“Riding "The Gallops" in Surrey”

Horse Riding Surrey
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Cranleigh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Horse riding and horse riding holidays near Guildford in the heart of the stunning Surrey Hills open 7 days a week with competitive prices and friendly staff
Reviewed 22 June 2014

As an avid horse person who rides about 3 times/week (trails and dressage in Texas), I was eager to try riding in the English countryside. The description of Horse Riding Surrey caught my eye because they described "Off the track Thoroughbreds". I own and ride an OTTB myself and am always happy to see people help these fine animals find new jobs after their racing career is over. I was in London on business for two weeks. Over the weekend I booked a Morning and Afternoon ride on Saturday and a Morning ride on Sunday. Each outing went a bit different direction and offered beautiful scenery as we went through woods and villages. "The Gallops" is an opportunity for the horses to flat-out run. They love that but if you aren't eager to sit an english saddle and let an ex-racehorse fly then it might be a little much!

1  Thank Jamie E

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was my first experience of horse riding, and I loved every minute of it. The value was excellent and our teacher was wonderful. To be honest, I don't remember any sights. I was too in love with the horses we were learning on - they were gorgeous!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Would not recommend for riding lessons. My daughter is a 16yr old intermediate rider who attended a trial lesson here with a pal whilst their usual first rate riding school temporarily closed. It was a windy day so we fully expected a call cancelling the lesson but were told it was OK to proceed in the outdoor arena (the roof of the stables had blown off that morning). Both girls were asked to ride without stirrups - the horses were very lively in the wind and when the other horse began bucking my daughter stopped to see how her friend was doing and was shouted at and told to canter in small circles again without stirrups. At that point my daughter's horse went crazy and started to gallop towards the perimeter fence. She's an experienced jumper but not at that height and with no stirrups she couldn't pull the horse up. In the end she threw herself off, hit her head on the fence and suffered severe concussion with 6 weeks off school. To be fair, the owner didn't deliver this lesson and called me that night to explain that she really should have overseen it and, in hindsight, should not have allowed it to go ahead. We were offered free lessons etc. as a result but didn't feel confident that rider safety is of prime importance.

7  Thank AJC765
Reviewed 16 June 2014

we had inexperianced riders on our ride and they weren't able to control their horses which led to an unenjoyable ride, and an incident so I will not be returning.

3  Thank JonHearn
G7895BLAlex_M, Owner at Horse Riding Surrey, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2014

Please note that this review is based on an experience with the previous business "Hopeful Earl Riding Stables" and NOT with Horse Riding Surrey Ltd.

Thanks

Alex Marsh

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was treated to an afternoon Hack for my birthday by my friend Sandra, we had a brilliant time, horses were gorgeous and the staff were very friendly and made you feel welcome and scenery was lovely.