Bitzaro Grande Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Cronulla Hotel(Kalamaki)(Great Value!)
Daniel Hotel(Kalamaki)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$40
Orbitz.com
Ionion Blue Hotel(Kalamaki)(Great Value!)
US$36
Amaryllis Hotel(Kalamaki)
US$57
US$55
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
1,516 results
All reviewspool bargold bandnext yearkiller dartsfantastic holidayfantastic hotelkiller poolair conplenty of choicefrench boulesentertainment teamno pressuretoastiesreception staffevening entertainmentdaytime activitiesfussy eater
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Just returned from a fantastic holiday with my mum
Stayed from the 7th to 14th September
Our room was clean and fresh with plenty of pillows and a good mattress
We stayed on the second floor which was close to the reception but unfortunatly a walk way to a number of other rooms in the hotel so most nights we did experience some noise, the worst was on Saturday night when I was woken at 1am and twice more at 3am and 3.10am with people talking and door slamming this did seem to get better throughout our stay however I would ask not to be in this area of the hotel if I returned
There was a fridge in the room which was a bonus and the aircon got icy cold
Unfortunatly we had little in the way of view from our balcony but didnt sit out there for more than ten minutes a day anyhow
The pool area was clean with more than enough sunbeds, tables and brollies and no one getting up at silly o clock to reserve a bed they didnt use all day
Grounds were well maintained with tennis courts with basket ball hoop and a kids playground where I had a cheeky swing one day!
I found there to be more than enough choice in food and always something to take my fancy
Drinks were poor but after a couple of days i got used to the soft drinks and managed to swig down a few alcoholic beverages although I couldnt seem to get drunk!!
One of my only criticisms would be that there really wasnt enough space between the chairs in the dining room meaning that you I was constantly concerned about blocking people in or knocking their chair and this wasnt just because I am chunky others also experienced this problem.
I do feel people should have more awareness of the economy of Greece at the moment which i feel has impacted on things like one pool bar staff and the entertainment.
I felt that everyone tried their best with limited funds. I am someone that enjoys taking part and met some lovely people who made mine and my mums holiday even more enjoyable.
We were delayed for 19 hours on our return and were put up in a real crap hole of a hotel which reinforced our belief that Bitzari Grande was top notch
Thank you to everyone staying that week esp Scottish Colin and Carol, Sandra and Paul, Colin Carol and Yvonne Carol and John and everyone that made us so welcome and helped mum look for me when I disappeared..hee hee x

Room Tip: dont choose the 200's
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Just returned 13th Sep. Fantastic location a really nice walk to the beach and very friendly local bars and restaurants especially the local bakery. Easy to get around I used taxis as they are quicker and the bus can be a little busy.
Rooms are very clean basic but absolutley fine, however switching off the aircon spoilt my holiday as i was way too hot, getting dressed in the evening was impossible with the heat in the room.
The barman in the main lobby is a pleasure to see each evening very friendly poilite and of course very good looking too ha ha.
The girl on the pool bar only makes an effort for the return guests who all seem to be having a fantastic time. The entertainment was not for me and i did not join in however a lot of people really enjoyed it and were all making friends sitting around the pool all day getting to know each other.
The chef does a good job with good quality food most of the food is geared to the British a little dissapointing when i was in Greece. However i must admit the breakfast has to be the best i have had in many hotels. Fresh pastry bread rolls greek cheese etc but the full English breakfast was to die for.
I travel three times a year as i work in travel and i enjoy visiting different places and see what people look for in a holiday. I did meet some really nice people too..all in all a good holiday.
I would recommend the hotel however i would not return to Zante.

1  Thank Yvonne333666
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Have just returned from The Bitzaro grande,stayed from 6th -13th sept..Excellent hotel,spotlessly clean,around the whole of the hotel,including the very inviting pool..As previous folks have stated the staff are great and always helpful..thoroughly recommend this hotel and definatly intend to return..

Room Tip: try for a room overlooking the pool..perfect!..preferably 2nd floor ..
3  Thank glyn l
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Just returned home on 10th September after staying here for the the 4th time. As usual the holiday was great. The staff are brilliant, the quality of the food is excellent. The rooms are spotless. The location is perfect. You couldn't ask for more in a holiday. Looking forward to next June for our 5th visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol P
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Me and my girlfriend have just returned from a 6 night stay at the Bitzaro Grande Hotel. It would have been 7 nights but the ridiculous flight times from Thomas Cook meant we arrived there on Monday morning at 9.15am completely missing out a night's stay.

Our first impressions of the hotel were very good. It is immaculate, neat and modern. The rooms are a little bit basic but again very clean. The walls on the outside and inside all look freshly painted they are that clean. The cleaners themselves are very pleasant and cleaned our room daily and folded up our bed tops so that they somehow looked like they'd been freshly ironed!

One issue we did have which could easily be resolved is the bags in the bins were a little bit small so if you put something in the bin, the whole bag slipped into the bin. This was more of an issue in the bathroom where it was quite difficult to push toilet paper into the small bin bag which meant you had to put your hand inside a bit further than you'd like.

The food choice at meals is very limited. Most of what is there is cooked and presented nicely but because there aren't many trays to choose from, if a few things weren't to our taste, it was difficult to make up a meal. My girlfriend is quite fussy so we ended up eating out on 4 occassions. Breakfast was always the same - Full English. There was also a choice of cereals but I didn't try any as the bowls were metal so I didn't fancy eating out of them. I don't have any children but I noticed that the choice of food in 'kid's corner' was pathetic. It was usually fish fingers, chips, some form of pasta and something else. I was a little bit disappointed with the salad. Greece is knowns for its salads but this hotel just had a few trays of lettuce and a tray of feta at lunch if you were lucky. There was also very little fruit and veg to choose from. A few slices of melon and grapes was the choice when it came to fruit. I expected a lot more.

All the drinks available were terrible and watery. The cola was cheap and horrible, the "fresh orange juice" was watery cordeal and I didn't even bother trying the water after reading some of the reviews on here. The alcohol was also cheap. We could just about manage the lemonade. We were very surprised that bottles of water weren't included in the all inclusive as they have been in our past holidays in other hotels. They didn't even sell bottles of water or snacks such as crisps so we had to make a lot of trips to the shop down the road.

The 'packed lunch' we ordered from reception for one of our trips consisted of just a sandwich.

Free air conditioning is supposed to be switched off on September 1st but due to the heatwave, was kept on for our stay between September 3rd and 9th. It is only on between certain hours though which I find a bit insulting when staying in a 4 star hotel. I woke up every morning at 7am when the air con clicked off and found the room warmed very quickly so couldn't get back to sleep. It was on between 2pm and 7pm and back on again at 10pm until 7am.

The entertainment in the hotel isn't to my taste. I found it to be very tacky. Bingo everyday, nothing for children, nothing for me either! One of the games during the day was called 'ice spitting'. This was done in the pool bar area and consisted of men trying to spit ice cubes as far as they could. Not really what you want when you're having a drink a few metres away. Night time entertainment was a bit loud at times and could be heard clearly and loudly at 11pm even with the doors firmly closed. The music itself was terrible in our opinion. There was nothing modern played for younger people. It would be nice to have a mix. Songs like Jolene, Sweet Caroline, Suspicious Minds and Superstitious were repeated time and time again. It was so frustrating.

The bar man inside is the friendliest person you could meet and has a chat with you and tries to remember your drink.

I do feel as if some of the staff are more friendly and chatty with the older people staying in the hotel. The receptionists shouted bye and said have a safe flight to a couple who were wheeling their suitcases out. We were literally 2 seconds behind them with our suitcases and nothing was said to us. It was quite awkward really.

Due to terrible flight times from Thomas Cook, we were only picked up from the hotel at 5am Monday morning but had to check out of the Bitzaro Grande at 12pm on Sunday so we had no where to stay on Sunday night. The whole thing was a bit odd. There was a note on the notice board to say ask can we keep our room if the flight times are later than the check out time. We did this and the girl at reception put our room number on a list and asked if we would be willing to stay at the Bitzaro Palace for 40 euros if we couldn't keep our room a bit longer. We said we would and she said said she'd know about the room the day after. We were really given the impression that it would all be sorted for us. When we checked the next day, a different girl on reception seemed uninterested in our situation and didn't even look at the list of rooms. She just said "no. You can't keep your room. We're full". She said she'd talk to her manager to see if they could fix it. We gave her half and hour and she said there's nothing they could do so we could either hire a room with a shower or see if the hotel opposite had any rooms or the Bitzaro Palace. Seeming as the Bitzaro Palace is the sister hotel, you'd think they could have tried to sort something out for us beforehand. She did then ring the Palace and said they had rooms there but it was all a bit short and didn't feel very helpful the way it was dealt with. We then stayed in the Bitzaro Palace on the Sunday night for the same price as a room in the Grande and the room we were given was awful and grotty.

Overall, I did have a good holiday and the hotel is nice, clean, in a good location and better looking than other hotels in the area but it isn't perfect and both me and my girlfriend were expecting a lot more from a 4 star hotel after seeing so many 5 star reviews. I think really it's more of a 3.5*.

1  Thank Andy L
Ghelly_Polychroniadi, Manager at Bitzaro Grande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Thank you for your review, also thank you for your nice comments on our hotel and our staff members. Yiannis, the barman, was happy to read your comment and the fact that you appreciated his effort. We do try our best to work as a team and offer our guests our best.
Your comments on the bin bag and the animation will be forwarded to the relevant staff members and used for improvement.
On your recommendations for improvement I have also noticed your comments on the choice of food. We hope in the future we will have the chance to expand our buffets and increase the selection. Allow me to present some numbers though, in our salad buffet guests can find 6 different fresh vegetables, 2 different types of olives, 2 different cheeses, 4 different sauces and some extra things, that would be for lunch while on dinner in addition to this we offer 4 different mixed salads and a wider selection of cheeses. Also during Lunch we have 2 different fresh fruits and during dinner at least 4 different ones.
I would also like to answer specifically for the comment on the drinks quality. It is true that we have faced a problem with our soft drinks, especially the ones served in the snack bar, we did try to solve it with our supplier and we will bring this to his attention again. We are thinking of changing our supplier if this is not solved.
Finally I’m sorry you were not properly informed on the late check out issue, although this is not an issue to be solved by the hotel we do make sure we provide all our late check in guests with a special information paper on this problem, also we have an announcement for this on our reception desk, thus I’m sorry you feel this negative comment should be posted on your hotel review.
Thank you once more for your review and also thank you for choosing to spend your holidays with us. We will be happy to have the chance to offer our services to you again in the future.