“This jewel justs keeps getting better”
Review of Casa de Las Flores

Casa de Las Flores
Ranked #1 of 10 Tlaquepaque B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 January 2007

This little jewel of a property in the calm suburb of Guadalajara is a real retreat from the outside world. The gardens are fantastic, the hosts (Stan and Jose) are knowledgeable, friendly and really know how to run an inn. All of the staff are very helpful. But the real attraction is this gorgeous little property on an unassuming street just a few blocks away from the plaza. Tlaquepaque is a short (and easy) bus or cab ride from downtown Guadalajara but is one of the most easy-going places in all of Mexico. You will only feel safe here. I've been fortunate to be a guest several times and the gardens (and the art/ceramica!) just keep looking better and better. I recommend this to all of my friends traveling to the Guadalajara area and it keeps winning new friends.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erik V

Reviewed 7 December 2006

I'm ready to move in. I'm coveting the home Stan and Jose have created, and we're lucky that they share it with travelers. Stan is an incredible chef, Jose is an amazing gardener, and together they collect antiques and art that make Casa de las Flores a wonderful oasis. The guest rooms are private and large and are also furnished with unique tiles, ceramics and art.

• Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank LeahSF
Reviewed 3 December 2006

We had such a wonderful experience at Casa de las Flores in Tlaquepaque (Guadalajara). It was highly recommended by friends and was as good as they proclaimed! Stan and Jose are gracious hosts and it is beautiful maintained and decorated bed and breakfast in the heart of the charming village of Tlaquepaque. They also can provide their guests with art and shopping guides as needed. This was a most wonderful stay, we just wish we had planned to stay longer.

Reviewed 9 November 2006

At the end of our 6 day sister-city delegation trip to Colima, we decided to stay on for one additional day in Tlaquepaque, a city we had visited in the past. I heard of Casa de las Flores through word of mouth and decided to check it out myself. I rang the doorbell, which is situated on the beautifully ornate tile facade. Seconds ticked by when the door opened - and my eyes widened in amazement. Before me was the most wonderful selection of Mexican art I've ever seen in one location. Walking further through the great room, with a fireplace one can only describe as a work of art, comfortable chairs and couches and plenty of reading material gives this room a cozy feel, even with the 2 1/2 story ceiling. My eyes were next drawn to the garden. This is the heart of Casa de las Flores.The intimate garden, with meandering paths and cozy "rooms" with fireplace, tables and benches are artfully scattered throughout. I sat in the garden and let my eyes wander over all that was around me. Everything has been done with the eye of an artist, and the result is magnificent.
On to the guest building in the back, with balconies, wrought iron and tile decorations. The junior suite we stayed in was incredibly comfortable. A pitcher of purified water sat on the divide between the living room and the bedroom. The bathroom has great water pressure and light. The complimentary breakfast was the best - fresh fruit soup was served first - and it was delicious. The Chez Panisse background of our host came through with this creation. I'd love to have his recipe! Next, we were spoiled with fresh baked empanadas, filled with custard - they were melt- in- your mouth delicious. Cereals, fruit and fresh brewed coffee finished the meal - This short stay was not enough - the hospitality of our hosts is exemplary and their attention to all details made this stay so enjoyable. We will definately return.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank sfobasedtraveler
Reviewed 5 October 2006

After reading other reviews, it is clear that there is little left to say about this absolutely special B&B. I will add that during our stay I experienced a medical 'emergency'. I was in dire pain and Stan offered to call his personal physician to make a house call. He also offered to interpret as I don't yet speak spanish. I decided to call my physician in the US first and Stan showed me how to use his Vonage line which worked wonderfully and at no cost to us. My physician prescribed a medication and Stan called ahead to the local neighborhood pharmacy so it was waiting when we arrived. I feel lucky and grateful to have found Casa de Las Flores. We will never have to look for another place to stay when we're near Guadalajara as we have already found the best.

Chris & Laura

P.S. The chocolate mousse was superb! :-)

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ldean
Reviewed 11 September 2006

It had been a little over 2 years since my last stay at the Casa de las Flores, and I really enjoyed my stay then. However, when I walked through the door into the main hall on my recent visit in September 2006, I was "wowed" by the results of their recently finished remodeling. The main room, which is an ideal gathering space for visitors, is stunning----the large and high chimney filled with Mexican artesania is beautiful and shows great architectural vision. Likewise, the outdoor patio now has been improved and is even better than before, protecting the visitor from rain and sun. The breakfasts are wonderful---the owner personally makes his own fabulous recipes. Lunch and dinner can always be quickly ordered in if you care to.

This Bed and Breakfast is fabulous and not to be missed. The owners and staff are friendly, helpful and go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. A 5-star review---you will be sorry if you miss a visit to the Casa de las Flores.

4  Thank wisconsin-usa
Reviewed 26 August 2006

At a time of worldy turmoil Casa de las Flores is and continues to be a peaceful, safe and lovely environment. To call it a place where one of their amenities could be more outstanding then another would be folly. The composite graces of beautifully designed spaces, lavish gardens, good food , and kindly staff take Casa de las Flores to a niche that cannot be easily shared with anyone else. I have been staying at Casa de las Flores for over 10 years and with each visit I conclude that there could be nothing else they could add to improve my stay , however, when I re-visit I am always proven wrong. ...Stan and Jose have taken the concept of Bed and Breakfast to an all time high that is not easily duplicated. I have traveled throughout Mexico and have many happy memories of my visits to this country, however, Casa de las Flores is the only place whose memories keep bringing me back . I have had business meetings, family vacations with grandchildren and just quiet visits with friends at Casa de las Flores. From all perspectives Casa de las Flores fulfills all my expectations.

2  Thank Kenis