“After Yolanda/Hayan”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malapascua Island
AABANA Beach & Watersport Resort Malapascua
Switzerland
“After Yolanda/Hayan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We came to mike & diose roughly 6 weeks after the typhoon that left a trail of destruction also in Malapascua. Although damage can still be observed the hotel as well as the island is fully functional: dive shops and restaurants are open, there is running water, electricity (not always 24h, but always when it's dark) and a roof over the head :) We were not hindered in any activities and enjoyed a great time.

To sum up the hotel in one word: fantastic. Best value for money, really helpful and friendly staff and you feel right at home the minute you set a foot into the resort. Mike took us on a walk across the island (about 1h) and visited various dive shops with us to help us make the best choice (we settled with evolution dive center) and also showed us plenty of places to eat. He and the staff is helpful in every aspect and made our stay unforgettable. We can only recommend staying there as it is truly a marvel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank geo_matt_87

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kristiansand, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

After staying in a more expensive beach-side bungalow for a couple of nights, me and my boyfriend had to find a cheaper place due to lack of cash and ATMs on the island. We found Mike and Dioses place, and Mike offered us the Maids room at the very back of the complex for only 400peso incl breakfast. The room was very basic, but it had a small bathroom (the kind where water goes everywhere) with a curtain, a fan and mosquito-net. The bed was kinda small for 2 people, but good enough, and you cant complain about it for this price. We would have moved to the fan-rooms for another 200 peso, but they were taken.
The place is right at the end of the beach, it has a huge beach with hammocks and huts. There is no people walking past or through this place, which was the case at our previous accommodation. So no people trying to sell us things. One day there were some massage-women on the beach, but this was an advantage as it was just what we needed for a very good price.
In the morning a good pancake-breakfast was served right on the beach. Unfortunately there was only instant coffee, but nobody is perfect!
Mike seems nice and caring, I had a wound on my leg and he took it very seriously, grabbed a huge medical box, cleaned and bandaged it for me each day which I am grateful for. All healed now :)
A couple of negatives:
There is no wifi in the rooms (unless you are in one particular hut where the router is just outside), and no wifi on the beach. You literally have to sit right outside the reception building to go on the internet.
They charged us extra for one TINY extra sachet of coffee for our breakfast. I mean, we are coffee addicts so need on BIG coffee each day. We did after all not use any of the sugar or creamer they gave us....
As other reviewers said - there IS a club next door that at times plays loud music. However this is difficult to escape from all over the island, and they stopped around midnight anyway. There are also roosters - but again, they are all over the island. I woke up one morning at 7am by hammering, however I think that was the neighbours and not Mikes fault.
All in all, I do not think you can find a more beautiful place at better value than here on Malapascua!

1 Thank Torunn B
Exmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

This place has the perfect setting on beautiful Malapascua. They have their own little beach with lots of sunchairs, and tables for having breakfast or chillin` in the evening. Most the other places have only a narrow strip of beach, with a main thoroughfare. The advantage with Mike`s place is that it is at the end of the beach, so much less people bothering you and trying to sell stuff, like in the other places.
The rooms look beautiful, and reasonably priced. The fan rooms were 600. Me and my girlfriend stayed in a smaller room for 400 peso each night. That is as cheap as Malapascua gets.

The staff are as friendly as we have ever had. They are all smiling and adressing us by our names(which is really cute). Mike is jovial and fun. He even helped patch up a wound that my girlfriend hafd. Every day he would put new bandages on from his big medical box.

Breakfast was thoroughly enjoyable and really good - freshly made mango pancakes anyone ?

Room Tip: all the rooms are nice, but the cheapest is the "Maid room" for 400 peso each night. Chepe...
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Mike is just about the best host you could possibly want, he's always available for advice or just a chat, but he's never in your face. The accommodation is great, and the cottages are all individual and unique. Breakfast on the beach is just superb. If you want a chilled out experience this is the place to go, it's close enough to all the restaurants and bars on Bounty Beach, but also very tranquil and quiet. 10 out of 10 Mike, your place is the best.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Mike is a hardworking owner! He is always floating around the small property and so is available for chats, advice, trips, island history and cooking up BBQs. He makes great efforts to know all his guests personally, always remembers names and hugely contributes to the friendly laid back vibe of island.
Breakfasts are good; choice of pancakes or eggs. Although if you are in a couple, you will eat this on large communal beachside table as there is limited seating and so you are packed in! We thus ate around 8.30am to miss rush and get some space.
The location is fantastic. It is the last spot off Bounty Beach before the villages and so is away from the busy beach section, but near to Craic House- which does best food on island. Mikes' also has a huge sandy beach with loungers and awnings. As this is at the end of the tourist section of beach it is relatively private and by far the best hotel beach on east side of island. Stunning views. Swimming area however isn't substantial but you can walk 5 mins to a clearer spot.
The rooms are nice and cosy although resort seems to be in a transition period as basic rooms are being upgraded to cottages and so there is a bit of construction. Cottages are good value as you get a large terrace as well as room, bathroom and tv area. Also the lighting touches put in rooms by Mike are fantastic. great ambiance! The cottages are 50m back from beach, without view, but this does mean beach itself is nicer as there are no buildings nearby. Finally, bathrooms are fine but are a mozzie risk as we always seemed to get bitten during the evening shower!
No wifi in rooms but a wifi area near kitchen and so if you stay in budget room you will get wifi there too. Connection is fast.
Recommended. We would stay here again as its a good price, best part of beach and quiet.

Room Tip: The smallest two cottages (as these are not shared with two floors) are the best.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I would give a full rating if not for some roaches in the room that I'm staying.
I booked the nanny room aka the budget room here as I'll be diving and just needed a place to crash.
The room is totally fine, with attached toilet a simple tower rack to arrange your things and a safe.
I was given a single occupancy room with a super single bed, which could be quite small for 2 people to sleep in. It's fine as I'm travelling alone until my friend came and I have to change to a bigger room.
Upon requesting for room change, we were told that the place is fully booked! And few hours later there's someone checking out and we could have a bigger room.

We were give a room at an extended area for Mike and Diose's which is like someone's house but with 2 bathrooms. Personally I wouldn't choose this one if I have other option (because their original rooms are way nicer!). It costs us 1200php and it could fit about 4 people with all the extra matresses and pillows included in the room. It might be fun for 4 people as it could be a good budget place! It's clean and the 2 bathrooms actually is nice for us when we need to use the toilet at the same time!

While I was on the island our dive shops wifi is totally down for 5 days!! and I can only rely on Mike and Diose's wifi which was fast and working fine. Apparently they're using different service provider.

Love the pancake breakfast. It's huge for me and I could keep half for tea time later. I tried both banana and mango pancake and both are really nice.
The girls are very accomodating and nice. I was so busy diving I don't have much time to hangout with Mike but he's really nice too!

My only comment is they don't clean/make rooms daily and when you request, they still didn't clean it until I changed room. So I don't know when they actually will clean the room. It'd be really nice if they provide some broom to sweep of sands.

Room Tip: If you prefer wifi in your room, pick the first room. Or check with them which one as WiFi strength...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed there October 2012, late review but had to contribute due to the relaxing and the pleasurable experience I had. Reasonable rates for the accommodation and drinks were at local prices. Highly recommend staying here if you want a quiet, friendly and safe atmosphere/location. Mike was always there to ask about advice about things to do or places to eat.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple