“Convenient and Comfortable”

Hotel El Tapatio & Resort
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Tlaquepaque
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I stayed at the El Tapatio on a three day business trip. Although the hotel is dated, it is very comfortable and clean, with large rooms, great breakfast, and a friendly and helpful staff. The view is spectacular, and I really enjoyed working on my private patio with a view over the city. I was looking for a hotel with some local charm, and I found it here. I would stay again on my next visit to Guadalajara.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Carl C

Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel previously. It is always a pleasure to return to. It is close to the airport and close to many great restaurants and attractions. It is on a hilltop with a great view in all directions of the city. It is very open and spacious with large grassy areas.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank hytecher09
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The hotel itself is very old... and it shows in all of the installations - rooms, conference halls, common areas, restaurant. However some of that age has its charm - in the lobby for example. The rooms however, are anything but charming (standard room) they have an old ugly carpeting in the sleeping area, and the Head boards of the beds are cover in ugly vinyl/plastic material... They can do much better.
As another reviewer said that the WIFI signal strength is poor and I had the same experience. In the room I had NO access at all, only in the common areas could I get some signal. I called the reception about 5 times to help me with the issue, each time they said they would try and nothing changed. This is really dissapointing since they advertise "Free WIFI in all rooms" ... They just never mention it won't work.
Lastly, the service at the lounge/bar club was horrendous, as an overnight guest you have free access - so I went in to see how the place was. The doorman was following me the entire time inside, and said if I didn't have a table to sit at I was asked to leave. I got mad and told him I want to speak to his manager, and also made him very aware that I was a guest at the hotel and that he was ridiculous with his request - I must have been there for only 5 minutes. I didn't want to stay any longer and went to the management to complain. I was given the name
Martin Garcia as the General Manager and will file a complaint with him.
The staff at the club/lounge needs to be educated or changed out.
I would *not* reccomend this hotel based on my experience.

Room Tip: Don't count on having WIFI, and there are quite a bit of ants on the property in the "700...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bigjuble
Reviewed 28 December 2012

This was our second stay at the hotel. We actually had no reason for staying there other than I simply wanted to go back to that tranquil atmosphere and gorgeous view, at least for one day and night. The rooms have the typical old Mexican style tile floors and are as spacious as you can imagine, our balcony was a plus. The staff could be friendlier and more accommodating, but once you ask for the manager things run every so smoothly. Breakfast is always a chance to savor the very Mexican menu. I loved the chilaquiles, OMG, to die for! Unfortunately, the pool was being cleaned and sanitized so we could not use it. We spoke at length with the head of the restaurant staff. He was extremely friendly, professional and helpful. He took us by the pool and overlooking the city, explained to us where everything was. We were very glad he did as we had a totally wrong concept of where Tonalá was as opposed to Tlaquepaque and downtown Guadalajara. It was truly a great experience to have requested his help. He gave us tips as to where to go and how to get there. He mentioned there was live music on Sundays during the Sunday brunch, which we were unable to attend. Once again, El Tapatío is a place to be remembered!
If you are reading this review, please give a thumbs up, it is important to know that the reviews are helpful. Thank you.

Room Tip: I suggest asking for the rooms overlooking the pool (when it is open). They cost a bit more but if...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BettyMelinda
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This hotel sits high on a hill, gated entrance with very nice gardens and pool. Easy access to Tlaqupaque and the glass factories at Tonala. Very secure gated car parking right in front of your room. Breakfast is good but skip the other meals. The rooms a a little dated but the garden side rooms are nice and quiet. The rooms looking over the city are large but very noisy with truck and bus traffic. Good service, changed rooms quickly when I asked for a more quiet room. Front desk is friendly but a bit slow. Great Mexican buffet breakfast. Extremely safe. Left our SUV packed for two days including surf board on roof rack. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Pool side or garden side rooms on the airport side are quiet, city side rooms have views but are ver...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for our tenth anniversary. The price was very good for such a spacious room. The furniture was a little out dated, but the architecture was beautiful. There was a very friendly staff (most of whom spoke fluent English) who were very able to help with all our needs while in the city. We plan on staying here for all of our return trips to Mexico.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms on-line
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Great reception. Attentive staff. Huge rooms. Lovely gardens and overlooks all of the city. Nice heated pool. Old style service and great food. Could use a bit of upgrading on bed. Pillows were a bit lumpy and the mattress was a bit hard for me but my companion was delighted. I've always loved this place, nice patio to sit at outside our room and have great Mexican coffee made in room which is not available in many Mexican hotels.

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tlaquepaque
La Villa del Ensueno Hotel
Casa Armonia
Casa Armonia
#6 of 10 in Tlaquepaque
Hampton Inn by Hilton Guadalajara-Aeropuerto

Been to Hotel El Tapatio & Resort? Share your experiences!