“First Time Family Vacation in Mexico w/18 month old grandaughter” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma

Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma
Ranked #45 of 385 Hotels in Riviera Maya
GreenLeadersGold level
Godfrey, Illinois
“First Time Family Vacation in Mexico w/18 month old grandaughter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Our first trip to Mexico with my son, daughter-in-law and 18 month old granddaughter. Thought it would be scary but a big thanks to Beach Bum Vacations, Mindy for walking us through the entire process. No question was left unanswered before we left. The Hotel, the food and the room was amazing. Several restaurants to pick from and a buffet service for breakfast and lunch. Also pool side grill with great choices. Mac-n-Cheese, hot dog, lots of veges, salads, hamburgers and fresh made chips. Great choices for the adults and children. If you needed anything all you had to do was ask and they would do everything to accommodate you. The ENTIRE staff was very friendly and helpful, from the hotel manager to the housekeepers. They all called you by name after the first day. This is a butler service hotel, so you will have a butler that will deal just with you. Just ask and he would find out anything and tell you about things the hotel had to offer. Kid zone, family lounge, wine bar and night club. We had a swim up pool room on the first floor. Great place for the granddaughter to play in the water, nicely shaded and shallow water, right outside the door. They even provided a baby monitor, brought milk everyday for the baby and a great crib for her. There was nightly local entertainment that came to the hotel, Mayan dancers, drums and folk lore. We had a massage, facials, snorkeling trip and candlelight private dinner on the Pier. It was a wonderful hotel and a great vacation.

Room Tip: We chose a first floor swim up suite, so that when the baby was sleeping we could be right outside t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
21 Thank DannyDonna S
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear DannyDonna S,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience, it was our pleasure to host your family vacation and it is wonderful to read you had a great vacation with us.

We hope to see you again in the future with your beautiful grandaughter.

Alejandro Lopez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband our 2 kids and his parents and sister spent the first week of June at Generations. Upon arrival on a very rainy day we were greeted with a glass of champs and cool cloths. Our room was ready but we were all ready for lunch so we were taken by golf cart to the main part of the resort to the butlers. There is a large man grove with a ton wildlife around. One of the butlers showed us to the market were we sat had a margarita and some yummy food!
When I finished the butler Andres showed myself and my 2 kids (3 and 7) to our room to relax a bit. We booked a 3 bedroom suite with infinity pool. The rooms were AMAZING!! Perfect for a family.
All food at the resort is top notch, service is the best!! Liliana on the beach took care of us all week. My 3 year old feel in LOVE with LUIZ, he was so sweet to her even made her a bracelet she still has on!!
A few cons..
Pools all are WAY to cold!!
Beach not the best, cant swim, very rocky
entertainment was spotty, need a bigger area for the shows the space is way to small.
All in all we loved it and would go back, but with the prices now don't think we will. Its now almost double the price we paid for next June, $20,000..YIKES

Room Tip: Infinity rooms awesome!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Katie A
Dear Katie A,

Thank you for your wonderful review! It is our pleasure to hear you had a wonderful family vacation. We would love to see you back; please feel free to contact me with more details on dates you would like to return next year at gm@generationsrivieramaya.com

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My family and I stayed for one in the middle of March after Generations had just opened. We were very impressed upon our arrival and the rooms were amazing. The food for the most part was impressive however I wish there were more options available for dinner. Our favorite restaurant was The Wine Kitchen. However, our food did arrive cold which was odd considering we were the only people in the restaurant at the time. The staff on the beach were very on top of things. They were always refilling our drinks and making sure we did not need anything else. We did have a really poor experience at this hotel when it came to our room. My family had two rooms that were next to each other and for 6 of the 7 nights none of us could get to sleep and we were woken up very early due to the rooms above us. We called front desk staff numerous times and were told that they would follow up with the guests above us and let us know but we never heard back. We had to constantly call and follow up as the noise never stop. The lack of sleep during this vacation was really a downside to the trip and would make me reconsider ever staying here again. Not only were were kept up but also woke up as early as 6am in the morning. I understand this hotel being new but the staff clearly failed to handle the situation. The last night was so incredibly loud that I can't believe it was never once offered to switch rooms. The butler service really didn't live up to its hype. For the first couple days we had no clue who our butler even was and once we did meet her there was no extra "gourmet" service given so I guess I fail to understand the point of having a butler. Their duties were not defined in our experience. Not sure if we would be willing to give this hotel another chance....for the amount of money you pay and the lack of sleep we experienced is certainly not worth. However, we would be willing to give another try considering the hotel was very new when we stayed.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor!!!!!! having someone above you is awful considering staff does nothing for you...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank nm15282
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, 15 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Thank you for choosing Generations Riviera Maya as your host during your most recent visit. I am very disappointed to hear that your visit was not a complete success- most especially because you had every right to hold high expectations of us.

