“El Abajeño es uno de los mejores de mejores! (Best of the the best!)”
Review of El Abajeno

El Abajeno
Ranked #7 of 100 Restaurants in Tlaquepaque
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After flying into Guadalajara and meeting up with my family, we trekked over to Tlaquepaque for what my wife had said was a surprise for me! And a very good surprise it was! Since parking in Tlaquepaque is tough to find, it was a nice touch that they had their own parking. Walking into the restaurant is impressive. You are greeted by a beautiful and traditional great patio set between large trees with a live Mariachi band setting up to play. We started with a traditional "casuela", a ceramic cook pot full of fresh squeezed mixed citrus with choice of tequila on the side to be poured in and savored! My idea of a perfect drink after flying! The botanas (appetizers) included some truly grand guacamole and chicharrones (fried pork skins) that were the best I have ever tasted. The salsas were excellent. I was thinking just how I was going to make it to the main course after such a feast ahead of the feast. But the relaxed atmosphere and the unhurried pace of a serious lunch at El Abaneño stretched out the time so we could truly enjoy a magnificent meal. I had the enchiladas poblanas and they were spectacular. My wife had the costillas al tamarindo, ribs cooked in tamerind marinade, and I tested them and they were tender and savory. Our sons had pescado empanizado (fried fish) and sabanas rancheras (tenderloin ranch style). Seriously yummy, everything and service was impeccable and attentive. I cannot think of any part of the experience at El Abajeño that wasn't just right!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The tequila sunrise is a bowl of fruit you squeeze for juice and add the tequila and start the party! Birria was perfect, fish was good and the arrachera tender and delicious. Mariachis were true originals, wonderful time after exploring Tlaquepaque!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I went here the last day of my trip and wished In had gone on the first. The restaurant is buzzing with people , waiters and Mariachi 's that sing at your table if you like! The food was great , I had creeps with mushrooms , flor de Calabasa , and nopales ! It was just delightful and the shopping in the area is fantastic . All kinds of artisania items , clothing , nick nacks , fine quality to trinkets items. Just love this area ! A must

2  Thank lkeiter
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was one of the first nicer restaurants we went to at the beginning of our 2 month holiday in Mexico. First of all the decor, ambience and just general aesthetic beauty of the restaurant are so inviting. Tlaquepaque has many restaurants built in old mansions like this, so its well worth the taxi ride from Central Guadalajara to get here. We highly recommend the tequila- citrus bowl, it was a delight to squeeze and drink.

All the food was marvellous quality, great complimentary chips, salsa and sauce starter; fried (quesadillas?) or tacos with several meats, soup, all good. My only qualm was the Argentinian smoked beef - which was a little chewy and oily - like it had been refried, and that was only some pieces. Otherwise the staff were outstanding and the Mariache group singing at the time was superb quality.

What a great place, highly recommend! You can see a write up with a reference to this restaurant here: http://www.tasteflutter.co.nz/the-rise-fall-how-to-travel-guadalajara-jalisco/

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Oasis hidden back from the street - even has English menus if you need them. I ordered in English (mistake!) the Goat but received lamb but it was good anyway. Service and appetisers were great. Lunch with beer for the 2 of us including mandatory 10% tip was 330 pesos.