“Good value hotel”

Cocobana Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Malapascua Island
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Located directly on the beach, the rooms are very good value for money. Staff is friendly, and rooms are clean.
They have a nice swimming pool, but it was quite dirty at the time I was there.
I also asked for laundry, but they gave me back very smelly clothes that needed to be washed again. Little things like this can ruin a nice stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I could say that I totally enjoyed my stay at Cocobana. We got one of the three rooms which were closest the beach which had a great ocean view of course. Our two double sized bed rooms were pretty spacious, room was fairly clean, air con was working properly, it was a little noisy though . When you want to swim, it takes 30 seconds to get your feet in to the water, which is pretty nice. Considering its price Cocobana is one of the best places to stay in Malapascua.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alaaddin S
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I recently stayed in Cocobana for 10 days in a super deluxe aircon room, and enjoyed my stay alot.

The room I had was extremely spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet. Cocobana is not the newest resort, some things (in the bathroom for example) are a little bit worn out, but fully functional. Hot water shower worked fine, as did the aircon.
The highlight of the room was the huge balcony with its stunning view of Bounty Beach and the ocean, sunsets included.
There was still some reconstruction work going on in the building next to mine (but almost finished when I left in late February), and the pool wasn't back in use yet. But after the typhoons in the previous months I wouldn't hold that against anyone.

The staff at the reception was always nice and friendly, and helped with any issues or questions I had. Some things might take a little longer there, but I was on island time as well, so it didn't really matter.
The restaurant was only serving breakfast when I was there, which I had booked elsewhere, so I didn't try it. You can get drinks there all day long.
The WiFi is only working in and around the reception area. If it's working or not is always a matter of luck though; Cocobana seemed to have a signal more often then other places on the island when I was there. But be prepared to be without working internet connection for a couple of days as a worst case scenario. Also bring cash in lots of small banknotes if possible, since there is no ATM and many places/persons do not have enough change for the big banknotes.

All in all, Cocobana is a good resort with possibly the best location on Malapascua. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront seaview room if you can, room 'Klivie' has the best view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank flyingpeon
Reviewed 4 February 2014

It's a nice place, the rooms are clean and quite big, there is air con (depends which room you will choose) and great view. It's in front of the bounty beach which is amazing , all the trips to the other islands start from there, the water may be a problem but bear in mind you are on an island, its not the hotel's fault. If you want a decent place I recommend Cocobana :-)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Rooms are impressively huge. Although didn't understand the restroom design and shower in separate compartments and not really bath "rooms" because they are not enclosed, so it's a bit odd for your room companions when you're in the toilet and you can be seen sitting there only separated in thin blur glass.

Booking was speedy, but speedy because I called and called and called and that was the only way that we had our rooms confirmed. Older lady at the reception needs training to smile and be friendly to guests. Most specially the staff at the small restaurant and the housekeeping, management really had to do something with staff because Cocobana has a good potential to be boom compared to other hotels because they got the best prime beachfront.

Being prime beachfront, it's neither squeezed in to the other hotels where the noise of night disco and bars at night so actually the best location you can find among the hotels.

But when we were there and treated slackly by staff, although rooms were good especially the new ones, we were lured to transfer to other hotels.

Staff busy chit-chatting and flock together while leaving guests' needs. Our friend requested to rent snorkel gears, an hour passed no gears came so we rented outside. They have to be reminded that you need soap in your bathroom. Beds are tough and airconditioning smells musky and old.

Room Tip: Pick the new rooms, not the cabanas although the cabanas got the best seaview. 2-storey new building...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The room I stayed in was basic with a fan and cold shower but it was clean, comfortable, quiet, homey, and all I needed. The garden is beautiful and complete with a duck and beautiful flowers everywhere. It is right on the beach and even my room which was the furthest back on the property was only about 50m to the water. The staff were friendly and always said hello with a smile. My room was cleaned and the bed was made and new towels were provided daily. Wifi did not work for the duration of my stay but I just walked down the beach to Ocean Vida, had a coffee and used their wifi when I needed to. I would return, it was a peaceful spot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This resort is nice because its right in front of the beach. The swimming pool was just being constructed when we checked in August 2013 and they said it would be finished in a couple of weeks. The place was a bit pricey though and as i walked around I saw many more hotels within the same price range that was much better. The ordering in their restaurant took very long and when I ordered food somewhere else, they charged us for the use of their utensils. There were many cockroaches in the room where we checked in but this was solved by multiple doses of bug spray. We stayed for 3 nights and we didn't encounter anymore insects on the 2nd and 3rd night.

Malapascua though boasts of very good diving... specially when you see the Thresher sharks which are very rare elsewhere in the world.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends