“Paradise, and fantastic for families with young kids!”

Ocean Vida Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Malapascua Island
Reviewed 11 December 2011

My wife have stayed here with our 3 year old daughter Miya. This was our first vacation with her and before we were a bit worried how it would turn out. I have to say the staff and management have made it an outstanding experience.

If you like to dive and want to be sure your kids are well taken care of and safe, this is the place to go. The nanny and all the other staff were really enjoying taking care of our baby, which is really a precondition for us, to do this in the first place.

Overall, the rooms are very nice, atmosphere is chilled out and the dive center very personalized.

Great experience!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank philmg

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Ocean Vida is a new place on the strip on Malapascua Island. Let me say that the room was very spacious and spotlessly clean. The balcony overlooked the ocean and it was great to just take in the beautiful environment. The hotel itself is pretty much in the middle of ‘everything’ although, there’s not really much to see above water, as the action…and the only reason to go there is to dive (I used Sea-explorers, which was very good). Malapascua is all about thresher shark diving and there are tons of dive shops within a few steps from each other. The only thing about that is that all the boats are right there and my partner and I joked that sometimes the ocean front looked like a parking lot because of so many dive boats! BUT, you will have one heck of a view of it, though!

The only downside to the hotel was that there was hardly any water pressure at all for the shower. We were on the second floor, so maybe it was better on the ground floor? But, the downside to the ground floor is that there is constant traffic outside your door. Even with the poor water pressure, I’d take the second floor, as it’s nice and quiet. Another downside (not of this hotel, but in general) is that on Saturday night there is a ‘disco’ at one of the hotels. I promise you that you will NOT get any sleep until 3 AM. It does not matter where you are on the strip you will hear the music, as it is seriously loud and thumping. Thresher shark dives start out really early in the morning (5 AM), so you’ll likely not be in good shape the next day.
The next time I go I'll be certain to arrive on a Sunday (it's that bad!)

Overall, I would recommend Ocean Vida. We walked around and saw pretty much every place that is there, and I think OV is definitely a smart choice.

Hope this helps

Next stop: In search of whale sharks!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mapglobal2
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We stayed at Ocean Vida for five days...very clean and beautiful resort. During Fiesta time it can be quite noisy!!! They bring in speakers from CEBU and turn up the music...Other than that, you should be aware that only a few metres away the locals organise cock fights every day. Therefore, you will hear cocks all day long...Not very helpful for a relaxing atmosphere. Also worth mentioning is their rates (currently 58 EUR per day). Not very cheap for the Philippines but of course, you get something for your money (clean room, aircon etc. but no balcony!!!). In my opinion, a bit overpriced for Malapascua.

Restaurant is okay, they have a good variety of international and national dishes. The kitchen seems to be overwhelmed during dinner time, it can take up to 1-1.5 hours to get your food.

All in all, I would recommend this resort but be aware of the noise and other minor things I mentioned above!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We didn't stay here. The only reason was they don't have a pool and we were traveling with children.
However we came back ton the restaurant several times. The service was great and efficient.
The food choice was excellent and equal quality. This is one of several choices of locations to eat.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We stayed 5 days on the beautiful island of Malapascua. The Ocean Vida was a very good choice and i would defnitley stay their again! The setting is perfect with the Restaurant an the Bar just in front of the white sand Beach and the crystal blue water. We stayed at the brand new rooms in the backyard. They are very comfortable and quite. Very good beds, top hot/cold shower, new and silent AirCondition, a very useful minibar including some drinks and snacks, 3 new towls every day and good housekeeping. All in all a very good value for the price.
Breakfast is included and is served at the first floor of the restaurant where you have a very nice view to the ocean. The breakfast itself is also very satisfieing and the highlights are unlimited brewed coffe (wich is very uncommon in PI), homemade bread, and fresh cooked omletts of your choice.
The divebase is is well run and everything is in order. The guides are experienced and you feel that they like their job and employer.
The staff is one of the best an friendliest all around the Philipines. And therefor i would like to say thank you for the pleasant stay esspecialy to the owners Fabienne and Sven who run this place with heart!!! THANK YOU!! I will come back to Malapascua!!

ps: sorry for the bad english. class was long time ago, but since this is an international platform i wanted my recommendation international as well and not only for my german fellows! Für die Deutschen hier: Leute geht da hin!! Ich kann es euch wirklich nur wärmstens empfehlen!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My husband has just returned from Ocean Vida, and not having a trip advisor account he asked me to post his review - as follows:

We stayed at Ocean Vida for 5 nights at the beginning of November. The trip was organised by Regal Diving apart from flights which we organised ourselves. Our driver was waiting at Cebu airport when we arrived at 4:30am and we were driven 3 hours to the top island to get our boat to Malapascua. The drive up was comfortable in a nice air conditioned 4 x 4, which was in stark contrast to the local transport - bus, taxi and jeepneses, which looked far from comfortable. When we arrived in Patay we were greeted by half a dozen locals all vying to carry our bags and take us to a boat. It was helpful that we had a driver as he stepped in and ensured that we and our bags were taken to the correct boat. After about 40min we arrived on Malapascua beach and were warmly welcomed by the hotel staff and given a welcome drink. The hotel was surprisingly luxurious, I would say perhaps comparable to 4 star in the UK, and definitely looked one of the best, on the island. Trip advisor did not classify this as a hotel, but as a guest house. A bit odd, but I assume because it was not what you call a traditional hotel with a reception or hotel entrance. The beach is in fact the entrance and turns into a bar area in the evening when tables and cushions are put out. This is what I would call a hotel on a remote island, and from what I saw the rest of the resorts had a similar set up. I could not fault the accommodation, service or food, all were excellent. Air con was great and I would say essential (our room was actually too cold and had to turn it down). Diving was with Sea explorers which was part of the hotel. The equipment was good and well maintained and the dive guides were excellent. We had one dive guide allocated to the two of us and he did everything for us, carrying kit, set up, cleaning at the end of the dive etc. His words were “you are on holiday, just sit back and enjoy”. I read a lot of conflicting comments about Monad Shoal, a sunken island about 40mins from Malapascua where you could see, if you were lucky, thresher sharks. We dived it three times and saw sharks on two of the dives; they say there is an 80% chance of seeing them. The bottom line is it’s just your luck but they are there and if you dive in Malapascua you will see them, you might just have to dive it a few times if you are unlucky. The other issue I read was about this dive being restricted to PADI AOW. As an instructor my view would be that this is correct (and not a money making exercise for the dives operators). Not because it’s technically a difficult dive, its 22m-26m straight down a buoyed shot line followed by short swim and then kneeling or lying on the bottom and waiting to see if the sharks appear. (Unless that is you want to do something a bit more adventurous, which we also did). The problem is that it’s a square profile dive and very easy to slip into deco if you’re not on nitrox. I could also see an inexperienced diver sucking their tank dry in 10mins with the excitement or worse still shooting to the surface. This, as well as spoiling the fun for the rest, could create a real problem for the guide particularly if he is guiding a number of divers. All in all, Malapascua is a real paradise, Ocean Vida provide great diving, it’s great value and the service is fantastic.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank lovetravelling18
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed at Ocean Vida Beach and Dive Resort last September 14 for 3 nights. I arrived in the Philippines on September 9. Clearly, when I got to Malapascua, I was still struggling with jet lag. I have to say that Ocean Vida was just the perfect place for me to chill and do nothing at all! Don't get me wrong, as there's much to do and see in beautiful Malapascua. But at my age, I've decided that I don't need to do much, especially when I'm jet lagged :-).

Here's why I loved Ocean Vida:
- My room was spacious, well maintained and had that new place feel to it. It had a deck that looked out over the best piece of real estate on Bounty Beach and the Visayas Sea.
- I was quite impressed that my transfer worked like clockwork. I had to be picked up by van from the Marriott Hotel in Cebu City. The van was right there at the designated time. When we got to the port of Maya, the boat that was taking me to the island was already waiting for me. The same was true for my return to Cebu City. Best of all, when I complained about the crazy driving of the driver who picked me up from Cebu City, I got the best driver on the return trip back.
- The owners - Sven and Fabienne - and their entire staff were simply great. They all made me feel very welcomed, taken care of and entertained. As I was traveling by myself, I spent quite a bit of time hanging out their staff, including that of the dive shop. They were almost successful in tempting me to take my first dive - but I chickened out in the end!
- Their beach is just perfect for hanging out, reading a book and having a cold San Miguel beer! Although it's not facing west directly, the sunsets were still quite spectacular. I hear it's perfect for moon watching, too!

I would go back to Malapascua and perhaps take my first dive finally. And I would stay again at Ocean Vida most definitely!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
#1 of 92 in Cebu City
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island

Been to Ocean Vida Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!