“Good for the price”

Blue Water Resort (Malapascua Beach Resort)
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Malapascua Island
Maldives
“Good for the price”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I got a PHP 1500 cottage, and stayed for 10 nights. They will give you good discount if you do diving with their dive center, which is also good, especially Thanks to Daniela, the instructor/manager.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent location, and clean enough. The quality of the cottage, relative to the price, is good. I saw other budget options on the island which were pretty terrible. This one had constant hot water, 24h electricity, decent bathroom, and free wifi. And a nice terrace where you can hang out.

Cons: a few nights they had loud music playing at the bar next door until late. Just twice, but it was annoying enough. The restaurant is, sorry to say, terrible. But there are plenty of good options within 3 minutes walking.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Agnes C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My companions and I woke up with multiple bed bug bites on our arms, lower legs and feet. Had we not worn shirts and shorts to sleep, I reckon it would have been much worse! We took 2 rooms, the bathroom/CR of one didn't have a door (just a curtain), and the other one's bathroom/CR door was broken (no knob, but seemed to lock on its own). One of our companions was locked in the bathroom/CR for about 20 minutes, until someone from reception had to help her out. Lastly, the staff are quite disorganized and lack training. While this one lady was showing us the available rooms, she couldn't even answer when we asked multiple times for multiple rooms, "So, how much is this room?"

Room Tip: Don't get a Garden View Fan room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Paul Bray O

Travellers are raving about these Malapascua Island hotels

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Stayed in this place a couple of times and getting the same kind of service. Rooms are of average but location tops since it is has nice and wide beach front. Also, when staying here you don't have to walk far from the docking area of the ferries which is located at the back of the resort.

Pros:
- location

Cons:
- old rooms
- slacking staff

• Stayed February 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed 4 nights in Blue Water Resort on Malapascua. Hotel is just by the beach and its beach bar/restaurant has an excellent view. Location is very good. Rooms were not that comfortable - clean but musty and toilets simple. Staff were friendly, but it was more like a scene from the Friends than a hotel. There is dive shop at the same compound.

• Stayed December 2011
Tønsberg, Vestfold, Norway
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We found this hotel on the internet and booked in advance. We are expirienced travelers in Asia and we travel with children 2 and 4 years old. We both dive. We only stayed here one night and then transferred to another resort. The staff was very friendly and we could upgrade to family room for free on arrival. We were warmly welcomed. There was a smell of funghus in the room, and one of us reacted allergically to this. The beds were uncomfortable. But the really bad thing started at 9 in the evening. There was a tremendously loud party going on nextdoor keeping us awake half night. Poor breakfast. No wifi.This resort was advertised as middle class and had rates after that. It would be a good backpacker hotel though if you join the party and pay half rates.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Ulf Wike L
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I travel to Malapascua with my wife on a summer vacation. A friendly canvasser approached us on the beach upon our arrival from Maya Cebu. My budget is 1000 pesos per night, however he refers me to Blue Water Resort, which is very close from where the boats arrived from Maya because it is within my budget.

Me and my wife stayed for one night at 800 pesos. It was cheap however I have my best sleep of my life. The room was big, since I cannot afford air condition unit rooms, we decided to rent a room with a fan. I am expecting it to be very hot at night but its not. The place was quite, romantic and cool.

The room is native type and made of wood, it is not elegant or classy but the place was really ok. One good thing is the CR and room size, for 800 pesos I find the room big or spacious. I find the bed to be very nice and comfortable, it made me sleep really quick!

800 pesos might change especially if you are visiting malapascua on peak months. It might swing to 1000 pesos I guess. The 800 pesos a night package includes a breakfast.

Other thing that makes this resort excellent is that it is very close to the beach, when you go out on your room, you will immediately see the beach and the calm blue waters of malapascua. If you are into diving, they provide equipments also typically for thresher shark diving if you are a certified open water diver. This resort has its own boats and facilities.The electricity runs 24 hours which is OK if you are bringing some electronic gadgets like laptops. I do not know if the resort is also a wi-fi zone as I am not used to bringing any laptops while on vacation.

On the night, me and my wife enjoy some beers on their bar while playing 4 in a line game, it was really fun. The price was ok, the bar is right in the side of the beach, and when its night, you can really enjoy the fresh air of the islands. The morning is hot but it is still very relaxing, it will take your stress out.

One downside I have seen is in foods, they do no have active restaurant, they do offer some foods but I cannot see a lot of people dining. It is still a good thing for me because I am not planning to dine in a resort based restaurant because I know it can be expensive, you can find a lot of cheaper but quality foods to dine in Malapascua. So it means that if you are hungry and in budget, you will likely dine in other places not in Blue water.

Blue water resort garden is beautifully done, you can sleep in their gardens in their man made swings(connected to a cocunut) and be lazy on the beach. No one bothers,you are on a vacation.

The crew of this resort is friendly and the resort is safe from outsiders. They have a 24 hours guard on duty that will protect outsiders from coming from within your room and in their gardens.

If you are into sports, blue water resort has a volleyball court just outside their resort. You can borrow volleyball and play without any fee. The beach front is perfectly blue and crystal clear waters, although if it is low tide, you cannot swim because the water extends to far from the beach side. And if it is high tide and wavy, you might have problems with swimming (it will immediately go deep within meters from the beach side). In this case, you can go anywhere on the island to find ideal place, or rent a boat for snorkeling for about 4 hours at 800 pesos. Malapascua Island has the best coral reef gardens and wild collection of fishes I have seen on the Visayan Sea!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Emerson791
Dublin
Reviewed 9 January 2010

I stayed in a beachside bamboo cottage. I picked the beach cottage as from home I thought that might be one of the nicest ones. Was very happy with the accommodation on arrival and felt the rooms and furnishings and pleasant gardens were very clean and well maintained with lovely balconies to sit and read / people watch. The staff were nice and the food was also very nice. However I stayed 2 nights and next door is a disco bar. The 1st night the music went off by 12. I'm NOT a light sleeper but this was like the being in a disco on the speaker, it's so loud. The 2nd night it went on until 3 and if you are up for a shark dive at 5 or 6 it's not good to be diving tired! If I stay again I will ask for something off the beach. The diving setup is really professional and efficient. Its such a pity about the noise! But maybe if you go in to the pub instead of going to bed you won't care!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Daanbantayan
Malapascua Legend
Malapascua Legend
#11 of 13 in Malapascua Island

Been to Blue Water Resort (Malapascua Beach Resort)? Share your experiences!