“Wonderful Hotel,but very disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

RH Bayren Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Gandia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Scotland
“Wonderful Hotel,but very disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed at the Beautiful RH Hotel Bayren Playa de Gandia 31/03 - 06/04/2014. room 327 had the Sun from 12 mid day- 19.00 , the room was very hot. So I switched on the Air Conditioning, to try and cool down the room only, to discover that the cold air function did not work and oly hot air was available. i contacted reception to explain that i could not get any cool air and room was very hot, I was told that was right, and only hot air was available at this time of year, and I was to open the large sliding door onto the balcony. So I did this and it did help cool the room down slightly. On Friday and Saturday 4th and 5th April the weather was extremely hot 28' Sun, Sun Sun all day, and the bedroom was like a sauna and uncomfortable. On the Night of Saturday the 5th April the Local Night club "Bacarra" (2 streets away) Opened about 23.00 until 07.00 on the Sunday , how do I know the opening times, because I was kept awake all night by very very loud, Music being pumped out by the DJ, It felt as if my bedroom was in the middle of the Disco and of course I could not close the bedroom sliding door, as the heat in the room was still very hot. When they advertised that RH Hotel Bayren is a 4 star Hotel, you would expect that the Hotel is air conditioned throughout the year and at your choice. The facilities at this Hotel are fantastic, staff friendly and food good, but my stay was completely disapointing by the lack of Air Con and the terrible noise fron the Local Night club, I would have to think twice about staying here again. I did complain about the issues to reception and at check out but got no response. I would be very interested in a response from the Hotel Management ?

Room Tip: Noise from local night club was very disturbing, and not helped by the lack of cool Air conditioning...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank GaryThomasHScotland
VicenteFrasquet, Gerente at RH Bayren Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hello GaryThomas

Thank you for taking time to share your opinion of our “beautiful hotel” with fellow travellers. We have put a lot of effort into making the Hotel what it is.

On the other hand please accept my apologies that you didn’t have the best possible stay, believe me, I'm sorry. I also apologise for the fact that your discontent was not fed back to me in order to discuss this with you personally.

Certainly the first Friday and Saturday of April we experienced very warm weather and temperatures were higher than the average , something that we all enjoyed, though it's a shame, it is the reason that resulted in your subsequent dissatisfaction.

Our heating and cooling system is made to work with heating or air conditioning, but not at the same time. This installation is a much more eco-efficient system but obviously on this occasion not to your satisfaction.

The change of heating to air conditioning project it this year scheduled for mid-April, BUT always taking into account weather stability, once we are sure we are not going to have a change back to cooler weather we will switch over.

I sincerely regret that on having your balcony door open that the noise from the street disturbed your sleep. I will speak to the business in question and raise our concerns about the noise in the early hours. After midnight the noise should not disturb any residents in the vicinity. I think that maybe it was revellers in the street leaving the place. I am sorry sometimes these type of incident’s are unavoidable.

I hope my explanation helps in some way understand the situation and also hope that you return to the hotel so we can restore your faith in us.

Thank you and hope to welcome you back soon
Kindest Regards

Vicente Frasquet - Manager

RH Hotel Bayren & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

... except for the female receptionist who qualifies for the ´fascista de idiomas' award for dubious customer service, changing to English without asking just because she wanted to practise. My partner is Spanish and doesn't speak English,the booking was in his name in Spanish too and we always speak in Spanish. How ridiculous! She should learn to respect the customer more, not change languages aggressively and without asking. She's medium to tall height, worked there in October and has (bleached) blonde hair. And we never got the WiFi working with the password she gave us either - but couldn't be bothered (and didn't want) to speak to her again [ni entrar tampoco en una batalla de idiomas] -so just gave up. She even scowled later when she cocked an ear and monitored our group passing the reception desk and noticed me speaking fluently with Spaniards. Go figure .... Because of her the service is listed as three stars. If she hadn't been there it ould have been 5* because everyone else was great.

Apart from that we were VERY happy with the hotel, the very pleasant and agreeable service from the young male and young female receptionists on arrival, the modern room with nice bathroom and quite comfortable bed, and the restaurant food (even though it was a bit noisy, but they often are in Spain).

Great location opposite the beach, nice terrace/poolside bar and we would certainly be happy to consider booking it again if we were in the area. Just as long as that receptionist form hell isn't there and the other two are. Manager please take note!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank veomar
Gandia, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for five days last week and were very disappointed with the overall experience. Rated as number 1 out of 25 hotels in Gandia we expected something special. We didn't get it. The hotel is situated on the main promenade in Gandia and the setting is excellent. Directly opposite the beach and near to most amenities of the beach. The hotel has just undergone an extensive overhaul but is sadly let down by poor service, total lack of atmosphere and terrible food. When we arrived we were asked to pay the full amount immediately. I did this and only later found out that we had been charged more than the confirmed reservation. Upon reaching the pleasant room, large, light and airy with a partial sea view and huge bathroom we found out that the advertised air conditioning did not exist. Having spoken to reception we were informed that A/C was only available in the summer. As the temperature in the room was around 28C I would call that summer. This is annoying and unacceptable penny pinching. If a hotel advertises that it has air conditioning then it should have it working all year round and not just when it suits them. We were provided with a small fan which helped but was not a substitute. However, the largest complaint we had was the almost total lack of service and the small choice and even smaller portions of food. Forget the advertised world class chefs, the sumptuous buffets and the local specialities such as paella and fideua. They don't exist - at least not when we were there. Instead we were offered a single typed sheet of paper offering a choice of just two starters, two mains of meat or fish and three desserts. For a four star hotel this is pathetic! The meals were served by a single lone waiter who did his very best to serve 28 guests single handedly. Again the lack of staff is inexcusable. The food itself was boring, badly prepared (I can't really use the term cooked as some of it wasn't) and some of the smallest portions I have ever seen in a hotel. I have had better meals in beachside cafes than we had here. Everything gives an impression of cheapness from the vast, empty reception/lounge area to the nasty plastic flowers on the dining tables, from the lack of staff to the small portions served. On our first evening we were offered a mackerel salad which was quite nice except for a lack of much mackerel. The main course was a steak which was frankly disgusting. I should have realised when I was not asked how I wanted it prepared. In fact it was rare but still very tough. My wife had a tiny chicken leg which could have come from a well fed pigeon. The vegetables, green beans and mushrooms looked and tasted as if they were tinned and the 'baked' potato was obviously microwaved and hard in the middle. The dessert was an obviously bought in option probably form Iceland. After dinner we were both still hungry. Thankfully there is a Burger King just along the road where we had another meal which was hotter, better prepared, tastier and considerably cheaper. We hoped that this was a one off problem but at breakfast the next morning, still served by the same lone waiter, the problems continued. There was no hot food provided at all despite more promises of fantastic buffet spreads. The usual cereal, fruit and some rather tired ham and cheese were offered. Very disappointing! The evening meals all followed the same dismal standard of the first night as did the following breakfasts. By Wednesday however, there was a slight improvement with the offering of an omelette. When we tried to use the swimming pool we were told we had to pay an entrance fee of 10 Euros each per HOUR! This is extortionate! We have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and hardly ever been charged just to enter the spa. For treatments - yes, of course but not for entry. The whole stay was a disappointment from start to finish. The overall impression is that the hotel is being run at the lowest levels of service and food provision during the winter season while they are obviously awaiting the return of the tourists when hopefully the standards might be raised. However, we can only comment on what we were offered which was not very much. Top marks for location. Poor marks for service and no marks for the food. We were intending to stay for another week this week but decided early on that that was a non starter. We would rather try elsewhere and suggest you do too.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel! We would never stay here again and can't recommend that anyone else shoul...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bill T
VicenteFrasquet, Gerente at RH Bayren Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Bill T,

Thank you for your recent contribution on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at the RH Hotel Bayren & Spa.

First and foremost I would like to express to you my deep concern for not having fulfilled your expectations. Please accept my most humble apologies.

After re-reading your review I can see there are two points on which there is some confusion and a third point on which we have failed to understand, I will start with the first two.

Our pools are free of charge, however when using the SPA there is a charge. At the time of booking we do not include the charge of access to the spa in the room rate as we believe this is an optional extra and each guest can choose if they wish use it or not. Please note however all our guests resident in the hotel receive a 50% discount off the price. With respect to the duration of the thermal circuit, we are very flexible.

Throughout the year we have the hotel air conditioning functioning, for reasons of efficiency, in our hotel and in the vast majority, air conditioning is centralised and the scheduled works in the winter months on heating and the summer months on cooling. As you know we have an excellent climate and the week that you visited or hotel, it was warm, something we can all enjoy but didn’t last, but believe me when the sun sets and being by the sea in February we are grateful and so are our guests to have the heating in the room.

On the third point, I have not managed to understand, your dissatisfaction regarding the menus. It is true that during the week in the absence of many diners, we opted to do a menu rather than a buffet. A buffet for so few people is not satisfactory, the food goes cold and gets wasted, and that is something that makes me very sad. Our menu changes daily and there are two salads, two meat dishes, two fish and three desserts. I deeply regret not having understood your dissatisfaction and therefore apologise. With reference to the amount of food served it is something that is very easily resolved, always if you want to repeat any dish, there is no problem to request an extra dish, with respect to the quality, seems I understand that you would have preferred something more regional, or local such as Paella or Fideuà, please believe me I will review this point and include them.

Thank you for your feedback and helping us to improve, I hope I have explained the first two points and again apologise for having failed to understand the subject of meals which caused your disappointment.

I hope that in the future you give us an opportunity to restore your faith in or hotel. Please convey my apologies to your wife.

Kindest Regards

Vicente Frasquet – Manager

RH Hotel Bayren & Spa
Chipiona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Incredibly beautiful hotel with a wonderful ambiance, architectually pleasing with clean clear lines. One has to mention Jesus, a wonderful gentleman in command of the bar and all who enters with his pleasing smile. Although out of season, the meals were buffet style, beautifully layed out with helpful staff on the occasion of "a la carte" absolutely faultless.
The rooms, as with the lounge, were asthetically pleasing. One only has superlatives for the hotel and staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaretha l
Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Very good location on the beach street. Clean and nice hotel. Tasty breakfast with possibility to order fresh pancakes, cooked on your eyes.
As it's a spa hotel you can smell it, but it doesn't bother at all. Service is great, we missed hot water on the second day and after informing reception it was fixed. Overall feeling about hotel is super, good for beach vacation. Nice sea view even from the ground floor.

Room Tip: Higher floor could be preferred to avoid noisy ladies with noisy shoes at night time and party peopl...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Visited the hotel during a short trip to Ghandia.
We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed the place.
+++ you cannot be any nearer to the beach (it's across the road, next to several restaurants/bars)
++ the hotel has undergone recent renovation, rooms are spacious and the furniture is new. The room include a flat screen TV with foreign channels.
+/- the rooms are tipically furnished for a beach holiday - do not expect carpets or similar.
++ A big THANK YOU to the hotel staff. My partner is sensitive to pollen/dust and experienced problems when entering the room. Hotel reception took action immediately and we found the room desinfected after a very short while.
+/- Pool area is nice although in our view a bit small compared to the hotel size. We liked the open bar (which is open during nights and serves all sorts of cocktails @ reasonable prices).
+ Private hotel parking is available although plenty of spaces are available on the streets surrounding the complex.
+ Breakfast buffet is included in the price and offers more than enough to get your stomach filled. (Several types of breads, selection of sweets, ham/smoked salmon, omelette etc.)
If you're looking for an upscale beach hotel in Gandia, don't look any further!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view room (backside rooms are ok, but do not offer scenic views)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Miguel957
Bansko
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We hadn't pre-booked and walked into reception, they matched booking.com price. We took a sea-view room and were very impressed indeed. The hotel feels brand new though we stayed at the end of a busy summer season. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom lovely. Breakfast was excellent, lots of choice and very fresh. We loved the lobby bar and pool bars, very comfortable places to sit and catch up on emails or relax and reasonably priced drinks for such a smart, well located hotel. The one major thing that stops us rating this hotel as 5 was the internet. They need to fix this or they will lose business clients as well as other clients. They have a weird system where you get a ticket which gives you 5 hours internet. When it runs out you get another ticket, not much fun if you are in your room. Also we found that on average 1 out of 3 tickets would work and you had to punch the number in each time your device went to sleep - mega frustrating!! Apart from that really great hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business