“Lovely”

GreenLeadersGold level
springdale
“Lovely”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed a week here back in April. It's a small resort but I liked the convenience of things being so close. The rooms were really nice and lots of space. We got a swim up room. It was very close to the swim up bar and I loved being able to go into the water right from our room. Food was really good here and I'm pretty picky. Loved the option of going to the sister resorts also. The staff was super friendly and work so hard. They are always smiling and eager to help. The beach wasn't the best I've ever been to but it didn't ruin my trip at all. Fun times and a very nice resort.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lovetravelz
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear lovetravelz,

Thank you for taking the time this post, it is wonderful to read our guests had a pleasant stay at Generations Riviera Maya.

We hope to see you return.

Best,

Alejandro Lopez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Deptford, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have been to all the Karisma resorts and they have outdone themselves again. The food is definitely gourmet and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are gorgeous. Keep in mind this resort just opened the beginning of May, so they are still tweaking a few things. The beach and pool butlers were incredible, Lilliana, David, Ahan and more never let your drink get empty and they were always smiling and friendly. The entertainment staff kept you busy in the day thanks to Kenny, Luiz and Omar.
The only item I think they can improve on is the butler service. It's really more of a concierge plus at this time, but again they are working on this with further training. The butler is not a personal butler, there are about 4 rooms per butler, however, they will pack and unpack your bags, iron your first nights outfits, set up your Jacuzzi bath, reconfirm your flights, help make dining reservations at El Dorado Royale or Casitas and you can go to the butler lounge to book your spa appointments.They have 24 hour room service but can do a private en suite dining for you as well. That was an unbelievable meal they did for us. We ate in our pajamas.
Butler service is only available in the one bedroom suites or higher.
Our butler was David, he did his best to make us happy. He made a wonderful 50th birthday day for my husband, with chips, salsa and margaritas waiting in our room after our spa treatments and they even decorated the bed with a towel birthday cake, I brought my own decorations and they gladly put them up for me.
I had the oceanfront one bedroom infinity pool- the pool was a little cool as it doesn't get any sun, but it was so nice to sit out there in the afternoon with a drink overlooking the ocean. At night the humidity can get up there, so that's another good time to use your own pool.
The beach- there are some rocks, but you can so a little snorkeling from here as well, there weren't any big waves which is great for the kids-so many families were swimming and playing in the sand. A beach bed was always open, you can even have them arrange a romantic picnic lunch in your bali bed. They are building the worlds largest artificial coral reef at this time which will run from Generations to El Dorado Royale, they were very close to being done in front of Generations, but there was still a crane on the far side of the resort- it wasn't an issue for me. My husband and I actually enjoyed watching them work and knowing we were watching history in the making. There was some noise from this, but only in the day and I didn't find it distracting. There was no "boat oil and smell" were I sat on the beach. Overall I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat. This is honestly a fantastic resort for the "generations" of families that wish to vacation together and have something for everyone. ALso I saw the kids club, lots to do with an attentive staff, the kids never wanted to leave.For weddings, they offer a chapel and a beautiful oceanfront pier. So kudos to the Karisma family for another successful resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dianemonk
Dear dianemonk,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review and for sharing your recent experience at Generations Riviera Maya with fellow readers.

I would like to thank you for your compliments but especially for your comments regarding the butler service. We will focus on improving the current service being offered, since we absolutely do not want our guests to see it as a concierge plus but as a full diamond butler wowing each and every single guest that stays with us.

Thank you once again and feel free to contact me at gm@generationsrivieramaya.com for further comments.

