“Great hotel! but too expensive for what it is” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Noi Puma Lodge

Noi Puma Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Rancagua
“Great hotel! but too expensive for what it is”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed here last March. We where a family of 12.
The hotel is really a lodge, as the name says.
Fully made of wood. Do not expect something modern of fancy.

It has a really nice atmosphere, the staff is great and really friendly.
Breakfast, which was included was delicious.

We booked two trekking for the two days we stayed. Nice walks, the mountains are beautiful.

The only thing is that the rooms are really bad for the price you are paying.
We had one double room. They where small, dark.... and didn't satisfy my expectations.
Really disappointing. They looked like a hostel room.

Public areas are nice and comfortable.

Another down is that here you must eat all your meals at the hotel, because there is nothing near, and it is really expensive too for the price. (bring snacks for the day!)
Salads where basic, nothing really special, and they charged you a lot.
Buffet dinner isn't worth it either.

If you eat here I would recommend you to sit in the bar area, near the big chimneys and order a sandwich from the bar, much better and according for what they charge you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Camila G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Northbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I heliskied with 3 of my buddies at Puma Lodge. The heli ski director is Francisco "Pancho" Medina. Our trip was great. A great helicopter pilot, a great ski guide, and gorgeous terrain. Pancho is a wonderful personality and had meals with us. He tried his best to maximize the vertical feet we could ski in a day. The terrain is terrific. The lodge is magnificent. The food was excellent and the staff was very friendly. It is in a very secluded national park area. It feels like a 5 star lodging in a totally pristine area. The sky at night is incredible sitting in the hot tub. Great times. I would do it again. So, the bottom line is that if you got an itch to go skiing in the North American summer and want some adventure, this is one great place to do it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex35805
New Albany, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Puma Lodge in April, 2013. I recommend the hotel, with some cautions.

The strength of the Puma Lodge is its location. In traveling to Chile over the past 20 years, I’ve looked to find hotels and inns in the middle part of Chile that take advantage of the spectacular scenery and remote locations of the Andes. Certainly such properties have been developed in the far north Atacama desert (in San Pedro de Atacama, among other place) and in Patagonia in the far south (any number of properties, including explora Salto Chico within the Torres del Paine National Park). However, outside of the Lake District, I hadn’t been able to find first class properties in remote locations relatively close to Santiago and the Metropolitan District.

Finding Puma Lodge changed that. It is about 3 hours south of Santiago (one hour (plus or minus) on paved roads, and two hours on gravel roads). As the website suggests, Puma Lodge was intended for heli-skiing. However, it is kept open all year, and so hiking opportunities exist outside of the cold months. At least in the dry season, it didn’t appear 4WD was necessary (although I had it). Rather, you’d simply want a high clearance vehicle, mainly for the last 3 or 4 miles of the drive in.

The fact that the warmer months were an after-thought when the lodge was developed is evident from the fact that the rooms aren’t air-conditioned. That wasn’t a problem for us, since the early April temperatures were in the low 50’s-40’s at night, and the daytime temperatures were in the high 60’s, low 70’s. But, I can imagine that the January or February temperatures would make the lack of air conditioning more of an issue (as some have commented). I’ve seen comments from management that something is planned – if you want to go in January or February, I’d find out what has been done on that front.

The warmer season also appears to bring wide fluctuations in occupancy, and thus in levels of staffing. For example, on the first of our three nights, there was only one additional room occupied (out of the 24 total). It was kind of cool having the lodge essentially to ourselves, but there weren’t many people around to provide service if it was needed (no spa attendant, no resident bartender). The second night, the lodge was full (due to a business group having a conference). The third night, roughly 6 or 7 rooms appeared to be occupied. On the second and third nights, many more staff appeared, and thus the level of service increased.

I perceive that Noi spent more in this hotel than they planned, thus necessitating the need to keep it open year round. That seems to have led to strange efforts to cut costs, such as not offering facial tissues in the rooms (so I got to blow my nose with toilet paper, for heaven’s sake). Little things like that leave a bad impression, and don’t really save that much money.

So, with this introduction, let’s cover the basics:

ROOM

Smallish, but comfortable, and more than adequate for the two us. Lighting was decent, except in the bathroom where the lights were strangely dim. The towels and linens were of first class quality. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom had a small high window that opens into the main hallway – given a chance for more air flow, but allowing noise to come into the room if you leave it open at night.

PUBLIC AREAS

Very expansive, generally well lit, and comfortable. The living room, in particular, was a very nice spot to read and relax before dinner each evening.

HOT TUBS

We reserved a hot tub on our second and third evenings. It took a little bit of work to get the temperature right (the small one was too hot, the large one too cool). However, once we figured it out, the setting was spectacular. With no light sources anywhere near, the night skies are unbelievable to those of us who live in metropolitan areas.

FOOD

Decent, with an occasional flash of very good. There were two options available for each course at dinner and lunch. Sometimes, these seemed a bit heavy. I did mention to the manager how we’d love to have a salad on offer, and at our final meal a third, salad, option was added.

The breakfast options were a bit more limited, but adequate.

SERVICE

Uneven. For example, on the first evening and at several of the later meals, there was no English menu card prepared (I know Noi has stated that one is supposed to be prepared in response to other reviews, but we were there, and none were offered even after inquiry on those occasions). That wasn’t too big a problem, since I speak a reasonable amount of Spanish, but could be more problematic for others.

On our second full day, the kitchen did prepare menu cards. At lunch, there was a dish offered as an appetizer that included octopus. We ordered it – it was very good. At dinner, there was a dish with a different name that also included octopus. Having enjoyed pulpo so much as lunch, we decided to try it in a different dish. Alas, it was the same dish – the kitchen had just changed the name.

On the day when the property was full, the waits between courses were fairly long.

During the morning of our second day, no guide was available for our scheduled outing, since the large group had occupied the guide present. That wasn’t a problem (knowing that the problem was going to occur, the guide gave us good directions for a terrific solo hike), but it wouldn’t happen at a property like explora.

Making our reservation was a bit more complicated that it should have been. I sent my initial inquiry, and promptly got a response. However, I wanted a three night package, instead of two nights. So, I asked if that would be possible. There was no response for a week – only after I sent a second email asking if the first had been received did I finally hear back. I almost gave up and booked another property (I’m glad I didn’t).

Our guide, JP, was terrific. I won’t go into more detail since we were there on his last two days. Hopefully, the lodge has found a replacement as good as JP.

THE ACTIVITIES

Fabulous. The hiking and scenery immediately surrounding the lodge are breathtaking. We went on 4 guided and one self-directed hikes. All of them were absolutely terrific. From the website, it appears that there are some hikes that start from locations at a distance from the lodge – in our case, every hike started from within a mile or so of the property. These hikes made our trip – pictures are attached.

THE CONCLUSION

The location of Puma Lodge makes up for many of the failings I’ve outlined here. The young manager is personable and interested in the well-being of his guests (he spent time at an explora property, so he knows what’s involved in a first class operation). I’m hoping that Noi will invest more in getting the word out about the warm-weather activities at the Lodge, since a higher occupancy rate would allow for better staffing – alleviating some of the quibbles I’m mentioned above. At a minimum, they can’t allow reservations to go a week without getting back to an inquiry.

If you like outdoor activities, and love hiking in spectacular settings, and are willing to be a bit flexible about your arrangements, by all means come for a stay at Puma Lodge (I’d recommend three nights, but not more). It’s worth whatever hassles you might experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same -- chose a second floor room if you want to leave your window open at nig...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OrrvilleRedRider
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

The promise of a 5 star full luxury expereience was not fulfilled at all. Pros: Good location and nice landscape. Cons: we planned a romantic/aniversary get-away. We got there at 3PM there was no lunch and the kitchen was closed. The rooms were good, not spectacular. Our bathroom window faced he common hallway/distribution hall. The dinner food was nice, but very short in options and we had to wait for 20 minutes to get a table (the hotel was half occupied). The spa did not have any people in the front desk neither answered the phone to do a reservation. There was one person doing the massages, so we could not get the option of having a massage simoultaneously. The water in the hottub outside was warm/cold, not suitable for the weather temperature. The decoration was nice, not stunning, somehow DYO decoration. We left early the next day. Did not feel like staying.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Rosario G
Noi H, Gerente at Noi Puma Lodge, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Puma Lodge through TripAdvisor. Your comments help us to continue with our good service and improve. Puma Lodge is located in the middle of the Andes Mountains range, two hours away from Santiago by car ( half an hour by one of one of our helicopters). The design and architecture were thought to complement the natural landscape, with a minimal impact on the environment, one of our big principles.
We regret any inconvenience with your visit, we assure you that this is an exceptional situation. We have already taken action on this issue and, we are very concerned with improving the points and we will make sure that that does not happen again .
For your next stay, we encourage you to explore the surrounding areas asking for one of our amazing guided tours that include trekking, biking, horse riding and fishing.
We are grateful because of your comment about the kindness of our staff. The professionalism is a hallmark of all our 6 properties that makes us unique. You can check it yourself, visiting us at any of these amazing locations: Casa Atacama in the Atacama desert, Noi Vitacura in Santiago, Indigo in Patagonia, Crusoe Island Lodge in Juan Fernández archipelago, and Hare Noi in Isla de Pascua.
We will be waiting for you.
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

We arrived at Puma Lodge expecting a great experience in the Andes. However, we arrived to a hotel that seemed to lack direction and management. After a three hour drive from the airport, we were not even properly welcomed and were greeted with "Passport please".

