Cranley Hotel
US$79
US$79
US$77
  • Pool
Travelodge Billinghurst Five Oaks(Five Oaks)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$127
  • Pool
Gatton Manor(Dorking)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I understand that The Cranley hotel is a small local establishment and I've stayed in a fair few hotels, but never anywhere as bad as this! Check in is at the bar, you're then directed to your room. Upon entering the room you're greeted by a musty smell as you almost trip over the sink. The carpet was stained, the bed linen was washed out and had seen better days, the wardrobe had been kicked/ punched (see photo), the tree just outside the window has started to grow inside, the shower was filthy and needed a good bleach, the towels stank and we're like sandpaper, everything we touched seemed to break- we dried our hands and the towel rail broke, we closed the curtains and the rail fell on us! The waitress at breakfast was so stern and unapproachable that we sat with dry mouths too scared to ask for more to drink!- the 2 mouthfuls of orange juice she provided us with did nothing to quench our thirst! Their saving grace was that we were able to have an early check in, I'm thankful we literally got ready for a wedding and slept there!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Charlene Y
Reviewed 12 May 2014

First off I would say that I am guessing they have received a lot of complaints as when I rang to check my booking I was told "its not a hotel its a pub". Might want to consider a name change!! We were also informed on arrival that there was a disco (although this didn't affect us at all). The room was small but clean and better than I was expecting. Good hospitality tray and nice toiletries. Breakfast was good (although missed the baked beans!). Definitely better than I was expecting from the reviews but £75 is expensive when compared to the quality of the Richard Onslow (although breakfast was better) and I think £60 would be more realistic.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SasW
Reviewed 1 February 2014

It's Saturday night, the clock has just gone 23.40, and we're lying wide eyes awake in bed, cursing ourselves for not having read the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking earlier today.

Outside our window (room 3), rowdy revellers drink into the night, chatting away in drunken voices. Beneath us, a DJ's boombox is vibrating our bed. This might explain why they don't serve dinner on a sat night.

The room is pokey, the pipes make a rattling sound similar to a cat being strangled. The carpet is stained. The decor is ghastly. The threadbare linen dates back to the 70s.

My fiancée and I have stayed in many hotels - this is one of the worst. We've found better youth hostels than this hell hole!

Avoid like the plague - less you want to catch it!

• Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank Tobias M
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have never been to somewhere where I was treated so rudely by staff members as this place.

The landlord was ignorant and rude, when I went to the bar for a drink it was a busy night and they stacked up all the seating so that no one could sit down. When a few people asked him if they could sit down he said no it was too busy.
I asked to get a sampler of the ale (common practice in a lot of pubs) and honestly the barmaid acted as if I had said something incredibly offensive. She made me feel about 1cm tall before rudely said 'never had anyone ask THAT before'

I can honestly say I would never, ever come back here and would advise anyone to go find somewhere else where the staff treat customers like humans rather than dirt.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank DebbieMorgan84
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a room next to the road with single glazing where the windows wouldn't shut! Someone flushed a toilet at 3am 3 times which woke me, dried moldy milk left in a cup, plastic cup in the bathroom was covered in crap, however the shower was quite powerful. Overall, poor. Stay elsewhere!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business