All reviews water taxi bocas del toro private room main island other islands every night central america great food other guests amazing place hospital point family dinner jungle trail hot water other travelers long time rubber boots
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

I've checked out a few hostels in Bocas, Bambuda is still my favourite, perfect if you want to relax, chill and while at it still meet new people.
If surfing is why you are there, I would recommend you to rent a board on the main island since there is no surfing in Solarte ;)

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

I stayed 4 nights and had the most fantastic experience ever! Had booked a room with shared bathroom but for some reason I got a free upgrade to a jungle bungalow with private bathroom and superbe vieuw of the ocean. The food is amazing for a reasonable price and in the evening everybody comes to the lounge / restaurant for drinks and dinner and after dinner...The vibes were brilliant and I made many new friends. I also loved the pool and the famous waterslide right into the ocean. The staff was very friendly and everything well organized. They have laundry service and can arrange all your transfers.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2018

I stayed at the Bambuda Lodge in October and had the greatest experience. It was my first time backpacking and staying in hostels and I couldn't have been luckier to start at a place like this. The staff was absolutely awesome and the grounds were beautiful. I cannot say enough about the food - I can't even emphasize how AMAZING it was. Each meal was so good I was actually bummed out when we missed dinner one night. The only thing that threw me off a bit was that the private room I stayed in had this like faint pee smell - I just associated it with the fact that they recycle their water. My friend's room and the dorms didn't have this same smell so I'm not sure. Despite this, I would 100% recommend this to anyone and everyone and can't wait until I get to go back.

Room tip: Rooms facing the Ocean had beautiful views.
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank simonemekli
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

First let me say that this place was beautiful and the staff were terrific. I would absolutely stay here to get away from it all. I would caution that it is not always easy to get here from Bocatown - if the weather is bad it can be tough to get a water taxi and you will be dependent the taxi run be the hotel. I had no idea and almost did not get back to the room after a night dive (only thru some big effort by the staff and som bribery to a boat driver did I make it). Then we could not get back off in the morning. If I had wanted to make a morning dive, I would have missed it.

Not sure how often this happens but if you have some specific things you are doing in Boca, I would stay in town. If your schedule is more flexible, then come here. The inconvenience, for me, was not worth it.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank U7570OEkellyt
SlorpBop, Manager at Bambuda Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Good evening, Kelly!

Despite the weather, we're glad that you were still able to enjoy the place (:

When you visited, we were in a series of some serious storms, some that hadn't been seen in the past few years in Bocas. It caused a lot of trouble for lots of people, in terms of even getting from Bocas to the first place, let alone getting to the other islands. Because of the strong wind, it was very unsafe for boats to leave the docks. They weren't crossing for the safety of the passengers. I'm surprised that dives even went out those days as the waves were so high.

So, to answer your question, no this does not happen offer and it caused a lot of problems for us and our guests. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you back again when it's sunny and clear skies! (:

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

My expectations for this place were so high. Having worked in the hotel industry for years in a few countries and having traveled around the world in all kinds of hostel, lodge, hotels, eco lodge, this hotel is not worth the money AT ALL. Yes the surroundings are nice, but there are plenty of similar places in Panama for much cheaper and better service.

First of all, let’s talk about the staff. Worst staff ever. No Hi, no small, never got a Thank you from anyone neither at check out. They make you feel like they are guess too. Lol! The person (Panamanian guy) who “welcomed” us at the reception was nothing but rude. He made us felt like s*, like we were disturbing him. I cannot believe management allows this kind of attitude knowing people take vacation once a year and pick places carefully and expect to be welcomed properly with a smile. Nope. If it was my hotel, I would change the entire staff team except for Tori, who was the only one working for the clients and answering questions. So when we checked in, He barely explains the facilities and even answered me “it’s written on the board” or to another question “someone else will give you the info”. Seriously! He was in a hurry to get back to his cellphone.

Then we got to our room. What a disappointment, our most expensive room and worst room so far in Panama. We went back online to compare pictures and don’t do the same mistake, pictures online are NOT representative of the reality. Room was stinky, small, tiny balcony and we could hear all of our neighbours (unlike what they say online). You get one soap and one towel per person, but don’t expect more, no shampoo for 85 USD a night with shared bathroom....! And about the showers, it feels like you are in a bunker. Thank god they had hot water.

Finally food. Since you’re stuck on the island when it rains you eat their food but for $13 per person both of our plates were not good, our worst meal in Panama so far. The only good value is the bottle of wine for 12 USD. Again, so disappointing. Breakfast was fine but with coffee it’s 8 USD, overprice again. It should be included in the room price.

They did a great marketing job, but if you travel a lot and you pick this place based on what you see on their website, don’t go. There are much better options in the area for greater value. I do not recommend this place and am very happy we only stayed one night.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mplove84

Good evening!

That's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with our staff. Our receptionist has been spoken with, but in the past we have not had issues with our other staff. Thank you for bringing that to our attention! We'll add it to the list for the next meeting.

Our room prices have since been lowered to a more acceptable rate, to make it worth what you get in return.

I'm very surprised you didn't enjoy the dinner... That is the one thing we take most pride in and that most guests rave about. We have a gourmet chef who cooks some of the most impressive plates in Bocas del Toro. I hope that if you come back to Panama, you're able to try a different one of his plates. They are top-notch and hard to find for a lower price in other areas of Bocas.

Breakfast options range from $2-$6, options for every budget, and we are in process of renovating the menu. Coffee and tea costs $2, but are refillable all day long.

Thank you for your feedback, we greatly appreciate it!