“Horrendous service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Malapascua Island
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“Horrendous service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Staff are really unhelpful here and as a result we stayed down the beach at legends resort, who were far more accommodating, and better value.

Upon arriving we found that the internet was down, and as a result they could not process our booking. Although we had a screen shot of our prices from agoda, they refused to accept and wanted to charge a walk in price which was double to the offers available online, usually I bemoan people who winge abt not booking before and then having to pay more, but this was ridiculous and staff need better training,

As a result, they lost out on a lot of business post check in, with diving and out f&b costs amounting to a very healthy spend, bad staff = bad returns.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Duncg03
slamsgarden_resort, Owner at Slam's Garden Resort, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for posting a review about our place.

We are glad that you find a place more accommodating for you stay in Malapascua.
First:
Upon arrival there was no internet to process you booking. Since the typhoon last November 8 the signal is on and off. And that is for the whole Island. If no internet in our place there is no internet in other resort on the island.
Second:
YOU DON'T HAVE ANY BOOKING with us.
You come as a walk in and show a screen shot from Agoda that you said was two times cheaper.
Except our fan rooms i don't know where you find that. We also work with a channel manager that will guarantee the parity between all travels agencies.
Some agencies will show the NET price and other like in you example AGODA will show one price NOT INCLUDE TAXES AND SERVICE CHARGE. But if you book and go until the payment of your booking this charges will be added at the end of the processing.
Unfortunately it appear that you don't know that.
Third:
I agree with you that my staff need better training and that will be my responsibility but we take only staff from the island to give work to the people of Malapascua and we do our best as we can.
Fourth:
I surprise that you put a review with one rating and YOU DON'T EVEN STAY WITH US.
As it's the first time we get a ONE RATING our customers will understand comparing with all another reviews we have.

Again thank you and next time you argue with one hotel about the prices make sure you know of what's your talking about.

Slam's Garden Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Room was big, good, clean and had the standard, bed was absolutely terrible, 6 inch foam mattress, luckily there were two double beds in the room so we put the other mattress on top, 12 inches of foam mattress is better than 6. We had complimentary breakfast for the 3 days we were there, only had it once, not very good. No bottled water provided at all. Couldn't go back to the room to relax because it was so damn uncomfortable.

Will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Terry F
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Slam's with a dive group. There is nothing inherently WRONG with the facility, it just lacks polish and finish, and could easily be improved. The rooms in the new wing are spacious and the beds comfortable. Breakfast orders were always a challenge, with the staff not REALLY understanding English, and most things had to be asked for, repeatedly - with the staff seeming unable to complete an order or understand that a breakfast comes with coffee and juice. Both of which had to be asked for. I was also aggrieved when I was charged extra for "More butter" on top of the tiny scrape that was provided with my toast. Filter coffee for breakfast would be nice, and probably cheaper for the management than individual packets of Nescafé and water from a flask, which was not always boiling hot.
This review should not be confused with the staff's desire to help, it is their capability to help that is being questioned. However, when the air conditioning in the room broke, the staff offered a room move without question, while the repair man travelled from Cebu City.
The flies around the dining area made eating here less than ideal, and combined with the challenging service I chose to forego my rate inclusive breakfast and find somewhere else for my morning eggs and toast

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RMJ1066
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We loved our stay at SLAM's. The room was very clean and the stuff friendly and helpful. The food at restaurant was also really good. Try the pancakes for breakfast!
The location is also excellent, there are dive shops next to it and it's 20 meters to the beach. We would definitely go back.

Private
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Slam's Garden is a mid-range property according to Southeast Asia standards and a basic bargain property based on Western standards. As previously mentioned, this is not an oceanfront property. Unless that was the sole purpose of your travel, then the 3 min walk around the corner is worth the savings, especially if you are diving. After traveling through Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines in rooms ranging from $20-30 a night, Slam's Garden fan room offered quite a few features that were previously missed.

The property appears fairly new, so there are no signs of wear and tear or a need for a major renovation. The linens and towels were in good condition instead of stained or with holes. The shower is separate from the toilet, whereas before the toilet and the whole bathroom would become drenched after a shower. The room was cleaned daily with a two night stay. In fact, the decor in the room was simply, but quite charming. I felt like I was actually staying in a hotel instead of someone's back room. The entire property is quite lovely with the hammocks and artistic landscape.

The true measure of this location is that the cheapest room, the fan room, was well maintained contrary to the practice of all the other places I stayed. I stayed in the fan room during mid September. I specify the time, because I don't believe that fan room will be comfortable year round. I am actually acclimated to extremely warm conditions and still woke up in a mild sweat. I would recommend that Slam's Garden change the cute curtains to a heavier shade that doesn't blow when the fan oscillates. You may need to ditch your jammies to stay cool, but be prepared to show the staff and other guests all your curves and dimples.

Aside from the flimsy curtains, my only major complaint is the cost and quality of food. After one dinner with Slam's Garden, I went exploring and found numerous cheaper options around the island. Sometimes the difference was half the cost. The island is a minute big. For some Westerners we have Targets and malls that are bigger than this island. Walk about.

Malapascua Tips:
1. Bring a Torch
This is a rural island. A flashlight comes in handy to avoid tripping and stepping into puddles when walking about.

2. Diving
I dived with Thresher Shark Divers, the dives offered unique encounters, but the life was not abundant. Some divers were disappointed.

3. Affordable Dining
There is an alleyway next to Thresher Shark Divers that heads towards the village. When you reach the first pathway turn right for cheaper dining options. There are more on the island if you look about, but this is a starting place.

4. Getting There
Add at least an hour to the length of the bus ride. Ceres is a reputable bus company. Unless you are taking the first bus or traveling on a fairly cool day, I recommend the air-con bus. As we approached 11 am riding the non-air bus started to become uncomfortable.

Negotiating the boat ride across is the sole reason I will never return to Malapascua again. For budget travelers who consider booking transport through their lodging steep, find a way to pay. If I had to do it again, I would still take the bus, but arrange the boat crossing with the hotel. The ticket booth and the boat captain are working together to charge as much as possible for the transfer across. This is a real problem during low season when there are not as many tourist passengers. I specify tourist, because the locals are crossing for minimal to free. The tourist are paying for their transit.

The public boat is 80 pesos.
The captain charged an extra 200 pesos after attempting 300 pesos.
The low tide transfer was 20 pesos, but it is ALWAYS low tide.

2 Thank CuriousTrvl
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

This is my second time there. This time we stayed in the new wing and the rooms are spacious. Again, I love the location as it is near one of the villages and it is much quieter on this side of the island.

However, the service this time wasn't very friendly. It is a little more efficient as now the restaurant has been in operations for a year now. But the friendliness of the staff just wasn't there this time. It left me feeling a little cold especially after the previous visit where the staff were just brilliantly friendly.

Doubt I will return again, pretty fortunately.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at Slam's because it is near DiveLink. The rooms are clean and spacious(with balcony)-where we had our gears hanged to dry. Stayed at the 2nd floor (only 2 floors). We had free breakfast and it was average. They had only 4 guests, my partner and I and 2 koreans. So they attended to our needs, specially when we ordered dinner one time. The downside of this resort is that when you're not a diver and wants to enjoy the waters of Malapascua, the beach where you can actually swim is a bit far. you cannot swim in front of the resort because of the boat traffic there. AC could be improved. On our stay there was construction beside the resort and loud music was being played in the afternoon. For those who enjoyed the early morning dive with the thresher sharks @ 430am and 2 more dives in the late morning and wants to relax after, you'll be a bit annoyed by this.Food was pricier than from the nearby eatery. The staff are friendly and accommodating . Overall we had an average stay.

Room Tip: If you dont want to carry your dive gears up the stairs, i suggest you take the rooms at the first f...