Pros: Beautiful setting, our outdoor guide JP was fantastic, hotel architecture, hike and rock climbing were fun

Cons: Food was not good at all - we barely ate, service was poor, rooms are not sound proof at all so sleeping is tough as all noise in the hall comes into the room; 3 1/2 star hotel at best

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank funtraveler30
Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

My husband and myself spent last weekend at Puma Lodge.
Even though we came from Santiago, it was a hard dirt one hour road, after Rancagua, from Coya. Our trip was not exempt of adventure, but this had nothing to do with the resort. When we were around 15 kms. away from the lodge, we realized we had ripped one tire. It was already dark and it was looking hard to replace with the spare tire of our Land Rover. We phoned the lodge, and they were able to send someone to pick us up. They were nice enough to come, though we had already finished with the tire, thanks to a nice stranger that stopped to help us.
The lodge is very well placed, right in the mountains. I have to say that even though it's the end of summer, the beauty is overwhelming. I can imagine how beautiful it must be in winter, with every mountain covered in snow.
The lodge is nice. Rustic but comfortable. Rooms are small but adequate. One word of disapproving are the television sets in the rooms. Their sound quality is one of the worse I've experienced in a long time, I could hardly understand what was being spoken. I couldn't tell what the brand was, since they have the Noi logo instead of the commercial logo on it. I do think this is a very poor idea of advertisement. They could afford better sets.
The service was good, people were friendly.
I have to say that the two choice menu system they have can be a hit or miss. Some times I had no problem selecting one and found everything good, but other day I didn't care for any of the choices and couldn't have the option of having a simple sandwich instead. The lodge was full that weekend, and the personal seemed struggling to take care of the guests. They were clearly not prepared for a full house. This should be addressed. Room service will be deeply appreciated.
On the other hand, we enjoyed a hot tub under the stars, priceless.
Also enjoyed hiking around the area; the paths were well marked and the view was breathtaking.
Definitely worth the trip.
I'm looking forward to a future visit around winter time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Clandrea
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

The lodge is placed at the end of what is a one hour drive of an essentially well maintained dirt road that starts in the town of Coya. Nonetheless it is highly recommendable to go in a high vehicle, not necessarily a 4x4, due to the climb to the lodge in the last few kilometers. The placement of the lodge is in the confluence of canyons and surrounded by breathtakingly beautiful mountains. The building itself, wood and stone, is very nice and comfortable. All the staff was incredibly helpful and informative. We spent two nights there and took two excursions. Don't miss the wooden hot tubs under the sky (reservation needed). A few things that I would suggest to the management to improve even more the experience: the menu should be more informative and written at least in Spanish and English. The selection of food is limited (two appetizers, two main dishes and tho desserts to choose from), but the quality of the food was excellent. No complains there, on the contrary, our compliments to the chef. We ordered in two different days a salad with the same fantasy name on the menu (no description) and we got completely different salads. Another thing: we had a full board program for two nights, and we got two breakfasts, two dinners and one lunch. I would suggest to charge a little more and include the second lunch (we said nothing and paid for it, but I believe they should avoid that kind of "fine print" thing). Another thing that needs improvement is the excursions program. We couldn't get a full description of what was on offer, with a description and degree of difficulty. We had the impression that our excursions were a last minute arrangement. On the other hand they were absolutely enjoyable and the guides were very, very nice.
We would go back in a heartbeat. Beautiful, beautiful place. Oh! Those mountains!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
NoiHotels1, Gerente at Noi Puma Lodge, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear PH2006:
We thank you for sharing your experience in Puma Lodge with other travelers through TripAdvisor. Puma Lodge is in an amazing place, surrounded by the mountains of the Andes. It's two hours from Santiago by car, and half an hour in our helicopters.
As you indicate, the lodge has been built with materials like wood and stone. Its design was carefully created to harmonize with the surrounding natural environment, and to be a friendly place where our guests can relax and unwind.
We're glad you enjoyed the excursions led by expert guides, the hot tubs and the exquisite cuisine of our restaurant Alto Las Leñas.
In terms about the menu, is a three-course menu (which varies lunch and dinner), supervised by the executive chef of Noi Hotels, Matías Palomo, recognized internationally. Also, for the convenience of our guests, menus are printed daily in English and Spanish.
For your next visit we recommend exclusive relax with the therapies of our spa Los Cipreses
On the quality and professionalism of our staff, we tell you that this is a fundamental feature of all hotels Noi Hotels chain. You can see for yourself by visiting them in places where they are incredible: Casa Atacama in the Atacama Desert, Noi Vitacura in Santiago, in Patagonia Indigo, Crusoe Island Lodge in the Archipelago Juan Fernandez, and Hare Noi in Easter Island.
We will be waiting for your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancagua
OP Hotels
#7 of 7 in Rancagua
Surf lodge Punta de Lobos
Surf lodge Punta de Lobos
#3 of 3 in Pichilemu

Been to Noi Puma Lodge? Share your experiences!