Purple Snapper Dive Resort
Malapascua Legend(Malapascua Island)
US$69
  • Breakfast included
Thresher Cove Dive Resort(Malapascua Island)(Great Value!)
US$62
  • Pool
US$84
US$81
Moonlight Resort(Malapascua Island)
US$20
US$17
  • Restaurant
Blue Corals Beach Resort(Malapascua Island)
US$40
US$32
  • Beachfront
Slam's Garden Resort(Malapascua Island)(Great Value!)
US$28
US$23
  • Bar/Lounge
Tepanee Beach Resort(Malapascua Island)
US$67
US$63
US$78
US$48
  • Beachfront
Hippocampus Beach Resort(Malapascua Island)
US$34
US$32
  • Breakfast included
Buena Vida Resort & Spa(Malapascua Island)
US$112
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsswimming poolthe ownerac roomthresher sharkscheap priceholy weekcebu airportbudgettaildivekarolinakasfanphilippinesresortislandboat
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Before we arrived at Malapascua Island, me and my friend looked up for an affordable place to stay since we know that we'll be staying more outside (beach, island hopping, snorkeling) than inside a resort. And we found one. We took the backpackers room, which was really affordable (around 800 Php) - made out of nipa, a fan (which is fine because its a bit cold in the evening) and 2 bunk beds - that means 4 people can stay. But just hope that people in the other rooms are not that noisy.
The service is great, staff are very accommodating. The location for us was not of an issue, eventhough it's not by the beach, but its just a few walks away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2013

After reading about the fantastic diving in Malapascua, my Dad and I decided to spontaneously go up there from Mactan Island. Unfortunately, we weren't going to be able to get to the resort until late at night and the transit boats from Cebu island and Malapascua island would not run.

HOWEVER, after calling the Purple Snapper Resort and discussing the dive prices, hotel packages and transportation arrangements at length over really poor reception, the Purple Snapper Resort arranged special transportation, a hotel package and a dive package within a couple hours of notice. It was incredibly good of the Purple Snapper Resort to try so hard to accommodate us and they did it superbly. The transport was waiting, the hotel was perfect and cheap, the dive supervisors were great and best of all the diving at Malapascua lived up to its reputation.

Although the resort is not on the beach, the rooms are very comfortable, the bar and restaurant are simple but serve good food and the area is really enjoyable.

Diving in Malapascua: During the morning shark dive at 4.30 am (3 hours after I arrived), I saw 3 fantastic Thresher Sharks at the famous Thresher Shark dive site off of Malapascua. Later that day, I saw whitetip reef sharks, fantastic coral, sting rays, sea snakes (harmless) and eels at Gato Island.

The trip to Malapascua and in particular the diving was fantastic! The journey from Mactan was in total about 3.5 hours long each way and the Purple Snappers accommodation and tenacious effort made the whole trip possible and extremely enjoyable.

Room Tip: The best rooms are incredibly cheap so go for them!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights last August. This is not by the beach, you have to walk about 2-3 minutes to get to the beachfront. Overall had a pleasant time. Only complaint I can think of is that they had a lot of food unavailable on their menu when we were there. So some of us (myself included) decided to eat elsewhere during the rest of our stay, having only breakfast in the resort in addition to our first night's dinner there. I had their best-selling burger...which was not bad, nothing to really rave about either.
They have a pool in the premises, but it was under maintenance during our stay so we weren't able to use it.
Got the AC room for the 3 of us. There was a double bed and mattress laid out on the floor. Pretty basic amenities, they give a thin bath towel per guest. And shampoo and soap. Water had a funky smell to it and was salty, which i've heard is also the case with some other accomodations in the island.there's a shelf outside the bathroom door for u to place ur belongings and outside the room is a small porch where u can hangout as well as hang clothes to dry.
Staff were nice and friendly enough, no complaints on that.
Restaurant/bar is a good place to hang out. We were there during low season so not much activity going on. Don't come to the island expecting a party atmosphere. It's generally laidback and has a chill vibe.
They have backpacker rooms if you're really on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We went there on June 2, 2013. There were 4 of us in our group. the owner arranged our pickup from Maya port after a long road travel from Cebu City. Here are some of the outstanding things I observed when we arrived:
1.) The owners are very accommodating and welcoming but not intrusive (I really like that)
2.) It was my buddy's birthday and I requested for a birthday cake to be served around lunch time and I must say, they have the moistest, chocolatiest, best Devil Food Cake I've ever had (it was such a treat!) I also heard from other tourists and foreingners who frequent the place that the Mango Walnut Cake that they serve is to DIE FOR. (yum!)
3.) They have the latest gears and equipment for diving PLUS they have the most able-bodied, witty and smart divers in their lot. The rates are also competetive and they go out of their way to accommodate your diving requests.
4.) They have a pool! So dive trainings weren't much of a hassle.
5.) The rooms are not crowded in together, they have a koi pond, the surroundings are very peaceful and secure. Thumbs-up for this, since the resort is not a beachfront resor.
6.) GREAT PRICES. The rooms are modest ( we stayed in a backpackers deluxe room) very homey and relaxing. I must say, I slept like a baby in our 2 nights of stay there.
7.) They have a pool table and ping-pong table if you're not really much of a beach bum.
8.) They claim they have the best burgers, they have every right to do so. In fact, ALL THE ITEMS in their MENU IS ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. Their chef really knows how to create tempting dishes for everyone.
9.) The owner even accompanied us and brought us to a very beautiful snorkelling spot.
10.) We're not really expecting anything but we are very satisfied with the service and the accommodations, very much worth our money.

We Will Definitely Go Back :D :D :D

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

The room I got was for backpackers - P800/night. It was a cute nipa hut, had a wall fan, no t&b, big bed, just 1 window. I like the resort because its very "native" plus it has a swimming pool, billboards table (free use) and free brekky with unlimited coffee and juice! But what I didn't like about is that the common CR wasn't cleaned regularly. And I didn't find a broom inside my nipa hut. Broom is necessary for keeping your hut clean and free from sand, right? And you couldn't find hotel staff anytime you needed them. I don't know why :(
You had to walk I think less than 10mins to get to bounty beach because this isn't beach front.
They offer diving lessons but I didn't try. Thought its expensive
Haha! Ü
You can stay here for practical reasons but don't expect 5star services. You get what you paid for. Okay for just 1 night.

• Stayed: May 2013