“Fantastic dive instructor”

Evolution Diving Resort
Hong Kong, China
“Fantastic dive instructor”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My boyfriend and I have just come back from a 5 night stay at Evolution. The sole purpose for our trip was to qualify in our PADI Open Water Dive course. Our instructor, Daniel, was absolutely fantastic. He was so thorough with explaining everything and offered a lot more information than was supplied in the book. We both felt that his expertise was hugely valuable in helping us understand everything to get us qualified and actually gave us much more insight than the basic requirement, which was great. His instructions when underwater are so clear that we both felt in incredibly safe hands the whole time. He was excellent and would highly recommend learning with him.

The accommodation is very basic but fit for purpose because we were so busy studying and diving that we hardly spent any time in the room. The food at the Craic House is also delicious - we highly recommend the jalapeño quesadillas, tuna steak and spicy meatballs with quesadillas (a special on their menu). All washed down with a chilled San Miguel Light!!

Thanks to all the lovely staff at Evolution. We had a great time and very fond memories of our introduction to the exciting world of scuba diving!!

• Stayed October 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We did our Padi Open water course at Evolution Diving and we had a great time. ESPECIALLY our Dive Instructor Daniel Holmstedt was very competent, experienced and really fun.

If there would be one thing that should be improved in future then its some of the dive equipment. Some of it seems a bit old and its not what you want especially when you're a beginner.
But overall a perfect place and worth to go.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 September 2013

On a long school break, I decided that I wanted to get my Advanced Open Water certification, and that I wanted to do so diving somewhere where I could see big things (i.e.: sharks) and some macro as well. Malapascua fit the bill. I got a tip about Evolution Diving, and decided to follow up. I e-barraged David with a million questions about logistics and planning, all of which he seemed happy to answer. After everything was set up, I already felt confident that I was in good hands.

With the helpful private land/water transfer, I made the 6-hour journey from Cebu airport to Malapascua painlessly. When I got to Evolution, we were immediately down to business, and I was already in the water within one hour of getting on the sand. As I completed my dives for my certification, it became clear to me that the Evolution divers take diving seriously. Their passion and dedication to diving is clear in the care they take to do it right—to take care of the reefs, to help students with their form, to chat with you about diving machinery, and in the case of my trip, to quickly and attentively care to a diver who felt at risk of decompression sickness upon surfacing. I was totally impressed with the way that Evolution cares for their divers, their environment, and for the sport itself. Moreover, they accomplish all of that with smiles and laughter, jokes and fun. I never felt an air of pretension—just a desire to make me a better diver and to have fun.

The accommodations were great and the food was delicious, but it wouldn't have mattered if it weren't. The diving mattered to me, and the diving was spectacular. It was hands down the best diving vacation I've ever been on, if not one of the most memorable vacations of my life. I'm really thankful that I had such a great and hospitable experience with these divers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank zwiener
fremont
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Spent 10 days with Evolution diving. Owners David and Matt keep the shop well organized. Very friendly staff and fun to be around. Dove with Alex, Jo, and Gino. Each of them showed us awesome time in the water and took great care of us. Dive sites we went to were all amazing. Can't wait to return and stay longer next time!
Thanks Evolution xx

• Stayed August 2013
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Normally I don't take the time to write reviews, but in this case I deemed it necessary to go through the hassle of downloading the app, creating a profile, etc to personally thank the owners of Evolution, Dave and Matt, and all the folks at Evolution diving for nothing short of the best dive experience to date. I came to Malapascua with a couple of bags, the desire to get my dive master, and no clue how or where to get it done. After walking into many dive shops along the beach, including exotic and thresher shark diver, I quite didn't get a gut feeling of personal attention until I came to the last dive shop on the beach, which was Evolution. At Evolution, and talked with an Irish "chap" named Dave, told him my desires, and he offers me the dive master package at a good rate, but than tries to tell me I might be happier with tech diving instead of a DM package. I'm stuborn and how would this stranger know what I want more I do, little did I know he knew what I wanted more than I did. So I signed up with the DM package, great experience, great diving, great instructor. But I wanted more, and I began to hear how great tech diving is, and how great Dave and Matt are as instructors, and not just from the people at Evolution but from others not affiliated with the shop. I did the tech course, and it was challenging, and even greater than the challenge was the reward! The reward for me was diving the Magami Maru wreck with Dave and my course buddy. My secondary reward was the outstanding character traits of Dave and Matt; their perfect mix of professionalism and fun has made me a better diver while keeping me interested in diving and wanting to continue challenging myself with more advanced diving courses.

I will be returning to Evolution next year for trimix. Evolution diving in Malapascua is about much more than sharks.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Joey G
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is now the third time I've been to Malapascua to dive with Matt, Dave and the team at Evolution and once again I left hoping it would not be too long before I could return.

Dave and Matt's operation manages to perfectly walk the fine line between utter professionalism while maintaining the laid back attitude that you would expect from a dive shop located literally right on an amazing white sand beach of an idyllic tropical island.

The facilities at Evolution are first rate, and the staff are a credit to themselves and Evolution. The local dive guides really are freaks, how they manage to spot the critters they do is astounding. Thanks in particular to Gino and Jo Jo; diving with you guys is such a pleasure.
The boat drivers and boat boys are always smiling while going to extra mile to help you in and out of the water, and the restaurant/bar staff, well lets just say they can be a little too efficient at replacing your ice cold beer at times. The food is also great!

If you're planning a trip to Malapascua do youself a favour and check Evolution out, you won't be dissapointed.

Once again a big thank you to the entire team at Evolution, until next time!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank shanegrosser
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Took my first ever diving class and got my PADI Open Water at Evolution with the best instructor (Kelly). Ask for her. She's great. The dive facilities were great, we got to see thresher sharks, lots amazing reefs (go to Gato Island). If I go back I will stay at Evolution again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends