“A Big Disappointment ..”

Quinta Don Jose Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tlaquepaque
New York City
“A Big Disappointment ..”
Reviewed 15 November 2004

After reading all the positive reviews of this B & B, I was disappointed with it. My room was small, with dangerous furniture: Right-angles on heavy glass tables that I couldn't avoid banging into because of the tight space left to walk in. I came away with a few black & blue marks from the experience.

Sleeping was difficult due to noise: from the outside and inside. Early morning kitchen noise came right into the room, as did other sounds from various parts of the garden, lobby, and hallway. It was not very restful or peaceful.

But my worst complaint is the rip off I was subjected to. Having taken advantage of the free laundry service (a nice service), I then needed some ironing done as the free service is for washing only. I was charged $10 US for ironing a few items! And it was an arbitrary price - no per item charge. Then upon checkout, the person at the desk only wanted to give me a 3% discount for paying in cash instead of the 10% that is advertised and had been provided to me in writing. I wouldn't go back there.

• Stayed November 2004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Freeport, Illinois
Reviewed 10 November 2004

When we arrived and saw the ordinary looking outside of this B&B I thought I would surely be disappointed. Then we entered the oasis that they have created and wow, our stay ended up making our trip!!! We wanted more days. The staff was as friendly and wonderful as any place anywhere in the world, and we have stayed lots of places. I would go back in a minute. We had room number 10 and loved it.

Tijuana, Mexico
Reviewed 20 October 2004

All we can say is wow! The pictures on the website will only give you a glimpse of what you will expect. It's simply the best experience we've ever had. With such a variety of different rooms to stay we chose to stay in the standard room (shared patio, 2 full size beds). Nice big room for just my husband and myself.

The staff was extremely helpful and prepared the best breakfast. I'm not a big breakfast person, but with all the variety of food offered, it was mmmm mmmm goooooood!

We were originally going to stay at the Hotel Aranzazu (downtown Guadalajara) and thank God we didn't. My mother in law stayed there and her room was terrible. It wasn't well kept and the rooms and hotel were just in poor shape. Even when my mother in law came to our hotel she was very disappointed that she didn't stay there. She said it was beautiful.

Tlaquepaque was a beauty as well. Such a variety of shops, but if you want a real deal you must head to Tonala. What a bargain!! Quinta Don Jose was very secure and we never once had to worry about anything.

All in all we'll definitely come back and stay MUCH MUCH longer!

God bless!

Eduardo & Bridget Bohorquez

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 October 2004

We had a great week at Quinta don Jose. The staff was always on hand, and always had smiles on their faces. There was always a good spread for breakfast, which included an egg dish and bean dish, cereals, fresh fruit, coffee, tea or juice. At the end of each day, we would have a drink at the bar, and mingle with other guests. The staff was always helpful in giving us directions to places to visit. We were also picked up at the airport by the owners, Art and Stella. On our next trip to Tlapapaque, we will definitely stay at this B&B again.

seattle
Reviewed 6 October 2004

Simply stated, we cannot wait to return to the Quinta Don Jose. The people who work here do all they can to cater your every need. The house and garden are beautiful. It's quiet despite the fact that it is nestled in a thriving community. Minutes from Guadalajara. Really worth staying here!
Thank you, Theresita, for all of your help!! Arturo and Estela - you know how to do things right.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 September 2004

Arturo & Estela, owners and hosts of Quinta Don Jose are a charming and knowledgable couple who have created a haven where you can truly get away from it all. QDJ has a terrific, friendly staff who are there when you need them whether for a wonderful margarita by the pool or refering you to a resturant, shop or driver for the day.
QDJ's rooms and suites, each different inviting, large and clean make this a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed August 2004
New York, New York
Reviewed 7 September 2004

What do you say when you find Paradise. How about this - I am a single woman traveling alone in Mexico for the first time. On the internet I find a B&B and it caught my eye because of the most adorable welcoming committee - a little dog that had the look of a Schnauzer and the ears of an elephant and a sweet cat.

When I got to the airport, QDJ was there with a sign, as they said they would.

After a short drive, we were at the QDJ and when the garage opened to let us in I saw a wonderful patio with a placid pool - I swam almost every afternoon. Lounging by the pool watching the hummingbirds was a joy. The weather was beautiful, warm enough for a tan, but not hot so as to be uncomfortable. My room was immaculate with 2 queen beds, amoire and lovely tiled bath - certainly large enough for a single woman.

The staff was attentive and gracious. If they weren't attending to you, they were washing windows, dusting furniture and making the best margaritas this side of heaven.

A short walk from QDJ puts you into wondeful shopping and Saturday night in the Plaza saw the most amazing assemblance of children, men and woman out for the evening buying ice cream and having a grand time. It was obvious that tourist safety was the town's primary concern.

By my comments, you might think I adored this place. Not true. After all - I want to keep this side of paradise all to myself!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tlaquepaque
La Villa del Ensueno Hotel