“Clean rooms, near the best beach on the island” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cocobana Beach Resort

Cocobana Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Malapascua Island
“Clean rooms, near the best beach on the island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice already,may and June 2013, and I booked a fan room and a double ac room for my stay. Both rooms are clean, and well maintained, I love the location because it is so near everything especially the pier! Right across the resort is bounty beach which is the best beach on the island, I'm always happy to sunbathe and swim in front of my cottage!

The only thing I don't like about the place is that wifi is only available in the restaurant, and the prices for their food is expensive, so if you're not too lazy to eat someone else better find another place to eat in.

The service and staff is so-so, sometimes I get nice people sometimes the front desk lady isn't as friendly, but just polite and seems jaded with her work haha.

I love this place though so I'm going back this weekend! :)

• Stayed May 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed in a spacious sea view cottage(#18) with 2 double beds, air con, hot shower (low pressure) and separate toilet (plumbing worked well). Price quoted 2600p (for 2 pax only) extra person 400p. The balcony looked out to the walking path through to the beach, very nice. Though a little bit pricey, still a good location.

I cannot say anything good about the service in the restaurant though! The 3 female staff sat around playing with their phone and doing their nails. Would only serve if prompted or the bell rang. My sister and I are half Filipino so we can understand the language..... One time when my sister was walking to reception in her bathers one of the waitresses shouted from the restaurant in visaya "big boobs" and were all laughing about it. We found this very unprofessional and rude. Another incident was when we went to reception for an inquiry and found the girls checking each other for head lice, even when approached they did not bother to fix themselves up or move back to the front desk. The food is very average.

I reccomend the cottages but haggle for a discount. Stay away from the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ficafioca
Timaru, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed May 2013. Lovely big room,unfortunatly something leaking in the bathroom creating an awful smell. Staff moved us to another room and then all was fine. Nice location. No tea and coffee making facilities ( I think this is common to a few hotels). My wife and I hired a motorbike to see the island (not a good idea). Not long after setting out, still in the town area, we got chased by a dog (many many dogs roaming around there). It tried to bite my foot as we drove along I accelerated and my wife shouted at it. If it had bitten me we would have had a difficult and costly trip to a hospital in Cebu as rabies is on Malapascua. My advise is do not hire a bike, keep to the safe resort areas.If you do get a bike you will drive amongst the local people's homes and see at very close quarters how they live.(I felt I was intruding). Malapascua could be a wonderful place to holiday but unfortunately there appears to be nobody taking responsibilty to the overall planning etc of the island. I asked if there was a hotel owners committee or some other sort of management commitee and was told no. This island could be a gold mine and employment could be found for everyone on the island. Unfortunately the locals take no pride and drop there litter anywhere. I watched a crowd disperse after a funeral meeting close to the main beach. They had been given refreshments and the remnants of this had just been thrown on the walkway which was the main walkway to the resort hotels.On the main beach rubbish is everwhere and more seriously amongst the beautiful sand was sharp broken glass and dog poo. If the locals took pride in their wonderful island it would attract more people and attract more investment which would attract more employment. I will not go to Malapascua again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

We visited quite a few others places before settling for Cocobana, which was more expensive than what we saw elsewhere, but also cleaner and with bigger rooms. Sea-front cottages were fully booked, so we ended up with a deluxe room (around 2500P, breakfast not included).

Pros :
- Very nice and clean room, by the garden (and opening on another garden at the back), pretty well-decorated, very quiet
- Excellent bed
- Functioning toilets and showers
- Close to the beach and the pier, as well as most of the diving centers
- Quiet restaurant, not many people eating there (for a reason...)

Cons :
- staff is not particularly friendly or helpful
- food was so-so at best, impossible to eat on one occasion (hottest tom yam soup I've ever tasted, and I've tasted quite a few) but then again, food is pretty expensive and uninteresting on the island (except Ging Ging). Service was also very slow, even by philipino standards.
- bad odours in the shower in the morning (not always)
- not really a problem with the hotel itself but although Bounty beach is beautiful, it isn't such a good place to swim, especially at low time, when you're essentially rubbing your belly against see grass.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ilyasou
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

...if you get the right rooms I guess. I just read an awful review on here for this place and can't understand, I guess there is a big difference in the room types.

We just stayed here in a beach front cottage and it was gorgeous. A terrace that looks straight out to sea but is protected from all the 'riff raff' (lol) by a nice picket fence, you can see the envy on the peoples faces as they walk by, the're not too many places with accommodation situated like this, makes you feel slightly regal.

I honestly thought Tepanee was the be all and end all of Malapascua but IT IS NOT! This is great place to stay, well we enjoyed it.

(service is a bit lacking in the restaurant)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Pinheadplanet
Friedrichshafen, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Cocobana is one of the oldest resort on Malapascua Island which unforunately might be already noticed with regard of the standard of cottages. They are very big and have fantastic porches but some renovation would make them one of the leading resort on the island. Cocobana is located in the very centre of Bounty Beach, you have seaview from most of the rooms. It is clean, there is every day room service. Rooms and bathrooms are quite basic. You might have a room with aircon which is rather necessary in high season when the temperature is over 35 degrees. The best cottages are located in the first row from the beach side, those are more expensive but still cheaper than many resorts there. You can have a lovely stay if yuo don´t expect a very high standard.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Labasa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

We arrived very late and could do nothing but accept to sleep in that overpriced disgusting room.
It was so dirty we slept in our clothes, the mattress was so bad our bodies ached the next day.
Mosquito nets with holes, sand, dirty sheets, dirty toilets, noisy, unfriendly and on top of that expensive.
One of the worst place we stayed in during our two months vacations in the Philippines.

Room Tip: Avoid by all means. Look for the Fema's beautiful bungalows near the elementary school, opposi...