurred if the hotel had given more thought to our requests. Finally, it seemed a lot of guests were being "upgraded" to Generations from El Dorado because it is new and they are trying to get it known.
If you are looking for a quiet time, may we suggest El Dorado Casitas and not Generations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank BruceLiz
KarismaHotelsResorts, Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review , it was a pleasure to host your holiday . we are truly very sorry that your room requests were not honored and I will be discussing this with the Front Desk Manager . Room requests are subject to availability and whenever we do not have the specific requests we do try to assign the next best option. we are sorry that you did not feel upgrade to a swim up suite or our new property Generations Riviera Maya enhanced your vacation experience.

All adults staying at the Generations Riviera Maya has full access to the El Dorado Royale however guests at the El Dorado Royale do not have access to Generations Riviera Maya.

again we appreciate your feedback and our Head of Customer services will be reaching out to you by private message in order to conntinue our communication on a one to one basis.

Best Regards

Hotel Manager
Generations Riviera Maya

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Before you start reading this, I would like you to note how many of these EXCELLENT reviews are from first time reviewers... it's the majority of them. Interesting.)

Your enjoyment of this resort is going to depend greatly on your expectations and prior travel & dining experiences. For us, it was not what we were looking for. We were looking for a relaxing place where we could enjoy good food and drinks and have access to child care on-site for our 18 month old daughter. Unfortunately, this is not what we experienced. First off, I have to say that we booked this resort because we received a great deal by booking before the opening. We’ve stayed at two other resorts in their opening year and had excellent experiences (notably Garza Blanca Preserve in Puerto Vallarta which I would highly recommend and is infinitely better in this price point – we were just about to book a return trip there until I found this “deal” and I was drawn in by the on-site childcare.)

If you are traveling with children, I would like you to note that there is NO way to stay comfortably in the standard suite. The glass “divider” is a joke and you really can’t keep it closed if you would like good circulation of the A/C. Also, there is a pass through from the living area to the bathroom, so forget about showering or enjoying the Jacuzzi after your child goes to bed. The other HUGE problem we experienced was the noise from the nightly entertainment. I thought this was a resort geared towards families but the noise from the entertainment was like having a night club in your room (it was done by 10pm, so this might not bother you, but it was so loud it was almost comical). Our poor daughter couldn’t sleep and we had to upgrade rooms so that we could put a wall between her and the noise (and us! And the bathroom!). I will tell you that management gave us a “deal” to upgrade to the 1 bedroom and they thought we should feel overwhelmed with appreciation for this – but the resort was all but empty. We were the only ones at dinner nearly every night. They could have easily put us in a 1 bedroom to send happy customers out into the world – customers who were willing to take a chance on them during their first few months, but nope it cost us our entire babysitting/tour fund to upgrade, so we didn’t even get to utilize those services – so the 2 reasons we came – the price and the childcare – were immediately negated. Oscar, the reservations manager, also told us the noise was not typical and was just from a wedding (because we had actually originally asked to switch resorts entirely) - that was a flat out lie. It was loud every night there was entertainment (which was most nights).

THE GOOD:

-The Service is EXCELLENT (with the exception of management which was good but not great). The staff and service are very friendly and very attentive. I actually can’t say enough about them and they seem very genuine (I did not find the management to be as genuine as the staff.)
-It is extremely clean. The staff is cleaning around the clock and they do an excellent job.
-The grounds are very pretty and well maintained. With the exception of the beach, everything was beautiful.
-The rooms are beautiful and if you are traveling as a couple, the standard room will work fine for you. The 1 bedroom was VERY large and very nice. We also liked having the outdoor shower. The infinity pool was nice, but really too cold to swim in. We did sit on the loungers while our daughter took her naps though, so the additional space was nice.
-Kids Club. It was nice and the employees seemed friendly and attentive. I wouldn’t know first hand because we didn’t get to use the babysitting services.
-The food was generally good. Gourmet? No. Gourmet presentation, I’ll give them that. But if you have experience with fine dining, you will not feel that it’s gourmet. Some things were really good, some things were borderline inedible. However, it was better than the food at somewhere like a Sandals, for example. We found the breakfast buffet to be good with lots of choices. I heard people say it was monotonous, but I think that would be your own fault. Our favorite restaurant was Habb. Wine Kitchen was good too and we found the portions to be the size we would expect at a “gourmet” restaurant. Jade was horrible – bordering on cat food. It was bad. I’m not sure what the other reviewers are talking about or where they are eating normally, but I can’t tell you enough how bad it was. The buffet was really dependent on what you got, and, as with nearly all resorts, the desserts were really bad everywhere.
THE BAD:
- The beach. They are still doing tons of work on the artificial reef so there are tons of workers and boats right there working all day. So, if you want to hang out at the beach (as we do – we have a pool at home, we’re there for the beach) you’ll be breathing exhaust fumes all day. The beach is also not swimmable. It is very rocky and you can get to waist high at the most. It was good for a young child to play in though because the rocks eliminated the surf (but the fumes!).
-The drinks! Oh my god the drinks! First of all, every juice they give you tastes as if they are loaded with artificial sweeteners – especially the Orange juice. All of the mixed drinks had the same aspartame flavor. Margaritas were embarrassingly bad – I had one that tasted as if it was made with vodka?!?! The wine was like $3 drug store wine and I’d have to try not to laugh as they poured a sample into my glass at dinner, but it was better than the mixed drinks! Oh, and you can’t order a bottle of this cheap wine with your room service or it’ll cost you $25! What a joke. You can order a ton of glasses, but not the bottle. By the end of the week, I was drinking sodas and beer only.
- This place has an identity crisis. They were blasting loud obnoxious music by the pool all day and offering up “SHOTS!” at 10am. I have no problem if that’s what you’re on vacation to do, but at a family resort? It wasn’t what we were expecting. It was too tame for the “partiers” and too loud for the “relaxers” – it was just an all around strange vibe. It was too family oriented for couples (who seemed to be running away next door as fast as they could) but not family friendly enough for the families (we talked to many couples with babies who were having the same problems as us.)
-The noise. I don’t think I was able to sit and enjoy the sound of the ocean once. Again, this is relative as to the type of vacation you want.
-The pool is sooo cold (the infinity pools were even colder). We couldn't swim in it most days. We would just sit in the baby pool with our daughter because it was slightly warmer.
-We also had a huge problem trying to rent a car. They list this on their sheet like it’s something they help you do. It was the worst experience ever. We wasted HOURS of our vacation dealing with this. They have no clue what they are doing or how to help you. It was kind of the theme of the service. They are SOOO friendly but really can’t deliver what you need – this would be a management problem. We were willing to just pay extra to do it at El Dorado next door but they never seemed to be able to get them on the phone. It was so weird and they should be embarrassed about the service that was provided to us.
-I emailed the GM while we were there because he is always writing to people “I wish you would have addressed these issues while you were here” – so I did. Oscar (not the GM) emailed me back after we left and I found the email to be very condescending. He even said that he spoke with my husband who said everything was fine – as if to act like I am somehow lying about our experience. Then he offered the money we paid as a resort credit for a return trip – after I told him we’d never return – wow, what a nice gesture.

I wouldn’t recommend Generations Riviera Maya – especially to families. It does have some good points but it’s overpriced for what it is. There are plenty of better resorts in this price range (especially if you are a family needing a 1 bedroom).

Room Tip: Families MUST have the 1 bedroom to be comfortable. Infinity pools are a little too cold to swim in...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank Sara S
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This place is absolutely amazing! 100% score on customer service, room standard and food! The only thing that could make this better would be using fresh fruit in the cocktails rather than a syrup.

I can't wait to go back here. We were greater by a small Mexican band playing local music, a glass of bubbly and a cold towel. The check in process was very welcoming and seem less.

The food at this hotel is unbelievable and anybody that is into fine dining will love this place.

The hotel is still being built so the entertainment isn't all there but it's worth a walk into the next door hotels (El Dorado) where it all seems to be happening.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Matt C
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Matt C,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I appreciate your feedback and it will definitely be used to improve the services we provide. The entertainment staff is working really hard to offer better options for our guests; especially the ones traveling with families, hopefully it will be reflected in the near future.

Hoping to see you again,

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I took my spouse and 7 month old at the time, to this resort. The place is beautiful and everyone is wonderful. Allen was our mayordomo and he did a wonderful job accomodating us, went the extra mile any time he could. The staff at the restaurants were great, Angel took great care of us and was attentive to my daughter's needs as if she was his. The beach still needs a little work, but once that gets straightened out this place will be a gem. We went to a tour of the other rooms because we were interested in the rewards program but it was too expensive. We also loved the kids club and actually used the nanny services. We hired a nanny Elda to come to our room to watch her while we packed our bags and she was great. We would definitely return next year.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alex L,

Thank you for choosing Generations Riviera Maya for your recent holidays and thank you for taking the time to write this review!

We hope to see you again next year!

Best,

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Generations is a clean and new resort with a few things to improve BUT it is nothing major, because of how new it is you might still see staff lacking knowledge of the resort... No blame, nothing big to worried about because this places covers a lot of "must have". In my personal opinion will say what is great and what is not so great about it.

What is great about it:

Food --it is just extraordinary where ever you eat, it is just very outstanding because it is delicious gourmet .Chef market is the regular every day restaurant, excellent Japanese food (for not being Japanese cooks), Mediterranean restaurant with great variety and flavors. Also there is a wine lounge where you can spend a nice evening.

Pools: nice and same as pictured on the website, there is a swim bar.

Staff: very friendly and always with their "hola" and a smile , you might (might not) find some staff with some lack of knowledge about the resort which still might be a training process because of how new this resort is (Feb 2014)
The butler is always asking how you are doing, nice experience with their staff.

Rooms: suites are spacious, big barrooms with bath tub, living room, 2 TV's, bedroom is very nice and all rooms are ocean view. I LOVED so much the swim ups, there are about 4 buildings, we stayed in #19 on the second floor, butler is available but we didn't need him. One side of the building faces the pools and ocean and the back of the buildings faces a man made swamp.
We had chocolate covered strawberries in our room and messages on the bed every other night.
Night entertainment: I liked it, we had fire live show, it was fun, short but enough.

What is NOT SO GREAT:

There is a main lobby where you get dropped off and picked up. If you need to go there you new to go to the front desk and request a driver who will take you to the main building in the golf cart (sometimes slow and others they show up quick) If you are not planning on leaving the resort, you are ok because you won't need them much. I just didn't like the idea to be depending on them to go out. If you want to walk it can be done, we didn't do it because you would need to walk along the man made swam and there are warning signs that crocodile might be walking from one side to the other... Well, no me walking there. You can actually see them, there are small and once they get big, they are taken out.

Beach: it was not the best, very rocky and I was unable to bath because it had major rocks am also they are working on the beach to fight huracan season but you can walk along and get to Casitas and El Dorado. Also I noticed that lately in Mexico beaches are not what they used to be so you might want to consider Tulum if you are a beach person like me.

Would I go back? Yes, because of the beach I will try Tulum next, but if you are a pool person go with this place.
Would I recommend ? Absolutely yes! This resort is classy, elegant, gorgeous :-)
Please ask if you got questions

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Lifemyadventure,

Thank you for choosing Generations Riviera Maya for your recent holidays and thank you for taking the time to write this review, it is a pleasure to hear you had a wonderful stay with us.

Hoping to see you again,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and 5 yr. old spent 9 days at Generations it was amazing! The service was top notch, staff extremely friendly and overall a wonderful experience. Resort was not that full, quiet we loved this for relaxation. If you want a party this is not the place. Loved the fact that El Dorado/Royale was next store you can dine at other restaurants/shop or use their beach
Staff-
Entertainment staff- Kenny, Luiz and Omar were amazing engaged everyone with tons of activities
Servers-Jesus, Carlos and Antulo were beyond gracious taking care of all our needs
Allen our butler was amazing!! He had taken care of all items for our anniversary celebration so upon arrival we were surprised (flowers, banner and nitely desserts)

The kids club what can I say (Mary, Ceidy and all the ladies) are the best! Open 9-5 then opens again 7:30-9. The staff are so creative, responsible and most of all our son did not want to leave or could not wait to wake up to see them made adult time extremely enjoyable without worries. This is the best kids club I have ever encountered while on vacation, so cool inside and had so much for the kids to do.
Food- (as we were skeptical due to some past posts) just note we are well accustomed to good food/ fine restaurants. In Mexico we stayed at Occidental Grand X, Dreams, Melia, Secrets and Palace resorts. The food was exceptional for an all inclusive, very fresh, many choices in both resorts. We travel quite a bit and this is one of the best all inclusive food
Our favorites were:
Chef's Market- great omelets in the am as well as variety for dinner
Jade -(great lobster fried rice/sushi and martini's) and Wine tasting (filet and fish amazing)

Romantic lobster dinner is the best so secluded on the dock fabulous!!!!

Spa is fantastic if you get a chance beach massage is amazing as well as pedicure.
We especially liked the fact that you can also be active- Gym at El Dorado is nicer, Yoga in the am, spin classes, cross fit as well as water aerobics w/ Omar or Kenny.

The only downfall is as stated before the beach is rocky, great for kids but they are working on growing natural reef along with cutting open the sand bags to stop beach erosion it will be spectacular when done!
We had a room lower floor with the swim out into the main pool, BTW the water was not cold maybe due to summer approaching, sun is good in the am only. We like this as we just went to the beach beds or you can swim across to the main lounge chairs.
Overall wonderful resort would definitely recommend for families as they are extremely kid friendly
Before you arrive go online to karisma to complete room and special items request it is well worth the time they take care of everything
( if young kids just remember to bring toss away kids cups they work well)

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors have outside showers/infinity pool Swim out to main pool on bottom floor are b...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Cosimo4,

Thank you for this wonderful review, it is a pleasure to know you had such a wonderufl stay with us. All the staff at Generations Riviera Maya works really hard and it is wonderful to receive such positive feedback from our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best,

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We just got back from a wonderful stay at Generations. The best hotel we have ever experienced. Special shout out to Adan, Allen, Oscar and Ivan for their superb service. We stayed two weeks, so relaxing. The rooms and food are awesome but the service is what makes the resort stand out. The only thing I didn't like is that it is do far from Cancun and Playa. We are looking forward to revisiting this resort

• Stayed: May 2014
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Lesxprs,

Thank you for this review on behalf of everyone at Generations Riviera Maya. It is our pleasure to hear you had a wonderful stay with us.

We look forward to your return.