“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kokay's Maldito Dive Resort

Kokay's Maldito Dive Resort
Cuisines: Philippine, Bar, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wakefield, Rhode Island
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was our third trip to malapascua and we passed this place many times without ever thinking about what was inside. A couple people working on the island recommended this place to us so we went to dinner. The antipasto and salami plates were great. We also ordered a pizza from their brick pizza oven and it was quite good. Everybody was pleased with their entrees, we had the bbq skewers that were quite good, the paella which was good, but could have been a little better if they used a proper paella pan and proper chorizo, but for where we were it was quite acceptable, one of the best restaurants on the island in my opinion, I am surprised it is not rated as such. The gelato was quite good also, especially the tiramisu. The staff were always visible and eager to help. The only real negative to me was that there corkage fee was quite ridiculous...most restaurants on the island charged 300 pesos or had no change. Here was 1200 pesos, you could buy 10 glasses of the house wine cheaper than opening a bottle from outside. Kind of odd, but i guess they dont want people bringing their own wine.
We also came here one night and it is definitely THE gathering place on the island. At night time the vibe is quite different, a must try is their shots, once drank, you then throw the glass against the wall that has a bin on the bottom to collect all the broken glass. I still can't believe i saw this in a bar, but it really was quite fun. Every few minutes you here the shattering of glass. Most of the people working on the island were there hanging out, drinking, and it seemed that everybody was having a good time.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank hikelarson

• Korean first
Dongguan, Guangdong, China (Dongguan, Guangdong)
“What a turn around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We went to this restaurant back in 2009 for what was a ridiculously aweful dinner (my lasagne was stone cold) and gave it a wide berth in 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013.

We went their last night on the recommendation of TSD instructors.

It was brilliant. We over ordered because the portions were so big and our stomachs hurt at the end from trying to finish as much as we could.

Prices were cheap (except for corkage fee was stupid high)

Service was good and food times were spot on.

The staff were laughing and having fun even when it was busy (this tells me they are well treated and enjoy their work) and deserved every penny of the tip we left them (around £10).

I thought I'd never go there again but as long as they keep these high standards it will be a regular spot to eat for the rest of this trips and on all future trips!

Well done for the turn around in all areas it must not have been easy but you deserve to reap they rewards of your hard work

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Jaybaydg
Singapore, Singapore
“Comparable to Angelina's! Why is it ranked so low?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Came with a few friends and ordered many dishes. Most were excellent, except the arugula salad that was probably harvested too late and hence too bitter. Chicken pie is yummy both hot and cold.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank weisze
london
“Shockingly low standard service !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Ihv been intensively traveling to Philippines (9times within last 2years) and I hv never encounter such a low quality service. During my stay in Malapascua Island I want to try national Philippines dessert -Mango float. Its hard to find it on this island but this restaurant has it, well at least that what they claims.I went to this place and before order I asked three times if they really heave it. Waitress said that they have it.
I know in Philippines u always hv to wait so I asked about glass of water, they said that they don't hv it and I had to pay for a bottle water ( I visited at least 5 another restaurants and they always hv free glass water for costumers ) later on I asked about Wifi password and guess what ?! Even though I was a consumer they want to charge me for it - 60pesos per hr! Its simple ridicules, practically everywhere in Philippines if u are consumer they always give you free wifi access. Anyway after 40 minutes waiting I politely asked, where is my order and you wont believe it- they said that don't have it and was sold out ! ( funny because in this place were 4 costumers including myself and my friend) That was the straw who broke camel's back. I called for manager and asked her how come they didn't tell about not having my order, charging for water etc. This woman was extremely rude, didn't let me finish and when I asked what they can offer in return, for example, free water, she shout at me " why would I give u free water " Later on she was shouting on her staff( not my problem but i felt sorry for them") and out of sudden I got my Mango float (obviously not 2 like I order but 1). Whatever management response to my post I recorded all conversation with this greedy and rude supervisor.
Another key points:
-this restaurant is probably only place in Malapascu where they don't have "happy hrs" ( all resorts on the beach have it - I checked it personally)
-staff looks extremely sad like they participating in the saddest waitress competition ( since their supervisor is so rude I'm not surprised)
-flies picked up this place as their favourite, plenty of them. making staying there ,very annoying
-Mango float was average, very sour and very small amount of topping.
Its pity that such a lovely located place its doomed by rude manager and general mess I would never go there and warning about this extremely greedy owner, so the best advice
DONT GO THERE

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank manstain
Cebu City, Philippines
“good price with giant serving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

popped in here for dinner. the staff are so friendly. their food is reasonably priced and we were shocked to get gigantic servings! when my boyfriend couldnt finish his large bowl of soup, the staff even got concerned :) ...i love their bolognese spaghetti, it has a hint of filipino taste with creamy sauce

Visited April 2014