All reviewsboat stationleft cornerbreakfast was includedair contop floorfan roomfirst floorlocation is greatdeluxe roomsroom numberkalanggaman islandsmall islandbig balconydefinitely stay here againenjoyed my staycleaned dailysunset
Reviewed 29 April 2012

If you're here for diving this is great option. Huge rooms and massive balconies for a very good price. There are cheaper places but they are very uncomfortable and for a few pennies more this place is well worth it.

There are also much nicer places but there is huge difference in price. This is a mid range hotel for a budget price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Poi_dr
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Blue Corals is a pretty decent bet if you're on a budget or watching your pesos. I got a twin room with fan for 1500 pesos and I found this good value for Malapascua. I arrived at 10pm onto the island so my options were limited. Blue Corals had some rooms so myself and my friends took them. The views from our room were breathtaking and the free breakfast was fine. The hotel was overstaffed with Tourism students on work experience. These guys don't get paid a single peso for working there as it's work experience and I'm guessing that the managment take advantage of this. Like any business, treat your staff badly and they will be unhappy workers but the work experience students were helpful and friendly to me. In fact, I quite enjoyed joking and talking with the staff. I would definitely recommend this place if you're on a budget and I would stay here again if I come back. The rooms were spotless and I felt safe leaving my belongings in the room.....always the most important aspect for me.

Room Tip: Make sure u have a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rob B
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and satisfactory accomidations. The view from our balcony could not have been any better. Falling asleep to the sounds of the ocean only added to enhance the experience. Early morning breakfast in the shade on the dining balcony was delightful as we watched the island awaken each morning. I arrived with fear of the unknown but left with a strong desire to return. A great place to relax and de-stress.
Potential improvements would include more storage / closet space and perhaps add beach recliners that have movable backs (sitting and lying positions) to allow for reading or lounging.

Room Tip: Room s with aircon and balcony on the western side offered great ocean view with the added bonus of sunset.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elliot C
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Blue Corals is located at the far end of Bounty Beach and an easy walk from the ferry drop off point. Given the location and views, this place could be FABULOUS – but there are deep flaws (some can be easily fixed, some not so easy...) that could not be glossed over. After 1 night, we would have swapped except due to the Chinese New Years holiday we were unable to find a better alternate available for the full week.

On the good side: There are stunning views from the rooms in the main building with balcony (sunrise for some, sunset for others). Our room was large and spacious with a great open balcony and a nice ocean breeze (very basic – no TV or fridge, but fine for us). The hotel bar was a picture-perfect location to watch the sunset. The owner and her sister were very helpful and pleasant and went out of their way to help with any questions. The general maintenance guy who took us snorkeling (800 pesos) was very sweet and helpful. There is a paperback book swap in the lobby.

Hummm… Those are the only good things I can think of to say… the rest was not good :-(

First: the staff (a clique of young girls) in both the bar and the breakfast area were alternately mean spirited and rude or “fake-friendly.” I felt like we were being served by a bunch of cranky, passive-aggressive teenagers. It’s been a while since I have seen that much eye rolling and pained expressions. A good staff enables you to overlook many things. A bad staff just makes those little things seem so much bigger. More detail and specific examples below…

Second: the beach area itself was terrible, all coral and rocks (no soft sand). The water was too shallow for swimming. The area was a mess with a big pit dug for excavating some sand for construction and to bury trash. Just outside the hotel grounds, the area was littered with trash and litter – not pretty. (But the other end of Bounty Beach was much better!)

Third: the bar is a GREAT location for sunset with a long happy hour (4-7PM) but not many people and it’s easy to figure out why: (1) the staff was horrible, (2) the drinks were not very good, and (3) no food available. Our first night, we went to the check out the bar at @5PM. We were literally the only customers there with a staff of 3 behind the counter. We ordered a glass of white wine and asked what draft beer was available. The girl giggled and laughed at us (in a mocking tone that was very bizarre). We asked her what was so funny and she ran off laughing with no explanation. Instead another girl came over and we started again. Turned out there was no draft beer at all and wine is not sold by the glass – by the bottle only, and not chilled. When we asked for a snack menu, this was responded to by rolling eyes and more mocking laughter – nope, no food either. So, I ordered a gin & tonic (rather weak) and my husband got a bottled beer. The crowd picked up for the sunset, then dispersed quickly. We did give it one more try and this time the girls were much more friendly, until I noticed them rolling eyes and exchanging looks behind our backs like school children making fun of the teachers. Not a pleasant experience. We did not go back. If you are going to be “fake-friendly,” you need to be sure you are not caught.

Fourth: The “fan” bedrooms REALLY need mosquito netting over the beds for the evening. Every night we would need to close the balcony door (so lost the nice breeze) and I still ended up with bug bites.

Last, breakfast was ok, usually hot and served relatively quickly (though often a tad greasy). Again, the key challenge was the serving staff: no smiles, no welcome – just pained expressions and grudging attention. English skills were marginal: we asked for jam with the toast and it was clear she did not know what we meant. Instead of getting help, the request was ignored (which seemed to be a common way of dealing with a number of requests – ignore it). We always tried to smile and be pleasant, but the staff was usually grumpy and for our last morning the waitress mumbled something under her breath in her language in a very rude tone. I asked her to explain what she had said (with a tone as well and tried to repeat her words) but she ran off nervously. I seriously think she was swearing at us! It was so BIZARRE! As I think about it, maybe she was insulted we did not leave a tip. LOL! If that was the case, I think she needs to understand tips are EARNED.

There was even more, but you get the drift... Blue Corals has some good things, but in balance there are many much better options on the island.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel :-)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kmcoyle
Reviewed 9 April 2011

We had not booked anywhere on the Island and just showed up. We found a cafe and left our gear there and went on a hotel hunt. The best value was the blue corals and nothing was to much trouble for the staff. There were nicer places on the island if you want to pay five star prices but as far as i am concerned this will be the best you will find for the money

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family