“Magic place on a magic Island”

and 1 more site!
Purple Snapper Dive Resort
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Purple snapper is a magic place, with a social sharm, nice food, cool people who take the time to get to know you personally, clean. And all at a backpackers price ticket. It's 80 m away from the beach and beachbars, close to the local shops and restaurants. Above all this the diving is great!
(not so expensive as at the beach located dive shops)

As you can see .. only good things. Very suitable as well for people travelling alone like me.

It's one of the resort that can count on me visiting them again :).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Purple Snapper Dive Resort

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We enjoyed every minute of our Malapascua vacation with so much activities such as island hopping, snorkeling, diving and simply hanging out in Purple snapper most of the time and we also made a lot of fun new friends in this place . They have mid size pool at the back, mini bar and table tennis which are perfect to spend time with friends. We took the AC room with a king size and queen. It's clean, affordable and comfortable. Their foods are good but a bit pricey so we always eat at nearby cheaper restaurants. Overall experience is very good. The owner is very helpful, the diving instructors and staffs are very friendly which made us all feel welcome and at home.
And the birthday chocolate cake is heaven! Thanks to the chef who rush back from city to the island to finish my surprise birthday cake! :) I will surely come back and bring friends over again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Purple snapper was ideal for what we wanted - a backpacker vibe but with a few more comforts. We got an A/C room with hot water.

The hot water was intermittent going from cold to scolding and nothing in between, it was easier to just have it cold to be honest so don't expect a nice luxury hot shower but the flow is not so strong so it is not too cold to bear.

The A/C was great but does trip out when there are power outages during the night so we had to get up to put it back on. Also, its quite high up to control, I had to climb the shelves to reach it but men will have no problem with it - this is the same with the fan too. The room did not get too hot during the day so the fan rooms are probably OK.

Room was clean, not absolutely spotless but clean enough for me. There were a few mozzies about (not loads) so buy in some mosquito coils and be careful opening the door with the lights on.

Staff were very attentive throughout our stay. The owner organising us a private transfer from Cebu Airport as we did not want to spend a night waiting to get to Malapascua. We got a very reasonable price and it all went very smoothly. The private boat journey was magical with the stars all out and the phosphofluorescent plankton in the sea!

Food in the restaurant was good, not amazing but as good as anywhere else we ate on Malapascua. Breakfast is included but most options are very stodgy (fried breakfast, waffles, pancakes, etc), some cereal as an option would have been better for me personally.

The pool was a rare luxury for me which was nice and warm. You can lie on the slightly submerged walls around the shallow end so you can sunbathe in the water and keep cool. Just about big enough (definitely deep enough) for a bit of a swim about but you can't really do lengths in it. Its in the sun till about 3pm when the trees partially block it.

Diving with the dive company at the resort was fantastic and the instructors and divemasters were very professional. I went to Monad Shoal to see the Thresher sharks and then did 2 dives at Gato Island which was stunning! The Monad Shoal dive was just the 2 of us and the Gato Island dives had 1 other diver so not busy at all and lots of space on the boat for relaxing and kitting up.

The island itself is stunning and the locals are mostly very friendly although also very poor. There is quite a lot of boats on Bounty Beach due to all the diving going on but that is to be expected I suppose.

Room Tip: To save on costs try to get a fan room that gets decent shade.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claramon
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed in Purple Snapper with my 11 other friends and got 3 rooms for reservation. I find the resort very accommodating and comfortable to stay with. The people are easy to going, no curfews, unlimited amenities and unique. Although, we are unlucky enough with my room partners because we had no idea that the room we have selected has quietly more mosquitoes going inside the room during the night so we need to find a ways to make them terminated and that's why we came up of having it smoke mosquito killer and turning the fan on which is I think was very effective. One of the fun things that I really like is also their mini pool bar which we even took their permission to operate a sound system so we could make a mini disco on our own. We even do the drinking session and acoustic session on the mini pool bar which is fun because no one will bother you about what's going on. We are just having fun and no other fishy things going so the owner will just make you comfortable on what you do. A walk-in distance to the front beach is also a plus.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and i stayed here for 6 days in a room looking on to the pool. The room itself was nice and would be cleaned if requested and there were a couple of loungers by the pool for sunbathing-nice to have the pool as Bounty Beach wasnt as nice as i had hoped, lots of boats.

We got breakfast with the room which was ok but always a challenge ordering in the restaurant as the staff speak and understand little english and even when pointing at what you want they look at the menu as if they've never seen it before. Food wasn't great here and very overpriced. Also avoid the syrupy cocktails, you can find real cocktails at the beach or on the floating bar.

The main problem we had here was my boyfriends diving. It was disorganised and he tried 3 times to go on the thresher shark dive only actually achieving it once but even then they were in the water late which messed up the dive. They did offer a half price dive the following day so my boyfriend got up for the third time at 4am only for it to be cancelled as the boat didnt show up. Very unprofessional. One cancellation, ok, these things happen, but 2! Plenty of other dive companies on the island who have their act together.

Overall, decent place to stay, bit expensive but the whole island seems to be just be wary of the diving situation.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Fionajane23
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed in Purple Snapper spontaneously for 5 days.

I really liked the atmosphere - easy and relaxed. The people were very easy going (or we were lucky) - grabbing a beer and chatting all together in the evening, we loved the community feeling in the place.

Another thing I really appreciate - the design of the resort - not too fancy, but with the style - simple, cozy, and more authentic feeling. Sandy floor, heavy wooden table, nice lightening in the bar, "hidden" iMac - you notice that it was thought about the details.
The little rooms were well designed, clean and well yes, basic - but HELLO People - that's what this place is about!!!! It's not a fancy resort, however if you want an authentic feeling - this is the place.

The breakfast were great - every choice was really delicious and portions are big (at least for me... american style). The mushroom burger was great too - a Must. However it's true that place lacks choice of food (especially fish and vegetarian), or better - a daily offer, as I don't trust in long menus.

However it was not a problem for us - there are plenty of good dining options just around the corner, so usually for dinner we went out.

Unfortunately I can't comment the diving as I don't dive.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2013

1. Resort: Nice, clean rooms but pretty basic. You get what you pay for and its a good cheap option on the island. Its right in the middle of the village. I really enjoyed it because its something unique compare to all the other resorts at the beach front. Only the roosters making a noise nearly all night long wants to make you turn from a vegetarian into a meat eating person again :)

2. Diving: Well, this place could be a lot more passionate about their job. You barely get the dive guides talking about the dive sites and the marine life. Every day you have to pull the information where they go diving the next day out of their nose, which made me stop diving because it didnt seem appealing to me.

Safety is an issue with those guys. On my first dive the lost my gear I had already checked up on. It took us a while to find out that another girl was wearing my gear. I wanted to make a safety check up again but got told just to put it on and jump into the water. Well, that can happen but on the same dive the lost another persons gear and they had to swap it over already being in the water.
Cant be that hard to put numbers on each BCD, matching to your gear box, to make sure which gear belongs to a diver!
On my third dive the forgot my booties and I had to dive in a bigger size, which wasnt very pleasant.
The briefing is more than average, no description of the dive site that you can have some sort of orientation under water.
None of the dive guides seem to have a great experience of diving somewhere else, which makes me wonder where do they get their experience from.

No one seems really interested to sit down with you after the dive to go through some fish books or have a chat about what you saw in the water, which I think is quite interesting and important especially for beginners.

If you only need a guide thats the place to be but if you are interested in the marine life and the island you are better of somewhere else!
On the good side they are very environmental friendly place but I am not sure if thats the dive guides choice or the company true believes.

Malapascua is a great tiny little island and the locals are super friendly and helpful. Its so worth a visit but Purple Snapper is lacking a lot of passion for the industry they are working in!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo