“Bad Service from bar staff”

Hotel El Tapatio & Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Tlaquepaque
Los Angeles, California
“Bad Service from bar staff”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The hotel itself is very old... and it shows in all of the installations - rooms, conference halls, common areas, restaurant. However some of that age has its charm - in the lobby for example. The rooms however, are anything but charming (standard room) they have an old ugly carpeting in the sleeping area, and the Head boards of the beds are cover in ugly vinyl/plastic material... They can do much better.
As another reviewer said that the WIFI signal strength is poor and I had the same experience. In the room I had NO access at all, only in the common areas could I get some signal. I called the reception about 5 times to help me with the issue, each time they said they would try and nothing changed. This is really dissapointing since they advertise "Free WIFI in all rooms" ... They just never mention it won't work.
Lastly, the service at the lounge/bar club was horrendous, as an overnight guest you have free access - so I went in to see how the place was. The doorman was following me the entire time inside, and said if I didn't have a table to sit at I was asked to leave. I got mad and told him I want to speak to his manager, and also made him very aware that I was a guest at the hotel and that he was ridiculous with his request - I must have been there for only 5 minutes. I didn't want to stay any longer and went to the management to complain. I was given the name
Martin Garcia as the General Manager and will file a complaint with him.
The staff at the club/lounge needs to be educated or changed out.
I would *not* reccomend this hotel based on my experience.

Room Tip: Don't count on having WIFI, and there are quite a bit of ants on the property in the "700...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bigjuble

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 December 2012

This was our second stay at the hotel. We actually had no reason for staying there other than I simply wanted to go back to that tranquil atmosphere and gorgeous view, at least for one day and night. The rooms have the typical old Mexican style tile floors and are as spacious as you can imagine, our balcony was a plus. The staff could be friendlier and more accommodating, but once you ask for the manager things run every so smoothly. Breakfast is always a chance to savor the very Mexican menu. I loved the chilaquiles, OMG, to die for! Unfortunately, the pool was being cleaned and sanitized so we could not use it. We spoke at length with the head of the restaurant staff. He was extremely friendly, professional and helpful. He took us by the pool and overlooking the city, explained to us where everything was. We were very glad he did as we had a totally wrong concept of where Tonalá was as opposed to Tlaquepaque and downtown Guadalajara. It was truly a great experience to have requested his help. He gave us tips as to where to go and how to get there. He mentioned there was live music on Sundays during the Sunday brunch, which we were unable to attend. Once again, El Tapatío is a place to be remembered!
If you are reading this review, please give a thumbs up, it is important to know that the reviews are helpful. Thank you.

Room Tip: I suggest asking for the rooms overlooking the pool (when it is open). They cost a bit more but if...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BettyMelinda
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This hotel sits high on a hill, gated entrance with very nice gardens and pool. Easy access to Tlaqupaque and the glass factories at Tonala. Very secure gated car parking right in front of your room. Breakfast is good but skip the other meals. The rooms a a little dated but the garden side rooms are nice and quiet. The rooms looking over the city are large but very noisy with truck and bus traffic. Good service, changed rooms quickly when I asked for a more quiet room. Front desk is friendly but a bit slow. Great Mexican buffet breakfast. Extremely safe. Left our SUV packed for two days including surf board on roof rack. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Pool side or garden side rooms on the airport side are quiet, city side rooms have views but are ver...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for our tenth anniversary. The price was very good for such a spacious room. The furniture was a little out dated, but the architecture was beautiful. There was a very friendly staff (most of whom spoke fluent English) who were very able to help with all our needs while in the city. We plan on staying here for all of our return trips to Mexico.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms on-line
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Great reception. Attentive staff. Huge rooms. Lovely gardens and overlooks all of the city. Nice heated pool. Old style service and great food. Could use a bit of upgrading on bed. Pillows were a bit lumpy and the mattress was a bit hard for me but my companion was delighted. I've always loved this place, nice patio to sit at outside our room and have great Mexican coffee made in room which is not available in many Mexican hotels.

• Stayed November 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We had stayed for a couple of days at the hotel, and decided to come back a week later for a night more on our way back to Mexico City from the coast. We didn't have a reservation and fixed price this time, but thought that since we had just been there that would not be a problem. We drove up, my wife went in and got a rate,which we accepted. We then had the luggage unloaded and went in to check in. Big surprise: Suddenly the rate was much higher than the one my wife had gotten 3 minutes earlier!!! - "You got to be joking" was our comment to the very unfriendly guy at the reception, but NO! - We decided not to accept such a behaviour, and went back to our car to leave. On the way out, our suitcase's handlebar was destroyed by the personnel.When we were just about to drive off, another receptionist came out and "tried" to lower the rate, but we had enough and went away. What a welcome! - Never again will we stay at this hotel, and that's a pity because the hotel itself with restaurants etc is quite nice, but the service from this one guy in the reception whose name we unfortunately didn't get, (he looked like a complete stoneface) really sucks!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank travelman370

Travellers are raving about these Tlaquepaque hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was there for a week and when I read the reviews I thought, well how bad could it be I have stayed at camp sleeping in the floor! HOW WRONG I was! Well sleeping in these beds was a terrible nightmare. The disco at the hotel is very nice and the view is better. I will not stay again unless I know for a fact that the old mattresses were replaced. I guess this is the only thing I dint like about the hotel, other than that it’s a quiet place to relax and the staff is friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Angel V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tlaquepaque
Quinta Don Jose Boutique Hotel
Casa Armonia
Casa Armonia
#7 of 11 in Tlaquepaque
Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Las Torres

Been to Hotel El Tapatio & Resort? Share your experiences!