“Great budget location, very clean rooms, great customer service”

Blue Corals Beach Resort
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My partner and I stayed in Blue Corals in febuary for two nights. Vivian was lovely and was most helpful. She put us on the top floor corner room with great view and a lovely sea breeze. The room was cleaned daily and our breakfast was served promptly and there were fine choices. We chose to dive with dive society so our walk was 1 minute to our dive shop. Yes, you can choose to dive somewhere further away but why then complain abot your walk like another reviewer did?

The island was hit very hard by typhoon Yolanda and it is amazing what this hotel as the whole island has done to recover and still offer an incredible dive and communty experience. This community really needs tourism more then ever and the diving was still ery special.

This hotel was beyond our expectations for a budget hotel. Thank you Vivian for making us feel at home.

melanie and david

Room Tip: Choose the top floor corner room over looking the beach
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moregore1

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I did a lot of research before going to Malapascua for Thresher diving and decided to stay here because of what appeared to be good value and availability. My stay included some days during the Chinese New Year...this is THE most busy time on the island during the year. The Blue Corals was one of only a few spots I could find with availability....I found out way. The place is a joke...

They offer "bungalow" rooms as well as main building rooms. The bungalows are advertised as "on the beach." They are NOT on the beach. They ARE at ground level but set across from the main foot road and down a local alley. They are basically motel rooms, not individual units. They are fronted by a grass area that the hotel uses to hang out all of the hotel laundry sheets, towels etc. I was shown to my "bungalow" in the back and felt like I was being put in a dog house with a view of only laundry to see. There is no sea view from these units as they either face the laundry area with a rock wall behind or a brick wall in front.

I asked the female, Filipino owner for a different room and was offered an AC Deluxe room in the main building. This room was nice enough with two beds and a balcony overlooking a rocky bay at the side of the hotel. What I discovered later was that the whole place seems to be in bad repair and the service staff don't seem to have a clue about what they are doing.

As a solo dive instructor, I’m accustomed to being comfortable staying just about anywhere with all different types of service. This place was special in their unpreparedness for guests. Some of the rooms come with an included breakfast. They have a small area in the hotel with tables and chairs for breakfast guests. Breakfast is a set menu of a few combinations that you can pick from. Pork and fried eggs or a pancake or some fruit and cereal. Even with a set menu the staff could not seem to get it together enough to deliver the right meals to guests or to deliver them at all. After waiting an hour for some eggs, I finally just gave up and left since I had scheduled dives to do. They did bring me a coffee after I got up and malked around back to ask a waitress. It was a glass of warm water and a packet of Nescafe. Good enough though. The owner apologized to me by explaining that they had too many Chinese people they were dealing with (my visit was during the busy Chinese New Year holiday). The food never did come. They failed to serve breakfast, they didn't have change for basic payments to refill water bottles, they did not clean the room for me and they did not have cold water available for sale. These are just a few of the oddities of the Blue Corals hotel.

The hotel is owned by a Filipino lady and her German husband (foreigners cannot own property in the Philippines...they must marry a local who can own). There was no efficiency or order that you'd expect that a German partner might have on the operation.

The hotel does not offer any in-house dive shop...so it's just a place to sleep...and maybe get something to eat if you're lucky. You have to walk down the island to get to your dive shop of choice. The two main dive shops are Evolution and Exotic. Both of these are a 15 minute walks from the hotel and are located on the opposite side of the island. This gets to be a real pain if you are doing multiple dives a day. If you do three dives, then you have to walk a total of an hour and a half during the day to get to and from your room if you want to freshen up after each dive. Thresher Shark Divers is closer...maybe 8 minutes away, but they have become a less popular and credible dive operation after sinking two of their boats in a recent storm because they didn't secure their boats like every other dive shop on the island.

The hotel itself is well in need of maintenance and repair. Storms hit the island all of the time. I've uploaded several photos showing the disrepair of the place. You can't even go up to the roof to find a quiet place to look out over the sea because even that is used to do their laundry.

You don't go to Malapascua expecting a fancy hotel. Just a comfortable bed with some reasonable food in a safe environment. Blue Corals can't seem to even deliver on those basics. I ended up leaving and moving over to the Evolution hotel even though I had paid in advance with Blue Corals and still had paid nights available. They refuse all refunds of course so I just chalked it up as a loss and just left in order to salvage the remainder of my trip. It was totally the right decision to make because the service and comfort at Evolution for even better value was amazing!

