“International hotelier's brief review. not acceptable standards”

Blue Corals Beach Resort
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Am not surprised in noting that this resort is ranked 7th out of 7 especially as the management don't appear to have taken note of other comments and concerns, nor do they take the opportunity as offered, by TripAdvisor, in responding.
An earlier comment about 'company outings' was identical to my own. One must assume that such outings are highly discounted but for the more discerning traveller - paying a high price for a second rate product does not encourage return visits nor recommendations when such groups literally take over the resort causing disruption, extreme noise coupled with the blaring music until late in the evening. I would give this resort just another couple of years in existance before they are out ofbusiness. Like another reviewer, we had to request that the music be toned down.
As expected in the Philippines, the employees are very pleasant and accommodating, but there is a clear need for customer service and product training to be carried out.
The biggest concern we faced was the abundance of flies in the restaurant area. Had they put up netting, this would have reduced the infestation, but alas, each mouthful of a very bland meal was a risk of consuming the added protein. I think I would have been horrified to have seen the kitchens......
Although the overall amentities are averagely good, the total lack of attention to detail by the employees has a lot to be desired especially the disgusting state of the showers. Any fool can criticise and I would love to be positive, but as the owners, whom I found out are joint Korean/Filipino - don't appear to recognise nor accept guest comments, then it would be wasting readers time in identifying further concerns. We did whilst staying at the resort inspect others nearby and found them to be much better value - as the Blue Coral was overly expensive for what was on offer.
Unfortunately I was a guest of a family staying at the resort - otherwise I would have carried out my own research in advance on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank brianworth
Vivian U, Owner at Blue Corals Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Mr Worth, I am sorry that your stay was not in accordance with your expectations.

We try to make each guest's stay as comfortable as possible. If guests are loud, we take measures to minimise disturbance of other guests. If this did not work during your stay, I apologise.

Flies can unfortunately sometimes be a problem on the whole island. Our restaurant is semi open space which makes it nice and breezy, yet not possible to close off. I do think however that you exaggerate the problem a bit if you suggest that there was a risk of getting them in your mouth.

I am sorry you didn't ask for a tour of our kitchen as it actually meets the highest standard of hygiene. As other reviewers have also commented, our rooms are also very clean. Something must have gone wrong with your room if your experience was that it was not fully clean. I am sorry about that.

The hotel is, by the way, not under Korean but under German ownership.

Again my apologies that you didn't enjoy your stay. We would be happy to have you back at our resort to show you that your experience was exceptional.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Beautiful location with amazing views along the beach. Staff member we met very helpful and friendly. Nice lounge, bar and reception area all close together. Rooms we looked at (fan and aircon were ok). Has a bar outside overlooking the sea but no bar person and no drinks ( completely empty).Bar area was covered by a roof but the loungers and seats for the guests had no shaded area so you would cook in the sun. Has great potential but badly needs a paint job and upgrade.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This is a budget stay, close to the Dive Centres of Malapascua, we dived with Thresher Shark Divers.
Location perfect, for a nice sunset and sunrise viewing, and of course very close to the Dive shop and a short stroll to the Village of Malapascua, but also away from the busy end of the beach.
The accommodation is basic, but clean, an excellent breakfast is included in the cost.
Our room was air conditioned and had a fan as well

Room Tip: An upper floor facing the east, catches the sunrise and the breeze. The western side is hotter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndrewH161
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We chose this hotel due to the reviews on the sunset view and it was worth it! Staff very "relaxed" but were always available to help whenever we had a request. Nice breakfast too. We had a deluxe room with a sunset view and we spent every evening on the small terrace watching th sunset or stars. Sonia will email you if you contact her and she recommended us to book directly from her as she can give a discount. They love their music and start to play it early in the morning but we were normally up early to go diving and weren't bothered. Bring earplugs if you want to sleep in or ask for an upper floor room. Rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels provided. No amenities provided.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sodapopitaly
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed at the Blue Corals Malapascua with a couple of friends on a Scuba holiday. The hotel has a good position on the Island but is slightly spoilt by the bright blue paintwork contrasting with the tropical island foliage. The rooms a very large with 2 king size beds, great if you are taking your extended Filipino family on holiday but a little expensive for singles. The rooms and hotel are clean and tidy, food is OK but not brilliant, the staff and manageress were kind and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank adyver
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Three of us stayed here during Chinese New Year Week. The room was big enough for three people and had a good view of the beach. There were many good breakfast options and the front desk offered to set up tours for the non-divers of our group. The location at the end of the beach is a good one and this place has amazing potential. However, I felt that there were some issues. I thought the price paid for the room was only average as it did not include air conditioning. Many other places include it for the same price. Also, the staff is very friendly but lack professionalism. It seems that they use the lobby as a family room where they relax or play with their children. Also, the bar is disappointing. It has great views, but the drinks are never quite right and the music doesn't fit the mood of the place. There is also another smaller balcony off the end of the hallway. This could be a great place to relax if it had some chairs and tables or padded benches. Instead, it is empty except for some clothes hung out to dry. If I had the choice to stay at another beach front property, I would probably try it out. However, Blue Corals is a decent choice if for no other reason than the location.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was my third trip to Malapascua, the first stay was at Logon Beach Resort, the second was at Tepanee and this trip was at Blue Corals. I was disappointed with the service (they never cleaned the room and I was there for 4 nights), the staff sits in the lobby and watches TV. I did not even know the room came with breakfast until the last day. The hot water did not work but the maintenance man fixed the shower within an hour. I stopped by their bar at happy hour and after the first warm beer - I left!
The hotel location is convenient and right by the dive shop.

Room Tip: Ask for a water front room
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear SingaporeDiane,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Allow me to clarify a few points.

Our staff thoroughly cleans every room on a daily basis, unless the guests indicate otherwise. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding in your case, for which I apologise, but if you had indicated your issue at the front desk we would have taken care of it immediately.

Breakfast is indeed included in all our rates and we believe that this is clearly indicated - indeed our guests very much appreciate our wide breakfast selection! I am sorry if you missed out on the first days of your stay. Hopefully you'll be back one day to enjoy our breakfast and the rest of our facilities. The first COLD beer is on me!