“Wow! What a fabulous place.........unique and wonderful. A must go to.”
Review of El Nahual - CLOSED

El Nahual
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Wow! What a fabulous place.........unique and wonderful. A must go to.”
Reviewed 5 February 2011

This is the most amazing fine Mexican food restaurant I have ever been to. Living in Mexico for 6 years, you can trust that it is worth the visit, I can't wait to get back to Guadalajara to try more dishes from the menu. It is rare to find a restaurant I want to try most EVERYTHING they serve. I had pork tenderloin stuffed with ricotta cheese, corn and a green herb , served smothered in a fresh plum/cinnamon sauce. Over-the-top delicious. Appetizer was a piece of Panella cheese that had been rolled in Oregano and basil and then baked until light crispy and served drizzled in olive oil. The soup was called "2 colors". It was 2 different soups poured side-by-side in the bowl. One side was a homemade light cream tomato soup and other side was a light cream Huitlacoche soup.Huitlacoche is the black fungus that grows on corn, considered a delicacy. Not only was everything scrumptious, it was a beautiful presentation.
My husband and I shared the cheese, each had a bowl of soup and then shared the main course because we were so full from the appetizer and soup, we couldn't dream of eating a full meal each. We walked out stuffed to the gills and happy we stopped in. After having 2 beers each our bill came to under $50, including tip. Well worth every penny spent.
The restaurant is fabulous in every way.......... the food, the live music, the staff and the decor is perfect in every way. I HIGHLY recommend El Nahual.

• Visited January 2011

Calgary, Canada
“Superb Mexican-Italian food, emphasizing local ingredients, in delightful surroundings”
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Nahual was an unexpected delight in every way, from the excellent service (in serviceable English) to the attractive surroundings, to the well-chosen menu, to the extraordinarily good kitchen.
I had a salmon filet prepared with leeks and white wine that still, two days later, sets my mouth to watering as I think of it. I don't know what the magic touch entailed -- probably just the exactly correct amount of, what, cilantro? -- but it was the finest salmon preparation I have ever had, and I've been a salmonizer for about forty years, on four continents.
I'm not sure why this place isn't rated more highly on Trip Advisor. It's fully the equal of Tlaquepasta, in every respect, and Tlaquepasta is my other all-time favorite. It's also very different, in decor, ambience, and general feeling. They both get my highest recommendation.

• Visited January 2011
Ajijic, Mexico
“Wish there were more people”
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Had dinner here. I had the duck in mole. Food was ok but not exceptional and was a bit pricey. The setting was lovely but only two tables occupied.

seattle, wa
“Elegant fare with traditional flavors and beautiful presentation”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

After a dozen meals at this beautiful restaurant I can honestly say that there hasn't been anything less than a delightful experience. Traditional mole sauces in various styles from the deepest Oaxacan style black mix to lighter and richly flavorful mole are slathered onto cornish game hen and other poultry. There is a citrusy, delicious leg of pork, lamb cooked as you wish (even very rare!) and a variety of fish and seafood. Soups and salad include exotic ingredients like the flavorful of cuitlacoche and heart of palm. There is a nice selection of wines by the bottle or glass and some of the best margaritas in Jalisco! The restaurant space is very ample, beautifully decorated and clean white linens add an extra element of elegance.

United States
“Delightful suprise”
Reviewed 28 January 2009

We went to this restaurant on the referral of the staff at La Casa de Flores. We were not disappointed. Order one of the house specialities. Excellent food and fine service. Very nice place.