“Nice beach front place” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Malapascua Island
Manila, Manila, Philippines
“Nice beach front place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

This resort is nice because its right in front of the beach. The swimming pool was just being constructed when we checked in August 2013 and they said it would be finished in a couple of weeks. The place was a bit pricey though and as i walked around I saw many more hotels within the same price range that was much better. The ordering in their restaurant took very long and when I ordered food somewhere else, they charged us for the use of their utensils. There were many cockroaches in the room where we checked in but this was solved by multiple doses of bug spray. We stayed for 3 nights and we didn't encounter anymore insects on the 2nd and 3rd night.

Malapascua though boasts of very good diving... specially when you see the Thresher sharks which are very rare elsewhere in the world.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cebu City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

The thing i like about cocobana is that it is just adjacent to the wharf where the motorized boats would unload the guests. it has an excellent beachfront. it is also near to our favorite restaurant in the island, Ging-ging's (just at the back). They also have a restaurant but we did not eat in their resto coz we had a tight budget. Overall, we had a great experience in malapascua. see more pics in my blog -> www.enchantingphilippines.com

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cleofas Y
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

The resort is super quiet. The room was very spacious. There is hot water. Both toilet and bathroom door couldn't close properly. I was staying in the room by myself so it didn't bother me. The staff is friendly. Skip breakfast here. Try Malapascua Legend for breakfast instead.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank zzzSleepyzzz
Cebu Island, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Over the last 10 years we stayed seveal times at Cocobana, mostly in the beachview cottages and we were very satified, so we liked to go back there. As this year the beachview cottages were fully booked, we booked the super-deluxe-aircon room with seaview instead. Upon arrival on july 5 we were informed that those rooms were not available because they were repainting them, they proposed a deluxe-family room with side seaview, room ok but in front of the room they were building a swimming pool, with all the mess that it brings: workers watching us more than working, beachchairs in dirty garden instead of the beach, .... Except for sleeping there, we were out to other restaurants and beach areas near by.
But then after 1 night sleeping my body was full of bites (at least 20) and very itchi. I was astonished as i did not see too many mosquitos, and bites looked different! Now I find out that those bites are from bedbugs, and after 3 days they are still very red and itchi!!
It's a pitty, but I want to warn future customers!
I must say that over the last years there are more attractive beachresorts now on Bounty beach, that is where i will book in the future!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ejcb_13

Travellers are raving about these Malapascua Island hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice already,may and June 2013, and I booked a fan room and a double ac room for my stay. Both rooms are clean, and well maintained, I love the location because it is so near everything especially the pier! Right across the resort is bounty beach which is the best beach on the island, I'm always happy to sunbathe and swim in front of my cottage!

The only thing I don't like about the place is that wifi is only available in the restaurant, and the prices for their food is expensive, so if you're not too lazy to eat someone else better find another place to eat in.

The service and staff is so-so, sometimes I get nice people sometimes the front desk lady isn't as friendly, but just polite and seems jaded with her work haha.

I love this place though so I'm going back this weekend! :)

• Stayed May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

We stayed in a spacious sea view cottage(#18) with 2 double beds, air con, hot shower (low pressure) and separate toilet (plumbing worked well). Price quoted 2600p (for 2 pax only) extra person 400p. The balcony looked out to the walking path through to the beach, very nice. Though a little bit pricey, still a good location.

I cannot say anything good about the service in the restaurant though! The 3 female staff sat around playing with their phone and doing their nails. Would only serve if prompted or the bell rang. My sister and I are half Filipino so we can understand the language..... One time when my sister was walking to reception in her bathers one of the waitresses shouted from the restaurant in visaya "big boobs" and were all laughing about it. We found this very unprofessional and rude. Another incident was when we went to reception for an inquiry and found the girls checking each other for head lice, even when approached they did not bother to fix themselves up or move back to the front desk. The food is very average.

I reccomend the cottages but haggle for a discount. Stay away from the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ficafioca
Timaru, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed May 2013. Lovely big room,unfortunatly something leaking in the bathroom creating an awful smell. Staff moved us to another room and then all was fine. Nice location. No tea and coffee making facilities ( I think this is common to a few hotels). My wife and I hired a motorbike to see the island (not a good idea). Not long after setting out, still in the town area, we got chased by a dog (many many dogs roaming around there). It tried to bite my foot as we drove along I accelerated and my wife shouted at it. If it had bitten me we would have had a difficult and costly trip to a hospital in Cebu as rabies is on Malapascua. My advise is do not hire a bike, keep to the safe resort areas.If you do get a bike you will drive amongst the local people's homes and see at very close quarters how they live.(I felt I was intruding). Malapascua could be a wonderful place to holiday but unfortunately there appears to be nobody taking responsibilty to the overall planning etc of the island. I asked if there was a hotel owners committee or some other sort of management commitee and was told no. This island could be a gold mine and employment could be found for everyone on the island. Unfortunately the locals take no pride and drop there litter anywhere. I watched a crowd disperse after a funeral meeting close to the main beach. They had been given refreshments and the remnants of this had just been thrown on the walkway which was the main walkway to the resort hotels.On the main beach rubbish is everwhere and more seriously amongst the beautiful sand was sharp broken glass and dog poo. If the locals took pride in their wonderful island it would attract more people and attract more investment which would attract more employment. I will not go to Malapascua again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family