Hoping to see you again at the Karisma family,

Jersey
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just returned from 10 days at Generations Riviera Maya. We had originally booked El Dorado Royale. Prior to arriving we had e mailed El Dorado and Karisma Hotels (Received replies) requesting a top floor, ocean view room. Unfortunately, it appeared they had paid no attention to our emails, as we were allocated a ground floor room (Upgraded to swim up, which did not get any sun!!) On complaining, the hotel asked if we would wait 24 hours and they would move us to a top floor room. 24 hours later we were allocated a "2nd floor" room. After having to complain again, we were finally "upgraded" to the new Generations Hotel. However, Generations is not an adults only hotel (Which is why we booked El Dorado) and at times was very noisy (Music and "loud" American guests) Also, unable to swim in sea, due to man made reef being constructed. However, on the plus side, all staff were very polite and helpful. All the resort restaurants are fantastic, the grounds are beautiful and staff fantastic.
All our problems would not have occurred if the hotel had given more thought to our requests. Finally, it seemed a lot of guests were being "upgraded" to Generations from El Dorado because it is new and they are trying to get it known.
If you are looking for a quiet time, may we suggest El Dorado Casitas and not Generations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank BruceLiz
KarismaHotelsResorts, Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review , it was a pleasure to host your holiday . we are truly very sorry that your room requests were not honored and I will be discussing this with the Front Desk Manager . Room requests are subject to availability and whenever we do not have the specific requests we do try to assign the next best option. we are sorry that you did not feel upgrade to a swim up suite or our new property Generations Riviera Maya enhanced your vacation experience.

All adults staying at the Generations Riviera Maya has full access to the El Dorado Royale however guests at the El Dorado Royale do not have access to Generations Riviera Maya.

again we appreciate your feedback and our Head of Customer services will be reaching out to you by private message in order to conntinue our communication on a one to one basis.

Best Regards

Hotel Manager
Generations Riviera Maya
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Before you start reading this, I would like you to note how many of these EXCELLENT reviews are from first time reviewers... it's the majority of them. Interesting.)

Your enjoyment of this resort is going to depend greatly on your expectations and prior travel & dining experiences. For us, it was not what we were looking for. We were looking for a relaxing place where we could enjoy good food and drinks and have access to child care on-site for our 18 month old daughter. Unfortunately, this is not what we experienced. First off, I have to say that we booked this resort because we received a great deal by booking before the opening. We’ve stayed at two other resorts in their opening year and had excellent experiences (notably Garza Blanca Preserve in Puerto Vallarta which I would highly recommend and is infinitely better in this price point – we were just about to book a return trip there until I found this “deal” and I was drawn in by the on-site childcare.)

If you are traveling with children, I would like you to note that there is NO way to stay comfortably in the standard suite. The glass “divider” is a joke and you really can’t keep it closed if you would like good circulation of the A/C. Also, there is a pass through from the living area to the bathroom, so forget about showering or enjoying the Jacuzzi after your child goes to bed. The other HUGE problem we experienced was the noise from the nightly entertainment. I thought this was a resort geared towards families but the noise from the entertainment was like having a night club in your room (it was done by 10pm, so this might not bother you, but it was so loud it was almost comical). Our poor daughter couldn’t sleep and we had to upgrade rooms so that we could put a wall between her and the noise (and us! And the bathroom!). I will tell you that management gave us a “deal” to upgrade to the 1 bedroom and they thought we should feel overwhelmed with appreciation for this – but the resort was all but empty. We were the only ones at dinner nearly every night. They could have easily put us in a 1 bedroom to send happy customers out into the world – customers who were willing to take a chance on them during their first few months, but nope it cost us our entire babysitting/tour fund to upgrade, so we didn’t even get to utilize those services – so the 2 reasons we came – the price and the childcare – were immediately negated. Oscar, the reservations manager, also told us the noise was not typical and was just from a wedding (because we had actually originally asked to switch resorts entirely) - that was a flat out lie. It was loud every night there was entertainment (which was most nights).

THE GOOD:

-The Service is EXCELLENT (with the exception of management which was good but not great). The staff and service are very friendly and very attentive. I actually can’t say enough about them and they seem very genuine (I did not find the management to be as genuine as the staff.)
-It is extremely clean. The staff is cleaning around the clock and they do an excellent job.
-The grounds are very pretty and well maintained. With the exception of the beach, everything was beautiful.
-The rooms are beautiful and if you are traveling as a couple, the standard room will work fine for you. The 1 bedroom was VERY large and very nice. We also liked having the outdoor shower. The infinity pool was nice, but really too cold to swim in. We did sit on the loungers while our daughter took her naps though, so the additional space was nice.
-Kids Club. It was nice and the employees seemed friendly and attentive. I wouldn’t know first hand because we didn’t get to use the babysitting services.
-The food was generally good. Gourmet? No. Gourmet presentation, I’ll give them that. But if you have experience with fine dining, you will not feel that it’s gourmet. Some things were really good, some things were borderline inedible. However, it was better than the food at somewhere like a Sandals, for example. We found the breakfast buffet to be good with lots of choices. I heard people say it was monotonous, but I think that would be your own fault. Our favorite restaurant was Habb. Wine Kitchen was good too and we found the portions to be the size we would expect at a “gourmet” restaurant. Jade was horrible – bordering on cat food. It was bad. I’m not sure what the other reviewers are talking about or where they are eating normally, but I can’t tell you enough how bad it was. The buffet was really dependent on what you got, and, as with nearly all resorts, the desserts were really bad everywhere.
THE BAD:
- The beach. They are still doing tons of work on the artificial reef so there are tons of workers and boats right there working all day. So, if you want to hang out at the beach (as we do – we have a pool at home, we’re there for the beach) you’ll be breathing exhaust fumes all day. The beach is also not swimmable. It is very rocky and you can get to waist high at the most. It was good for a young child to play in though because the rocks eliminated the surf (but the fumes!).
-The drinks! Oh my god the drinks! First of all, every juice they give you tastes as if they are loaded with artificial sweeteners – especially the Orange juice. All of the mixed drinks had the same aspartame flavor. Margaritas were embarrassingly bad – I had one that tasted as if it was made with vodka?!?! The wine was like $3 drug store wine and I’d have to try not to laugh as they poured a sample into my glass at dinner, but it was better than the mixed drinks! Oh, and you can’t order a bottle of this cheap wine with your room service or it’ll cost you $25! What a joke. You can order a ton of glasses, but not the bottle. By the end of the week, I was drinking sodas and beer only.
- This place has an identity crisis. They were blasting loud obnoxious music by the pool all day and offering up “SHOTS!” at 10am. I have no problem if that’s what you’re on vacation to do, but at a family resort? It wasn’t what we were expecting. It was too tame for the “partiers” and too loud for the “relaxers” – it was just an all around strange vibe. It was too family oriented for couples (who seemed to be running away next door as fast as they could) but not family friendly enough for the families (we talked to many couples with babies who were having the same problems as us.)
-The noise. I don’t think I was able to sit and enjoy the sound of the ocean once. Again, this is relative as to the type of vacation you want.
-The pool is sooo cold (the infinity pools were even colder). We couldn't swim in it most days. We would just sit in the baby pool with our daughter because it was slightly warmer.
-We also had a huge problem trying to rent a car. They list this on their sheet like it’s something they help you do. It was the worst experience ever. We wasted HOURS of our vacation dealing with this. They have no clue what they are doing or how to help you. It was kind of the theme of the service. They are SOOO friendly but really can’t deliver what you need – this would be a management problem. We were willing to just pay extra to do it at El Dorado next door but they never seemed to be able to get them on the phone. It was so weird and they should be embarrassed about the service that was provided to us.
-I emailed the GM while we were there because he is always writing to people “I wish you would have addressed these issues while you were here” – so I did. Oscar (not the GM) emailed me back after we left and I found the email to be very condescending. He even said that he spoke with my husband who said everything was fine – as if to act like I am somehow lying about our experience. Then he offered the money we paid as a resort credit for a return trip – after I told him we’d never return – wow, what a nice gesture.

I wouldn’t recommend Generations Riviera Maya – especially to families. It does have some good points but it’s overpriced for what it is. There are plenty of better resorts in this price range (especially if you are a family needing a 1 bedroom).

Room Tip: Families MUST have the 1 bedroom to be comfortable. Infinity pools are a little too cold to swim in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank Sara S
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This place is absolutely amazing! 100% score on customer service, room standard and food! The only thing that could make this better would be using fresh fruit in the cocktails rather than a syrup.

