All reviews water taxi bocas del toro private room main island every night other islands central america great food other guests amazing place hospital point family dinner jungle trail hot water other travelers long time rubber boots
Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

Really nice hostel! We recommend it.

The food was excellent, the private room was very spacious and the staff does a great job.

The hike behind the hostel to Hospital Point was very muddy, do not wear your good shoes. The signs need to be updated (some are missing or on the ground which is sometimes confusing).

Be aware of insects and other wildlife such as snakes around the hostel.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

I spent 2 nights at Bambuda Lodge. The place is amazing, with a nice view on the sea, surrounded by tropical forest. There is a nice swimming pool area with a nice and clean swimming pool, sunbeds, chairs and hammocks. In the dining area there are plenty of tables to socialize and a nice lounge area. Generally the facilities are very clean and well taken care of. There is a slide at the end of which you fall into the sea. The beds are comfortable and a night at the hostel is priced reasonably. There is delicious food at breakfast, lunch and dinner, the dinner is a family style dinner with all the current guests having dinner together. The staff is very nice, helpful and smiling.
It was a great experience!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Great hostel just outside Boca’s town. Nice pool area, laid back staff (who seem to always remember your name which is quite impressive) and decently priced drinks. The - I believe - 40m water slide is fun and surprisingly fast (don’t let the liability waiver put you off). The breakfast is decent, lunch mediocre and dinner good (very good for hostel standards). Only drawback is the lack of airconditioning in the rooms which for the rest are clean and comfy. Tip: the three bed room has a bunk bed with 2 down and 1 up; for the 2 down you have to be real friendly because it is snug

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank martinbroberts
Reviewed 19 September 2018

We stayed at Bambuda at the recommendation of a friend of ours that lives on Solarte. We used it as a base camp as we played and adventured nearby. I stayed in one of the private rooms with a jungle view. The drinking water is all filtered rainwater, and my entire party went the whole week with no ill effects. I refilled my bottle every morning and stopped giving it a thought. My shower did have hot water, but water pressure was more of the trickle variety than a firehose. After a long day covered in bug spray, sweat, salt and sun tan lotion, it was a welcome respite and got the job done. The bed was of the mail order memory foam variety and was comfortable. The fan above the bed was a God send to create air movement while sleeping and once I figured out that it didn't rattle on the #4 setting, it was fairly comfortable sleeping. With all of the screened windows open all of the time, I tended to wake with the sun and the jungle birds - so I would advise to bring ear plugs to squeeze as much peace out of each night. We ate breakfast there every morning and the food was solid, and coffee was good. The iced coffee was my go-to choice with the heat and humidity in play. I had dinner there once and the Fish and Chips was a huge portion of lightly breaded Marlin over fries. It was well executed and I couldn't finish it. My vegetarian leaning friends enjoyed the Garbonzo Bean stew. I tried to make a go at the Jungle Trail, and borrowed a pair of the complimentary rubber boots, but I didn't have any socks and the insides of the boots rubbed my ankle bones like sand paper, so I didn't make it very far. The staff was very friendly. I enjoyed the craft bar soap provided, but no shampoo was provided. The towels needed to be swapped out every couple of days since they never really dried and started to ripen in short order. My party enjoyed our stay and I would recommend the place to an eco minded type who doesn't require air conditioning to survive.

Room tip: Share your privacy wishes with the staff prior to choosing a room.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
SlorpBop, Manager at Bambuda Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2018

Good afternoon, Mike!

We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Bambuda, and enjoy the jungle life - our little slice of paradise! Hope to see you back soon... For next time, just ask for a new towel at reception (: As we run on majority solar power and rain water we try to be as conservative as possible!

Best,

Bambuda Lodge

Reviewed 18 September 2018

I spent 8 days working remotely and playing at Bambuda and had the BEST time. You're away from the actual town which is really nice and refreshing. The staff was absolutely incredible and accommodating. The manager, Brit Rich, is hilarious and if you honestly have some planning to do or need something, he'll find it for you. It's easy to just order on your tab and then pay at the end of your stay. The whole vibe and set up is comfortable and easy to be around. You can kayak, snorkel, SUP, slide into the ocean and swim in their pool. There's a lot to do around the islands, so they can always take you via boat to do day excursions. My favorite part is that even though they have a limited menu because they're secluded - GOOD GOD WAS THE FOOD AMAZING. The breakfast and lunch menu is always the same but the dinner menu could easily be a $20-30 food item in Panama City. They have 4 delicious creations to choose from and the Chef from Chile never disappointed. It can sometimes turn into a party at night depending on guest but I can't tell you how impressed I was that you can't hear ANYTHING, even directly above where people are. You can go to bed early and won't hear anything even in the dorms above. There's not a single thing I can complain about honestly. They even give you bug spray if you need it! I will be back and maybe even to the Boquette location. HIGHLY recommend staying here. Try to turn up for BamBingo. <3

Room tip: They have shared dorms for $10 or you can get a private one as well.
Date of stay: September 2018