“1st visit to Mexico”

Ranked #236 of 389 Hotels in Riviera Maya
Baltimore, Maryland
“1st visit to Mexico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

A friend recommended, went on an all girls week booked thru Apple they pick us up at the airport, drove us to the resort, one thing to avoid is the porters at the airport just walk right pasted them, the resort was great, food was out of this world. Also got to use all the other resorts connected to this one since we stayed at the prem. resort. This is an all inclusive resort. Dolphin swim is right there at resort. If you book any excursions use your travel agents people located in basement level (cheaper). There is also a kiosk down there that sells soveniors & he does take cash. Anything u purchase at the resort is charged to the room & u pay when u checkout. Save yourself some money pack your self a cheap raft & make sure to pack you snorkel mask turtles &fish r right there

Room Tip: If you need adjoining rooms please be specific, we had two rooms next to each other but not ajoinin...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FranC107
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Premium Level at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 27 November 2014
Dear Mr. Franc.

On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for the time you took to write these comments.

About our facilities, we are honored to know that we could make your stay a memorable moment, and we hope you can be like came back to this hotel.

Thank you for contacting us through our social media.

Barceló Maya Palace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I just returned from a great girls trip from this wonderful resort and already planning a return trip. the staff were friendly, the grounds are well kept, plenty of options and things to do we can easily stay an entire week and still not do or see everything. the nearest shopping area is in playa de Carmen which was not much to talk about- typical touristy shopping area. stick to the stores that have the prices labeled.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest.

I have carefully read your comments and it is a pleasure to know that your holiday with us was amazing.

it is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve

Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Where to start well I guess I will go with the good since the bad far out ways the good. First the hotel was insanely clean and it truly was a beautiful resort all the way around and well that pretty much sums up the good. We left feeling like we wasted thousands of dollars. We went to relax and was left feeling far more aggravated then necessary. I seriously wished we would have picked another resort. To begin we never received a welcome drink (not an issue just a little perk I was looking forward to after a long flight) Hope you like weddings because multiple go on a day and of course they want to use the most beautiful section of the beach and you are not allowed in the water behind the wedding either, then they all take over the gazebo directly in front of the hotel for pictures so you have to walk around that as well. Buffets are transferred into reception halls so you cannot eat at certain places . The hotel caters to weddings mainly and it was a huge inconvenience to everyone else. Next had a terrible sunburn so we cancelled our massage and went through the hugest hassle over that, concierge was very rude we discovered earlier on the higher the position the less friendly they were to please, we were told we had to pay a 50% cancellation fee. Um NO! Moving on, no late night eating past 11 unless you want room service at an additional fee and there are only 4 entrees on the menu. Participated in Pilates 2 days which we loved but was stood up 2 days of our trip by the instructor being a no show (that's okay I've got nothing better to do then see if they are going to show up for the day... insert eye roll). No beach drink service you want a drink you have to go get it. Beach dining all requires shirt/shoes which was inconvenient at times if you wanted to grab a quick lunch you had to grab your flip flops and men had to have t-shirts. Lounge was smoke free including balcony area HOWEVER you were permitted to smoke INSIDE the lobby, now that's some logic for you! Only a few of the formal restaurants were true restaurants not for example a buffet converted to a Japanese restaurant. Dining reservations were screwed up at no fault of mine (I had my dining ticket to prove it) but the manner they chose to deal with it was rude, they preceded to get loud and speak Spanish assuming we did not understand the language, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL! Only received wash cloths 1 of 7 days. Called down to request pillow top be put on the bed because it was very hard, the pillow top is in between the mattress and box spring being a king bed I could not do it myself so 4 phone calls later someone finally came to my room at 8 pm that evening to put it on my first phone call to request was at 9:30 am. Mini fridge didn't get stocked twice but I will give them credit on this that they did come shortly after placing call to stock it. Days 1-3 we had no turn down service, didn't know the hotel offered so after our room was clean for the day and we would go out for the evening I was a little less cautious with what I locked up assuming no one had reason to enter my room . Wrong day 4 we came back that evening to the room being re-cleaned now I know it sounds petty to complain about a room being cleaned but when they already did it and you didn't expect anyone to come back you do get a little specious when you realize someone has been in your room, we called front desk to which we was told by front desk and assistant manager that they had no idea why anyone would enter our room but would get to the bottom of it. Later that afternoon the Manager informs us it was their turn down service, had that been stated right off the bat it would have been no big deal instead they acted like it was the oddest thing for someone to be in our room, you just would have thought front desk and management would have realized they offered a turn down service to begin with. A simple clarification from the get go would have settled it. Would I go to Mexico again, absolutely, would I stay at the Barcelo again, NEVER! For the price we paid for the week I never would have dreamed I would have been as annoyed so many times as I was. To end on a positive note since this whole review is so negative I will give a shout out to the adult pool bar tender he did awesome maintaining a clean pool area and staying on top of drinks we also were insanely impressed with the french restaurant.

Room Tip: No exhaust fan in bathroom, found that surprising since they bathroom was so fancy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jen S
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Recepción at Premium Level at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 27 November 2014
Dear Jen S,

I'm sorry to hear you had such bad experience, as you could see from other reviews we normally work very hard to maintain a good service for our guest, and they do recognize it. I apologise if you feel we have failed.

Kindly regards.
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

From the airport to booking in.......FLAWLESS!! This hotel is part of 3 at this resort. We have stayed at many hotels and resorts and this one ranks best. There was never a staff member that did not have a smile or failed to greet you. The dining was exquisite . Choices of restaurants and dining were too many.Cleanliness was of a high standard. More than ample waiters were on call on the beach and pool areas.Interactions with the dolphins on the resort is something our young grandson will never forget. The purpose of our visit was for our daughters wedding.The hotel had organized a very intimate ceremony(there were 5 weddings this week ) As a getaway wedding,this has to be THE DESTINATION !!! The only disappointment was leaving,which BTW was again,very efficient . We will be back next year

Room Tip: Upgrade from premier to prestige for a small amount more. It is well worth it.And try and get a room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SellyM
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Premium Level at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 28 November 2014
Dear Ms. Selly.

Thank you for contacting us through our social media.

Barceló Maya Palace
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We just got home last night from one of our best family vacations ever! We stayed in a Junior Suite Club Premium and were able to get Room 8045 which had a King bed and the 2 sofas converted into twin beds. When we arrived we were taken right to the Club Premium for check in instead of waiting in line at the main desk. We were given refreshments in a nice A/C setting. We stayed for 6 nights and 7 days and wanted to stay longer!
Hotel was very clean everywhere! Beds were fine but our King already had a pillow topper on it. Buffet was excellent and service was always exactly what you wanted. Carey Lobby Bar is a must go to before dinner....beautiful setting with ocean views and sunset. Took advantage of the coupons that were we given for Prem Club...did 2 spa visits...mani/pedi(spa) was awesome and very relaxing including a mini neck massage. The 2nd was a bamboo massage which I highly recommend. Our 11 year old twins played pool, ping pong, water polo, water volley ball,snorkeled and more. Overall an excellent trip and we are not a fan of returning to the same place as we like to try different places but we are seriously considering returning to this location next year!

1) Take lots of $1.00 bills for tips....
2) Take lots of sunscreen with you as the sun in intense.
3) Take swim shoes or Tevas.
4) Take float for the pools-with cup holders! :)
5) Take snorkle equipment.
6) Take goggles and Waboba ball if traveling with kids....
7) Deep Sea Fishing - Wasabi Loco-no frills but great fish catching and private charter- we caught 2 big sail fish - 60 lbs+ and 50lbs+ awesome fun!
9) Zip lining, cenote and repelling with Maya Aventures was great!
8) Highly recommend private transfer as it is $15.00 each way in a private van. Drive to airport is a bit over an hour.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank NoVApeeps
Dear Guest.

I have carefully read all your comments and first of all I want to thanks the time you took to write all your good experiences that you and your family lived, it is flattering to know you had a wonderful holiday.

Absolutely we have great facilities where all our guests enjoy a lot of them, like a beach more than a mile long with different areas with soft sand, rocks to snorkel and swim with great fish and turtles, large pools for adults and children with slides, a large variety of restaurants and bars, etc..

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Once we arrived to the barcelo palace it was amazing. The lobby looks really nice. But the people working behind it were kind of slow.
We specifically asked for a bedroom with 2 beds and we were given 1 bed. And we specifically asked not to be put on the first level and we were. We were told to come back the next day as we did and the guy told us that there is nothing he can do. So that was a disappointment.
The rooms are really nice. Very well up kept. The view not so nice. But i guess you get what you paid for.
Making reservations to go eat at the restaurants. We were only able to get in to the late times which was around 9pm. I dont understand considering that we were making reservations the day we got there and that is all they have left. Considering it is spring break they should probably try maybe starting a little earlier opening the restaruants that way people can enjoy them instead of going to the buffet every night. WE wanted to go eat at the japanese restaurant and we couldnt even get in our entire trip. That was a real bummer. THe lady taking the reservations told us that the other people in the hotel where the restaurant is get 1st pick. That is ridiculous. We stayed at the palace and we are told that we can enjoy every thing in every other barcelo. WE tried going the other hotels in the buffet but they were honestly not as good as the palace. Overall the palace had the best buffet food. Very GOOD!!!!! They have chefs behind grills cooking fresh food. For example....raw fish, steak, one night there was lobster, fajitas, tostadas. This is just to name a few. Excellent buffet and the best yet anywhere i have stayed.
One morning it was about 8:45 am and i was by the pool and i noticed that people were getting drinks at the bar so i ordered myself a mamosa. THe guy working behind the bar said okay one moment and then about a minute later he tells me sorry we open at 9. I told him that he just served someone else the same thing i ordered and basically just looked at me and turned away. That was very rude in my eyes.
Overall the resort is super nice and very well kept up. The kiddie area is very nice for kids to play in and the pool is very big.
I would definitly go back there some day. If you are debating whether or not to go to this hotel I would say dont hesistate and just book. It is worth the money and you wont be disappointed in the buffet food.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

#2 of 21 in Chetumal
Capital Plaza Hotel
Capital Plaza Hotel
#3 of 21 in Chetumal

Been to Premium Level at Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!