“Room for Improvement!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranleigh
Munster, Germany
“Room for Improvement!!!!”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I booked this hotel purely due to it's close location to Dunsfold Aerodrome, I thought when booking £75.00 for B&B was reasonable. We arrived afternoon on valentines day entered through the bar door as there was no obvious other entrance. We spoke to the bar maid who also confirmed our booking, she gave us our keys and showed us our room. At first sight we thought it seemed ok but first impressions can be deceiving.
We headed back down to the bar and tried to ask a couple of questions but felt like we were stopping the bar maid doing something else, she did explain dinner times and a valentines special and then quickly disappeared we thought again to do some work but as it turned out it was to go outside to have a cigarette!!!! in her absence some of her customers told us of many other better places to eat that evening. There loss I would say as we did eat elsewhere.
We returned late had one drink and then went off to bed we may have sat in the bar slightly longer had we felt welcome, hospitality was not free flowing shall we say.
Before going to bed we asked about breakfast in that did we need to reserve a time or seat and were advised no so we went to bed.
Second sight of the room well it's only up was it's quaint country design if that was intended either that or it's been like that since the hotel opened and never modernised.
A wardrobe that looked like it should have been thrown out years ago, it was in poor condition.
Carpet that flowed from the bed room to the en-suite I'll fitting in the en-suite and dirty in the corners with paint form poorly painted skirting boards. 1980's bath mat and pedestal rug which combined with carpet in this day and age are vile are disgusting!!!! The water system and toilet flush was so noisy and annoying. Through the night when someone used the toilet or sink the noise was disturbing. The Walls are paper this there was a very unhappy man in the hotel as he was cursing and swearing on the phone for about an hour while we were trying to sleep I was only happy my children weren't with me.
The sheets on the bed had the smell of an old dusty book and had looked like they were bought 40years ago. The mattress was lumpy the pillows were past there best and I don't consider myself exceptionally tall at 172cms but my feet were hanging off the end of the bed.
Breakfast was a whole other experience. we tried to sit at a table by the window but were promptly told off by the morning staff and showed to our seat which was where we had to sit like it or not. The table was in direct sunlight and we had to move our place settings, there was a leather bracelet lying on the table no idea whose but I wasn't happy to share my table with someone else's Jewelery and dead skin cells. I did try to tell the staff but she had little interest in speaking to us. The conversation consisted off did we want to cooked breakfast and tea. I did want a breakfast but when I tried to express my wishes as to what I didn't like to eat I was abruptly told " tell me what you do want" surely either way it was my breakfast wish and I was the customer and guest so I ended up eating 2 slices of bacon a sausage and some beans. Our Toast was burnt and cold we got a half glass of orange each I did look for the waitress to ask for more but couldn't find her. She did return to have a discussion with some people about there bill for our breakfast entertainment and tell another guest off who stayed alone for trying to sit at the reserved table. I should have liked to meet theses people as they are obviously very special they get a reserved table and customer service when not even in the room!!!
Checking out time and we came to the bar with our stuff and looked around again no one there, the door opens and in comes the waitress from having a cigarette and takes our payment.
Overall the place was poor, not welcoming and no one introduces themselves so you could be speaking when you find them to he owner the cleaner or anyone really and the popping in and out from serving drinks and possibly even doing breakfasts to have cigarettes is unprofessional, un hygienic and rude.
Wouldn't stay again and wouldn't recommend!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sjla4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Firstly this property should not be allowed to be called a hotel as It doesnt provide any facilities that I would expect from a hotel it is at most a B&B within a pub.

It wasnt a good experience and probably the worst hotel ive stayed in and for I think it was 60 pounds a night also a lot of money for not getting a decent sleep which is all we were after.

