“Rubbish weather but excellent diving”

Thresher Shark Divers
Book In Advance
US$105.06*
and up
Three-Dive Scuba Diving Tour with Morning Thresher Shark Dive from Malapascua...
US$288.92*
10 Dive Package in Malapascua Island
US$433.39*
4 Night Dive Package to Malapascua Island Cebu
Ranked #3 of 23 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Center, located on Malapascua Island in the Philippines. Offering daily thresher shark dives, mantas, hammerheads, reefs and wrecks, macro and muck diving, mating mandarin fish, seahorses, frogfish and much more. Small groups with experienced Divemasters and Instructors. TSD offers all the local dives sites, a full range of PADI courses from beginner to Instructor, dive internships and technical diving. British owned and run, professional and safe, with 8 years experience on Malapascua,
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We have just returned from the Philippines. Unfortunately Malapascua was suffering from the tail end of the super typhoon sitting just north of them when we were there. This limited the dive sites available to us and sites available were subject to choppy seas. We did not miss any diving, however, because of the weather and the boat boys did an excellent job in ensuring that we got into and out of the water safely. They really do put your fins on - especially to assist in rough weather to avoid accidents.

We really liked the idea of having one divemaster look after you all week. He knew our likes/dislikes, strengths and limitations - especially important given the weather. Gibb was extremely adept at spotting little critters we wanted to see including pygmy seashorses, bobtail squid, spearing mantis shrimp, zebra crabs and candy crabs. Even a blue ringed octopus - all 2 inches of it. None of which we had seen before.

All the staff were friendly and helpful. Everyone tried their best to make it an excellent holiday for us.

We saw threshers on 2 out of 3 occasions. On the occasion we did not the other groups from out boat saw about 14 at once. They were more experienced divers and travelled further than us against very strong currents. Parly luck of the draw being in the right place a the right time. I believe the sharks truly are there every day you just have to find them and more often than not you will. Well worth the effort when you do see them.

Andrea arranged our transfers to and from Cebu (which went very smoothly) and the accommodation. We stayed at Logon Resort which was excellent. We would thoroughly recommend TSD to anyone.

Feel free to ask any questions if you would like more information.

1  Thank EvelynEngland
There are newer reviews for Thresher Shark Divers

Reviewed 10 October 2012

TSD are not perfect. They could improve in the area of timing. The thresher sharks and mandarin fish may be sighted only during certain times so timing is important. I missed the mandarin fish one night because we were too late and I failed to see thresher sharks one of three dives because we may have been late (There were already seven other boats at the site when we arrived.) due to a failure to link up boats.

That said, TSD are highly professional. I've dived all over the world and rate them among the best. They are extremely pedantic about safety, and the staff were always double checking clients. The dive masters were extremely adept at finding sea creatures, and the dives were almost always exceptional. All staff knew my name and all were exceedingly friendly. I struggle with equalising, etc, and they were always extremely patient. Marianne spent a great deal of time responding to queries and on one occasion lent me her mask as I was experiencing difficulties with mine. Angus was exceptional in his endeavours. James was an extraordinary guide. :):) Gibb was extremely patient. Will was invaluable as a good luck charm. Unlike another reviewer who felt slighted because he wasn't getting enough attention, I felt as if I always had a number of eyes looking after me. I would not hesitate in using their service again.

3  Thank Wandering_Rick
scbrdvr, Owner at Thresher Shark Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you to this reviewer for his kind words. We do our very best to ensure that each diver has the best possible vacation, so we are very happy when our guests have such a great time.

We would also like to apologise sincerely for the problems he encountered during his stay. In general, our boats leave promptly and late boats are extremely rare. On the week this guest was diving with us, it was very unfortunate in that not one, but three boat engines malfunctioned on the same day. This is highly unusual - in fact in our 8 years of operation I cannot remember this ever happening.

I addition there were high winds at the time and so we could not load boats outside the dive shop as is usual - instead we had to transfer everything - gear and customers alike - by motorbike to the other side of the island - a time consuming task.

This all compounded to make the boats late a handful of times that week. Usually, bad weather or boat problems will not make us late, but it was very unlucky that these all happened at once. Although most people do not realise it, sharks are usually there until about 7 or 8am, after most of the boats have left, and the weather can affect mandarin sightings, so it possible is was just an unlucky combination of events for the reviewer.

So again, our deepest apologies, and we would like to assure you that we consider it a priority to get our boats out on schedule and we do our very best to make this happen every day. We hope to see the reviewer again the future so he can see how smoothly things usually run :-)

Reviewed 3 October 2012

Thresher Shark Divers was really great! They were extremely helpful. The dive masters there were amazing, and were very accommodating (and Angus was definitely easy on the eyes). I only had a short amount of time there, but they were able to help me to achieve what I wanted (except actually see the sharks). The reef was beautiful and teeming with sea life. Oscar's staff was very warm and welcoming, and I never had to tell them my name for my tab after the first time. The Paratha curry roll was one of the best things that I have had in a long time. Highest recommendations!

1  Thank Baventure
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I really had a fantastic time diving with Thresher Shark Divers. I did my Nitrox course there and my instructor Marianne was absolutely great: very patient, competent to the max and she just made me feel comfortable at all times. During my fun dives afterwards I met the other staff members, too and there hasn't been one I could say anything bad about. I'll definitely go back there again! What really impressed me is that thresher shark divers also set their own standards by paying all their staff from the boatmen to the waiters good wages and taking a lot more responsibility towards them than law tells them to, something that is not at all common in the philippines- maybe that's why they're so good. And that they really do something to save this unique dive site by tackling environmental problems as starfish overpopulation for example, which again is something the majority off the other dive shops doesn't.

2  Thank debs4277
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I have just spent three weeks fun diving and undertaking a nitrox cert with TSD. This is an incredibly friendly, professional and accommodating dive outfit who I would not hesitate to thoroughly recommend. Not only do the local guides have eyes like hawks, the instructors are incredibly knowledgable and attentive, the equipment well maintained (the BCD I hired for the duration appeared brand new) and the atmosphere is warm and upbeat. There is also an excellent bar and restaurant, I ate here regularly and was never disappointed with the great food and wonderful service. Thanks guys, you made my holiday one to remember.

1  Thank Gkwaters