If you want to enjoy your diving trip to this tiny island and take in the magical experience of the Threshers, then do yourself a favor and avoid this place at all costs. Save up your pennies if you have to (even though you probably won't need to) and find a better spot that can actually handle guests and provide a relaxing, fun vacation. Places like Evolution and Exotic are one-stop shops that have rooms, restaurants and dive shops all in one place. They have their stuff together. This saves you time and energy. You can do your 5:30am shark dives, go back to your room afterwards for a nap and clean up, have some breakfast and chill out. Blue Corals can't offer any of that at any price.

Room Tip: NOT a "bungalow"...they are NOT on the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank ColorX
Vivian U, Inhaber at Blue Corals Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Good morning Mr. Fox, We sincerely apologize to have serious lacking during your stay. We do accept that we made a lot of lapses in terms of our service. Blue Corals Beach Resort is still on process of recovery, it includes constructions to many parts of the hotel. Just like the pictures that you have posted. That means we can not really give the full service like before but still we are trying our best to satisfy every needs of our costumers. There were costumers who really understand our part. Though its not perfect as it is but they were satisfied for what we have offered.
Regarding to your breakfast we sincerely apologize again. It was indeed a lot of costumers for it was a busy days. At that time we were really trying to accommodate all of our costumers including you. But as just like any normal hotel we made mistakes.
We also apologize for hanging our laundry in front of our bungalow duplex rooms. The weather on that week was really bad and we are not able to wash them one at a time. And we just used our last reserve linens and towels during your stay not only in your room but also in others. .Our rooms in bungalow is not that bad, actually you did not stay in there and we let you accommodate in our main building rooms for you to be satisfied for we still have one available room and we gave it to you. Bungalow Duplex Rooms are just 10 meters away from the beach. All our guest who stayed in there are very happy. Not just because our rooms are nice but they find serinity during their stay.
We are grateful that you made your comment in order for us to do better next time. Thank You so much.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Amazing location, spacious rooms! We had an amazing view of the sea from our first floor balcony. Clean, basic rooms, but with everything you may need. Staff very friendly and helpful. Close to our dive centre.....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Last year we stayed at Log On but this year decided to try the Blue Coral as the price included breakfast. The location is ideal for diving from Thresher Shark divers. Breakfast is very good with a wide choice. We had a fan room with a very large balcony which was excellent. We didn't need air con which is good as it sometimes affects our ears when diving the next day. It was lovely to sit on the balcony and watch activities on the beach or boats coming and going etc. Very large comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Recommended.

Room Tip: The large fan rooms with balcony are great. Nice to sit and relax. Bar not open until November but...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I thought this posted a long time ago, but... The resort was a really great place to stay. They're perfectly situated at the corner of the island, so there's access to three great beach points, and you get a fantastic sunrise and sunset. The staff was friendly, and they did a great job of cleaning the rooms. We stayed in a fan room, and it was perfectly comfortable with the breeze coming in from the ocean/sea. The breakfast was pretty tasty.

My biggest complaint is about the bar. They have happy hour deals of buy-one, get-one that aren't actually buy-one, get-one and are quite pricey. Then they don't understand why you argue about a free one when it's listed under receiving a free one. Also, they play terrible club music that ruins a wonderful sunset.

Overall though, it was a great place to stay, and we enjoyed the island so much that we extended our stay by one night.

Room Tip: Restaurant Tip: Food is awful on the island, especially considering the price. However, if you bring...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at Blue Corals for six nights in August 2013. Best location on the island but does not make good use of it - staff are friendly but not well organised. Rooms clean and comfortable with OK shower and fan or air-con. Wifi only works in restaurant - good breakfast included in the price. No lunch or dinner served.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa Z
Reviewed 24 August 2013

What I love about Blue Corals is that it is located in a location where you can witness both the beautiful sunrise and sunset. I did not hesitate to this hotel because I've read good reviews and one of my friends actually stayed in this hotel. We stayed 3 dyas and 2 nights in this hotel. The staff were great, the breakfast was great, as well! The room is clean. We stayed in a room with a beautiful view, a view of the ocean! And above all, we got a good discount from the ownere that is now Germany-based! I recommend that when you go Malapascua, you book to this hotel! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends