“my very first trip advisor entry”

Evolution Diving Resort
Cebu Island, Philippines
“my very first trip advisor entry”
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Normally I don't take the time to write reviews, but in this case I deemed it necessary to go through the hassle of downloading the app, creating a profile, etc to personally thank the owners of Evolution, Dave and Matt, and all the folks at Evolution diving for nothing short of the best dive experience to date. I came to Malapascua with a couple of bags, the desire to get my dive master, and no clue how or where to get it done. After walking into many dive shops along the beach, including exotic and thresher shark diver, I quite didn't get a gut feeling of personal attention until I came to the last dive shop on the beach, which was Evolution. At Evolution, and talked with an Irish "chap" named Dave, told him my desires, and he offers me the dive master package at a good rate, but than tries to tell me I might be happier with tech diving instead of a DM package. I'm stuborn and how would this stranger know what I want more I do, little did I know he knew what I wanted more than I did. So I signed up with the DM package, great experience, great diving, great instructor. But I wanted more, and I began to hear how great tech diving is, and how great Dave and Matt are as instructors, and not just from the people at Evolution but from others not affiliated with the shop. I did the tech course, and it was challenging, and even greater than the challenge was the reward! The reward for me was diving the Magami Maru wreck with Dave and my course buddy. My secondary reward was the outstanding character traits of Dave and Matt; their perfect mix of professionalism and fun has made me a better diver while keeping me interested in diving and wanting to continue challenging myself with more advanced diving courses.

I will be returning to Evolution next year for trimix. Evolution diving in Malapascua is about much more than sharks.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Joey G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is now the third time I've been to Malapascua to dive with Matt, Dave and the team at Evolution and once again I left hoping it would not be too long before I could return.

Dave and Matt's operation manages to perfectly walk the fine line between utter professionalism while maintaining the laid back attitude that you would expect from a dive shop located literally right on an amazing white sand beach of an idyllic tropical island.

The facilities at Evolution are first rate, and the staff are a credit to themselves and Evolution. The local dive guides really are freaks, how they manage to spot the critters they do is astounding. Thanks in particular to Gino and Jo Jo; diving with you guys is such a pleasure.
The boat drivers and boat boys are always smiling while going to extra mile to help you in and out of the water, and the restaurant/bar staff, well lets just say they can be a little too efficient at replacing your ice cold beer at times. The food is also great!

If you're planning a trip to Malapascua do youself a favour and check Evolution out, you won't be dissapointed.

Once again a big thank you to the entire team at Evolution, until next time!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank shanegrosser
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Took my first ever diving class and got my PADI Open Water at Evolution with the best instructor (Kelly). Ask for her. She's great. The dive facilities were great, we got to see thresher sharks, lots amazing reefs (go to Gato Island). If I go back I will stay at Evolution again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

I took an AN/DP tech diving course with David. In just 4 days he has helped me improve my diving inmensly. I have learned so much about self-reliant diving and am now able to properly explain dive plans with their mathematical reasoning

The standards of safety and correctness at Evolution are higher than anywhere in the world i've been in 15 years of diving.

In short: If you want to dive with the best then dive with Evolution

• Stayed May 2013
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Evolution diving is relaxed atmosphere, personal attitude and professional staff that will do their best to make your diving a memorable experience. Treasure sharks, a lot of macro sealife, and amazing reefs (especially Gato Island)! I strongly recommend them and would definitely stay at their bungalows.

• Stayed April 2013
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Evolution Diving is located in a very nice and quiet part of the island, but still close enough to the main bars and terraces. It is also the same place as Craic House, the best restaurant of the island.

There are only 4-8 rooms (I think they were building a couple new ones), and they are perfectly located, next tot he diving center and in front of the restaurant (where you also have breakfast before the morning dives).
There is aboard where you subscribe yourself to the different dives, and there is always someone around to help or answer questions.

Don't miss the very early Thresher shark dive!

Room Tip: If you go after Jan/Feb take one of the rooms with airco, it's worth it.