Please accept my apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced with our the noise levels from ohter guests and our Butler service ; whenever our guests report an issue this should have been attended to on your first request as we pride ourselves on the satisfaction of our guests. The superior service we offer is one of our number one priorities.

Best Regards
Alan Del Blanco
Hotel Manager
springdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed a week here back in April. It's a small resort but I liked the convenience of things being so close. The rooms were really nice and lots of space. We got a swim up room. It was very close to the swim up bar and I loved being able to go into the water right from our room. Food was really good here and I'm pretty picky. Loved the option of going to the sister resorts also. The staff was super friendly and work so hard. They are always smiling and eager to help. The beach wasn't the best I've ever been to but it didn't ruin my trip at all. Fun times and a very nice resort.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lovetravelz
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear lovetravelz,

Thank you for taking the time this post, it is wonderful to read our guests had a pleasant stay at Generations Riviera Maya.

We hope to see you return.

Deptford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have been to all the Karisma resorts and they have outdone themselves again. The food is definitely gourmet and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are gorgeous. Keep in mind this resort just opened the beginning of May, so they are still tweaking a few things. The beach and pool butlers were incredible, Lilliana, David, Ahan and more never let your drink get empty and they were always smiling and friendly. The entertainment staff kept you busy in the day thanks to Kenny, Luiz and Omar.
The only item I think they can improve on is the butler service. It's really more of a concierge plus at this time, but again they are working on this with further training. The butler is not a personal butler, there are about 4 rooms per butler, however, they will pack and unpack your bags, iron your first nights outfits, set up your Jacuzzi bath, reconfirm your flights, help make dining reservations at El Dorado Royale or Casitas and you can go to the butler lounge to book your spa appointments.They have 24 hour room service but can do a private en suite dining for you as well. That was an unbelievable meal they did for us. We ate in our pajamas.
Butler service is only available in the one bedroom suites or higher.
Our butler was David, he did his best to make us happy. He made a wonderful 50th birthday day for my husband, with chips, salsa and margaritas waiting in our room after our spa treatments and they even decorated the bed with a towel birthday cake, I brought my own decorations and they gladly put them up for me.
I had the oceanfront one bedroom infinity pool- the pool was a little cool as it doesn't get any sun, but it was so nice to sit out there in the afternoon with a drink overlooking the ocean. At night the humidity can get up there, so that's another good time to use your own pool.
The beach- there are some rocks, but you can so a little snorkeling from here as well, there weren't any big waves which is great for the kids-so many families were swimming and playing in the sand. A beach bed was always open, you can even have them arrange a romantic picnic lunch in your bali bed. They are building the worlds largest artificial coral reef at this time which will run from Generations to El Dorado Royale, they were very close to being done in front of Generations, but there was still a crane on the far side of the resort- it wasn't an issue for me. My husband and I actually enjoyed watching them work and knowing we were watching history in the making. There was some noise from this, but only in the day and I didn't find it distracting. There was no "boat oil and smell" were I sat on the beach. Overall I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat. This is honestly a fantastic resort for the "generations" of families that wish to vacation together and have something for everyone. ALso I saw the kids club, lots to do with an attentive staff, the kids never wanted to leave.For weddings, they offer a chapel and a beautiful oceanfront pier. So kudos to the Karisma family for another successful resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dianemonk
Dear dianemonk,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review and for sharing your recent experience at Generations Riviera Maya with fellow readers.

I would like to thank you for your compliments but especially for your comments regarding the butler service. We will focus on improving the current service being offered, since we absolutely do not want our guests to see it as a concierge plus but as a full diamond butler wowing each and every single guest that stays with us.

Thank you once again and feel free to contact me at gm@generationsrivieramaya.com for further comments.

Hoping to see you again at the Karisma family,

Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just returned from 10 days at Generations Riviera Maya. We had originally booked El Dorado Royale. Prior to arriving we had e mailed El Dorado and Karisma Hotels (Received replies) requesting a top floor, ocean view room. Unfortunately, it appeared they had paid no attention to our emails, as we were allocated a ground floor room (Upgraded to swim up, which did not get any sun!!) On complaining, the hotel asked if we would wait 24 hours and they would move us to a top floor room. 24 hours later we were allocated a "2nd floor" room. After having to complain again, we were finally "upgraded" to the new Generations Hotel. However, Generations is not an adults only hotel (Which is why we booked El Dorado) and at times was very noisy (Music and "loud" American guests) Also, unable to swim in sea, due to man made reef being constructed. However, on the plus side, all staff were very polite and helpful. All the resort restaurants are fantastic, the grounds are beautiful and staff fantastic.
All our problems would not have occurred if the hotel had given more thought to our requests. Finally, it seemed a lot of guests were being "upgraded" to Generations from El Dorado because it is new and they are trying to get it known.
If you are looking for a quiet time, may we suggest El Dorado Casitas and not Generations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank BruceLiz
KarismaHotelsResorts, Manager at Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review , it was a pleasure to host your holiday . we are truly very sorry that your room requests were not honored and I will be discussing this with the Front Desk Manager . Room requests are subject to availability and whenever we do not have the specific requests we do try to assign the next best option. we are sorry that you did not feel upgrade to a swim up suite or our new property Generations Riviera Maya enhanced your vacation experience.

All adults staying at the Generations Riviera Maya has full access to the El Dorado Royale however guests at the El Dorado Royale do not have access to Generations Riviera Maya.

again we appreciate your feedback and our Head of Customer services will be reaching out to you by private message in order to conntinue our communication on a one to one basis.

Best Regards

Hotel Manager
Generations Riviera Maya
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Before you start reading this, I would like you to note how many of these EXCELLENT reviews are from first time reviewers... it's the majority of them. Interesting.)

Your enjoyment of this resort is going to depend greatly on your expectations and prior travel & dining experiences. For us, it was not what we were looking for. We were looking for a relaxing place where we could enjoy good food and drinks and have access to child care on-site for our 18 month old daughter. Unfortunately, this is not what we experienced. First off, I have to say that we booked this resort because we received a great deal by booking before the opening. We’ve stayed at two other resorts in their opening year and had excellent experiences (notably Garza Blanca Preserve in Puerto Vallarta which I would highly recommend and is infinitely better in this price point – we were just about to book a return trip there until I found this “deal” and I was drawn in by the on-site childcare.)

If you are traveling with children, I would like you to note that there is NO way to stay comfortably in the standard suite. The glass “divider” is a joke and you really can’t keep it closed if you would like good circulation of the A/C. Also, there is a pass through from the living area to the bathroom, so forget about showering or enjoying the Jacuzzi after your child goes to bed. The other HUGE problem we experienced was the noise from the nightly entertainment. I thought this was a resort geared towards families but the noise from the entertainment was like having a night club in your room (it was done by 10pm, so this might not bother you, but it was so loud it was almost comical). Our poor daughter couldn’t sleep and we had to upgrade rooms so that we could put a wall between her and the noise (and us! And the bathroom!). I will tell you that management gave us a “deal” to upgrade to the 1 bedroom and they thought we should feel overwhelmed with appreciation for this – but the resort was all but empty. We were the only ones at dinner nearly every night. They could have easily put us in a 1 bedroom to send happy customers out into the world – customers who were willing to take a chance on them during their first few months, but nope it cost us our entire babysitting/tour fund to upgrade, so we didn’t even get to utilize those services – so the 2 reasons we came – the price and the childcare – were immediately negated. Oscar, the reservations manager, also told us the noise was not typical and was just from a wedding (because we had actually originally asked to switch resorts entirely) - that was a flat out lie. It was loud every night there was entertainment (which was most nights).

THE GOOD:

-The Service is EXCELLENT (with the exception of management which was good but not great). The staff and service are very friendly and very attentive. I actually can’t say enough about them and they seem very genuine (I did not find the management to be as genuine as the staff.)
-It is extremely clean. The staff is cleaning around the clock and they do an excellent job.
-The grounds are very pretty and well maintained. With the exception of the beach, everything was beautiful.
-The rooms are beautiful and if you are traveling as a couple, the standard room will work fine for you. The 1 bedroom was VERY large and very nice. We also liked having the outdoor shower. The infinity pool was nice, but really too cold to swim in. We did sit on the loungers while our daughter took her naps though, so the additional space was nice.
-Kids Club. It was nice and the employees seemed friendly and attentive. I wouldn’t know first hand because we didn’t get to use the babysitting services.
-The food was generally good. Gourmet? No. Gourmet presentation, I’ll give them that. But if you have experience with fine dining, you will not feel that it’s gourmet. Some things were really good, some things were borderline inedible. However, it was better than the food at somewhere like a Sandals, for example. We found the breakfast buffet to be good with lots of choices. I heard people say it was monotonous, but I think that would be your own fault. Our favorite restaurant was Habb. Wine Kitchen was good too and we found the portions to be the size we would expect at a “gourmet” restaurant. Jade was horrible – bordering on cat food. It was bad. I’m not sure what the other reviewers are talking about or where they are eating normally, but I can’t tell you enough how bad it was. The buffet was really dependent on what you got, and, as with nearly all resorts, the desserts were really bad everywhere.
THE BAD:
- The beach. They are still doing tons of work on the artificial reef so there are tons of workers and boats right there working all day. So, if you want to hang out at the beach (as we do – we have a pool at home, we’re there for the beach) you’ll be breathing exhaust fumes all day. The beach is also not swimmable. It is very rocky and you can get to waist high at the most. It was good for a young child to play in though because the rocks eliminated the surf (but the fumes!).
-The drinks! Oh my god the drinks! First of all, every juice they give you tastes as if they are loaded with artificial sweeteners – especially the Orange juice. All of the mixed drinks had the same aspartame flavor. Margaritas were embarrassingly bad – I had one that tasted as if it was made with vodka?!?! The wine was like $3 drug store wine and I’d have to try not to laugh as they poured a sample into my glass at dinner, but it was better than the mixed drinks! Oh, and you can’t order a bottle of this cheap wine with your room service or it’ll cost you $25! What a joke. You can order a ton of glasses, but not the bottle. By the end of the week, I was drinking sodas and beer only.
- This place has an identity crisis. They were blasting loud obnoxious music by the pool all day and offering up “SHOTS!” at 10am. I have no problem if that’s what you’re on vacation to do, but at a family resort? It wasn’t what we were expecting. It was too tame for the “partiers” and too loud for the “relaxers” – it was just an all around strange vibe. It was too family oriented for couples (who seemed to be running away next door as fast as they could) but not family friendly enough for the families (we talked to many couples with babies who were having the same problems as us.)
-The noise. I don’t think I was able to sit and enjoy the sound of the ocean once. Again, this is relative as to the type of vacation you want.
-The pool is sooo cold (the infinity pools were even colder). We couldn't swim in it most days. We would just sit in the baby pool with our daughter because it was slightly warmer.
-We also had a huge problem trying to rent a car. They list this on their sheet like it’s something they help you do. It was the worst experience ever. We wasted HOURS of our vacation dealing with this. They have no clue what they are doing or how to help you. It was kind of the theme of the service. They are SOOO friendly but really can’t deliver what you need – this would be a management problem. We were willing to just pay extra to do it at El Dorado next door but they never seemed to be able to get them on the phone. It was so weird and they should be embarrassed about the service that was provided to us.
-I emailed the GM while we were there because he is always writing to people “I wish you would have addressed these issues while you were here” – so I did. Oscar (not the GM) emailed me back after we left and I found the email to be very condescending. He even said that he spoke with my husband who said everything was fine – as if to act like I am somehow lying about our experience. Then he offered the money we paid as a resort credit for a return trip – after I told him we’d never return – wow, what a nice gesture.

I wouldn’t recommend Generations Riviera Maya – especially to families. It does have some good points but it’s overpriced for what it is. There are plenty of better resorts in this price range (especially if you are a family needing a 1 bedroom).

Room Tip: Families MUST have the 1 bedroom to be comfortable. Infinity pools are a little too cold to swim in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family