I can't wait to go back here. We were greater by a small Mexican band playing local music, a glass of bubbly and a cold towel. The check in process was very welcoming and seem less.

The food at this hotel is unbelievable and anybody that is into fine dining will love this place.

The hotel is still being built so the entertainment isn't all there but it's worth a walk into the next door hotels (El Dorado) where it all seems to be happening.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt C
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Matt C,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I appreciate your feedback and it will definitely be used to improve the services we provide. The entertainment staff is working really hard to offer better options for our guests; especially the ones traveling with families, hopefully it will be reflected in the near future.

Hoping to see you again,

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I took my spouse and 7 month old at the time, to this resort. The place is beautiful and everyone is wonderful. Allen was our mayordomo and he did a wonderful job accomodating us, went the extra mile any time he could. The staff at the restaurants were great, Angel took great care of us and was attentive to my daughter's needs as if she was his. The beach still needs a little work, but once that gets straightened out this place will be a gem. We went to a tour of the other rooms because we were interested in the rewards program but it was too expensive. We also loved the kids club and actually used the nanny services. We hired a nanny Elda to come to our room to watch her while we packed our bags and she was great. We would definitely return next year.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Alex L,

Thank you for choosing Generations Riviera Maya for your recent holidays and thank you for taking the time to write this review!

We hope to see you again next year!

Best,

Three Bridges, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Generations is a clean and new resort with a few things to improve BUT it is nothing major, because of how new it is you might still see staff lacking knowledge of the resort... No blame, nothing big to worried about because this places covers a lot of "must have". In my personal opinion will say what is great and what is not so great about it.

What is great about it:

Food --it is just extraordinary where ever you eat, it is just very outstanding because it is delicious gourmet .Chef market is the regular every day restaurant, excellent Japanese food (for not being Japanese cooks), Mediterranean restaurant with great variety and flavors. Also there is a wine lounge where you can spend a nice evening.

Pools: nice and same as pictured on the website, there is a swim bar.

Staff: very friendly and always with their "hola" and a smile , you might (might not) find some staff with some lack of knowledge about the resort which still might be a training process because of how new this resort is (Feb 2014)
The butler is always asking how you are doing, nice experience with their staff.

Rooms: suites are spacious, big barrooms with bath tub, living room, 2 TV's, bedroom is very nice and all rooms are ocean view. I LOVED so much the swim ups, there are about 4 buildings, we stayed in #19 on the second floor, butler is available but we didn't need him. One side of the building faces the pools and ocean and the back of the buildings faces a man made swamp.
We had chocolate covered strawberries in our room and messages on the bed every other night.
Night entertainment: I liked it, we had fire live show, it was fun, short but enough.

What is NOT SO GREAT:

There is a main lobby where you get dropped off and picked up. If you need to go there you new to go to the front desk and request a driver who will take you to the main building in the golf cart (sometimes slow and others they show up quick) If you are not planning on leaving the resort, you are ok because you won't need them much. I just didn't like the idea to be depending on them to go out. If you want to walk it can be done, we didn't do it because you would need to walk along the man made swam and there are warning signs that crocodile might be walking from one side to the other... Well, no me walking there. You can actually see them, there are small and once they get big, they are taken out.

Beach: it was not the best, very rocky and I was unable to bath because it had major rocks am also they are working on the beach to fight huracan season but you can walk along and get to Casitas and El Dorado. Also I noticed that lately in Mexico beaches are not what they used to be so you might want to consider Tulum if you are a beach person like me.

Would I go back? Yes, because of the beach I will try Tulum next, but if you are a pool person go with this place.
Would I recommend ? Absolutely yes! This resort is classy, elegant, gorgeous :-)
Please ask if you got questions

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Lifemyadventure,

Thank you for choosing Generations Riviera Maya for your recent holidays and thank you for taking the time to write this review, it is a pleasure to hear you had a wonderful stay with us.

Hoping to see you again,