Good Points:
Heating was working
The shower worked
The bed was king size

Bad points:
Having the queue at the bar for about 7-10 minutes in a packed pub with loud music from a DJ/disco in order to check in
Disco continuing till about 1.15am while we were trying to sleep upstairs
Nobody answering the official hotel telephone even after calling it about 4-5 times to ask about when the music would stop
No restaurant on saturday as we were lead to belive as there was a disco on that night
Only one set of towels being left in a double room
Sheet being slightly dirty and off colour
Sink being in the bedroom itself not the ensuite room
Analogue small CRT TV with only a couple of channels
Towel rail falling off the wall next to the sink
Toilet paper roll on the floor as there was no holder
Kids leaning on my car in the car park because the festivities were carrying out on in the gardens outside
Having to park in a non official space as the car park was full
Door to leave the stairwell being locked so we were trapped inside the rooms section when we wanted to check out (I wonder what would happen in a fire?)
Not recieving any breakfast because aparently we checked out too early at 715am even though the booking information was contratary to that.
The member of staff accusing me of lying that the times of breakfast and the restaurant were clear when I complained about the noise and the lack of any dinner/breakfast

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cranleigh hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Aftre reading some of the reviews we approached the place with trepidation. We need not have worried. We were received at the reception , given the Key and showed to our room. She even offered to carry our luggage up the stairs. The room was adequate , recently decorated and clean, A large bath which looked almost new, and suffecient towels.. Perhaps the one draw back was a certain amount of noise from the bar downstairs. Beakfast was very good and served with a smile. We would certainly stay there again

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I booked a room in June via Booking.com and rec'd. confirmation. On arriving at the hotel on 27th August 2011 we were told our names were not in the diary.!! The Manager was called and he found the Booking.com booking form - it just was not transferred into the diary. To say the least we were not impressed. However, watching the staff and hearing conversations + reading other reviews under Booking.com we may have had a lucky escape. We were found alternative accommodation but this was grotty. Accommodation wise not a w/end to remember.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Eileen M
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We were welcomed by the barmaid enquiring whether we would would like to pay NOW while scratching her badly shaved arm-pit. We were asked to wait (and so had a drink) while another barmaid was found to assist with the booking. On completing our drink and having viewed another unfortunate disappearing thorugh a door we vaguely gestured in the direction we thought the rooms were. "That's right" was the response and we were left to find the room ourselves.

The room, despite expectations, wasn't too bad.

The next morning (Sunday) we were delighted to hear to dulcet sounds of the washing machine as 07:30 a.m. On descending to breakfast we were greeted by the sight of said washing strewn across tables in the dining room while breakfast was served in an adjacent section. Lovely. Our arrival was met with the warmth and friendliness that greeted us on our initial arrival. Breakfast was acceptable.

On departing we couldn't see anyone so we left the key on the bar and called into the kitchen to say where the key was and that we were leaving. "Warm and friendly" immediately appeared to demand that we didn't leave until she had checked that we had paid. This was an insult to both our integrity and our intelligence.

Never again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark B
Bristol
Reviewed 19 June 2011

The rooms were terrible - dirty , scruffy and smelly. Beds and bedding were at least 15 years old. The bar downstairs was equally bad and the owners were not interested in any feed back. Would never stay again. Could not believe they had the cheek to charge £65 per night!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank yvonnejorden
London
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I imagined the Cranley Hotel (pub) would be basic but welcoming having stayed in pub accommodation before.

The images of the pub and the rooms did not do justice .. at all ! the pub is run down and the rooms beyond shabby. No shower, a bath (badly patched) and smelly towels. Why did I not walk out immediately well, I thought one night cannot be bad. I was very wrong, The bar was run by young teenagers and the clientele were all teenagers, the music really loud until at least 12 at night and then the shouting swearing and running up and down the stairs (why ?) until the early hours of the morning at least 3/4am and very loud and bad (s@x) banging against the walls then more shouting and swearing. We thought we would have breakfast in relative peace, but the other "guests" were rude greeting us with morning happy campers so decided not to stay for breakfast as parents were on their way down and did not want to subject them to the other "guests" beware at all costs is all I can recommend of this location (do not be fooled by the sleepy village that it is in .. its the local dive and bonking facility !

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grahacy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranleigh
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 11 in Guildford
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#5 of 11 in Guildford

Been to Cranley Hotel? Share your experiences!