“very pleased with both operations”

Ocean Vida Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Malapascua Island
Sacheon, South Korea
“very pleased with both operations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Vida for five nights and dove with the embedded Sea Explorers dive shop. I was very pleased with both operations.

First, I really liked how Sea Explorers scheduled the dives and grouped the divers to guide dives. Furthermore, the boat crews were great and made gearing up and getting back in the boat very easy. I also enjoyed the entertainment during surface intervals. Overall, the diving was decent and four dive days (two thresher dives) was sufficient for me.

I had a garden view room with air conditioning. The room was comfortable and included complimentary water, packages of coffee, tea, and a kettle. I like to get up early and have coffee before breakfast and the front porch was perfect for this activity. The room was serviced daily when I left for my dives, and plenty of both bath and beach towels were provided. There was a ceiling fan which I really liked, and wish more dive resorts had these in the rooms.

My package included breakfast and the breakfast buffet provided the common western and Asian dishes found at dive resorts (eggs, fresh fruit, bread, etc.). One thing I really liked was that they placed a thermos of hot coffee on the counter and you could help yourself. More resorts should do this, as many times at these other resorts it takes a little work to get your coffee. I was very satisfied with breakfast.

When I signed up for a boat doing two dives, they advised me to order my own lunch the night before. Again, I really liked this approach, and the restaurant had a decent selection of food for those lunches. First, I don’t like to eat a big lunch when diving, and second I’m not a big fan of those large dishes of food brought on the dive boats for everyone to dig into. I picked up my lunch in the morning on the way to the dive boat. I also ate several dinners at the restaurant and enjoyed both of them.

The open air covered bar was right on the beach, or if you preferred, they also placed bean bags on the beach. Furthermore, at night there were candle lit tables on the beach where you could enjoy dinner. For your information, I also ate two dinners at Oscars, the restaurant above Threshers Shark Divers, and enjoyed both of those dinners.

The hotel and dive staffs were very friendly and helpful, and I felt very secure staying there. I would not hesitate to again stay at the Ocean Vida and dive with Sea Explorers.

One additional comment about my garden room: there were roosters right next door and crowing could start at 02:00 AM, and it could really get going around 04:00.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pazz2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

It is difficult to know where to start , as everything about this resort and dive shop is so nice.

I had a first floor sea facing room for 7 wonderful days and nights. The rooms are spotless and extremely comfortable, with very comfy furniture on he balcony. The location overlooking the beach and the beautiful bay with dive boats coming and going all day is probably he best n the island. Breakfasts , meals , snacks and the wonderful cocktails at happy hour were all of very good quality and great value.

The very best thing is all the wonderful people who work there...., Chris and the girls in the restyarant and bar , the local dive masters Jea An , Ting , Tata, Martin and the great captain and boat crew were all fantastic company in and out of the water. I did my nitrox course with Dishely , who is a superb instructor and was ably assisted by Karin.

The fact that the thresher sharks seemed to be out in force in every single dive was just incredible. We had multiple near sightings of up to five thresher sharks per dive. One day we had two pairs showing off their synchronised swimming skills just in front of us. Other divers saw mantas , hammerheads and even a whaleshark. The rest of the diving is Ok , Gato island is nice with lots and lots of white tip sharks posing in lovely caves and crevices.

I really cannot recommend Ocean Vida highly enough , a stay there is not cheap , but it really is an extremely special place.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank ire123
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Malapascua and Ocean Vida was our first destination in the Philippines and it was absolutely amazing.

My partner and I stayed for seven nights in late January 2013. We stayed in a beach fronting room on the ground level. We loved the way the resort was incorporated into the environment, and didn't impact on the beauty of the place. The room was very spacious and comfortable, with decent amenities, particularly for the price.

The restaurant facilities were superb, with very extensive menu options given the relatively isolated location. The fantastic waitstaff were a lot of fun, and really made us feel welcome, and added a certain friendliness and familiarity to our stay.

Happy hour on the beach bean bags quickly became a regular fixture...the pure mango fruit daiquiris were to die for.

The related diving outfit run by Sea Explorers was amongst the most professional dive centre I have come across. My partner became accredited when we were there and the standards seemed to surpass Australian standards, which was very impressive.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend or return to Ocean Vida. There is such a generosity of spirit and warm hospitality. The Swiss/German owners really know how to create a generous vibe - from the lovely breakfast options, to the brillian fruit cocktails, and just little things like daily water provisions - they really had it right.

It is also perfectly acceptable to just go to Ocean Vida to relax without diving. We didnt get a sense that non-divers were treated differently. There are ample beach options around the island, too, if you feel like getting away from the main (albeit relaxed and non-Boracay like) beach.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank benatom
asia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

What a lovely place. First impression was being met off the boat by the staff and welcomed. The location of Ocean Vida is right in the centre of the beach. They have the best spot with the nicest chairs on the beach to enjoy the sunset whilst drinking a cocktail. The rooms are spacious with aircon & fan. Big beds which are comfortable, minibar, ensuite with hot shower. Large balcony overlooking the beach. Food is great with buffet breakfasts including freshly made bread every morning. Cocktails are great especially during happy hour especially the mango daiquari. The staff are very friendly and always there to help. The managers make you feel very welcome and ensure that every guest has a wonderful stay. They are also attached to Dive centre next door, sea explorers which have good facilities and great diving.

Room Tip: Choose a seaview room as the view is overlooking the beach and the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mark r
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

The Ocean Vida is just on the beach front, nice view and great atmosphere. Sun loungers, hammocks and nice chilling area at the beach in front of the bar/diving centre. The rooms are very nice, clean and have always hot water. The room was equipped with an AC. All staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. The bar is a great place to meet people after relaxing for the day or diving and had a very friendly atmosphere. The mango daiquiri is a must. In the bar and restaurant area they have very fast internet for free. On the first floor there is an open air restaurant with a good choice of food, daily menu of very good quality and serving a very nice breakfast with fresh fruits. The hotel is the right place to stay and enjoy some great dives with Sea Explorers to some astonishing places and spotting the Thresher Sharks. We'll definitely be coming back although it’s a long way from Switzerland

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PunchBasel
Taichung, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2012

It's really impressive the level of comfort and cleanliness this resort pulls off, especially when you consider how small the island and how limited are the resources. Restaurant is very competent and breakfast (Swiss style) especially good. The beach bar is great, ambiance overall very good. Service is well organized and as friendly as you'd expect on a small island in the area.
We stayed in both ocean and garden rooms (since the resort was so heavily booked). Both were spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. I've paid less money per night on small islands in the Philippines but I've paid a lot more for vastly inferior rooms in other resorts in Asia. All the other resorts on the beach had vacancy signs up while Ocean Vida was almost solidly occupied the whole week we were there. What does that tell you?

I'd say the resort is more geared to couples than families or singles but neither should feel out of place. The embedded dive shop Sea Explorers is also excellent and makes the Ocean Vida top choice in my opinion if you're coming for the diving, as we were.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are the quietest if the disco isn't in operation (it's seasonal). First floor o...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wingstaiwan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

This was a return visit to the hotel, and must say that my high expectation was not meet!
The hotel has a unique location on bounty beach, and recently opened (3 years) the standard are fine.
But: the house keeping seems like they rather watch a basket game on tv or go to night disco, rather than do a proper cleaning every day. And why is it we had to ask every day for the towels and amnities complementary to the room! Now when house keeping finally did clean, they dont use any disinfecting or sanitary means to clean, other than a dust mop...
Also the room have a constant moist enviroment, the pillows almost absorbs the humidity and the A/C cant dry up the room.

The restaurant is good, great view and cozy choise of beach chairs or sit upstairs. Well dont sit upstairs, the female waiters thinks it's a teenage party and there are almost a constant chatting, rather annoying!
For the breakfast buffet, stay away, it is so unhygienic, birds sitting in the bread basket, flies all over and the staff very unattentative to this and refilling the buffet, even with new plates, so again we had to ask daily for these!

Now poor cleaning, moist rooms and a not so hygenic restaurant and bar, mixed with a local enviroment of constant flu virus, left us both ill. From my first visit I was also ill, but figured it as bad luck, this time I noticed why. Both times it was explained that "there is a virus on the Island at the moment" well it seem's that it is rather permanent and at this prize the hotel should be more aware of keeping an excellent cleaning procedure!!!

Now if you do decide to stay here and pay a fortune, you can enjoy a very friendly management and staff, always ready to get the towels, toiletpaper, soap etc that you surely will need!

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Webway74
oceanvida, Owner at Ocean Vida Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, 23 December 2012
Dear all,
As well as the excellent feedback we usually get, we always appreciate hearing from anyone who was not totally happy so we can improve our service.
Almost all customers which visited us the last years here in Malapascua left with a special memory about a beautiful island with lovely and friendly locals.
I want to mention a few things about the above review. We know that it is hard if you travel far away and then be sick with a flu. The guest girlfriend spent some 3 days locked away in the room because she was to sick to leave. They did refuse these days a cleaning service in the room by the housekeeping staff but ask for a broom to clean by themselves.
Considering the above mention complain regarding breakfast it is true that we do serve breakfast from 7.30am-10am and some days Thomas and girlfriend came at 10.30am and the staff left the buffet open just for them. It is true that the Philippine people and also waitresses are not the quietest people but they have always a smile in their faces and are happy and proud that you visit their country. To say they are acting like in a teenage party while working might be your impression but to be honest almost all people enjoy a bit happiness and a smile from a waitress, a bit different then in Europe I agree but one of so many reasons why people visit the Philippines.
Last thing I want to mention is that I was sad to read it here that the once happy customer left unsatisfied and that we almost talked on a daily basis and ask him many times if he enjoying his stay and the reply always was “Yes everything great”

Last thing about the Flu, we live here over 8 years now and we had the flu two times.

For all customers who did not experience Ocean Vida, Malapascua and the Philippines please read some other reviews on the internet and you will find out soon that the view of the couple is a very isolated view.

Have a great Holiday and Merry Christmas from Malapascua

#5 of 13 in Malapascua Island
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island

Been to Ocean Vida Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!