“Brilliant!”

Marelen Hotel
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I visited here 7th-21st July 2014 and bearing in mind this was my first time in Zakynthos. The hotel itself is a great setting and well maintained and most of the staff were very helpful especially the receptionist Vaso, I cannot praise her enough. With the exception of one of the English staff members, who I think was called Louise in my professional opinion seriously needs a crash course in customer service ASAP to rid her of the abrupt demeanour and make her much more approachable. I feel that the 'Teen Zone' needs some attention as it does seem to need refurbishing due to it looking rather drab and uninviting to teenagers. The pool is nice too however, it does seem to get rather too warm to the point where it loses its refreshing buzz. Especially after dipping into the kids Splash Pool (which is fabulous) then returning into the main pool, no exaggeration, I thought I had jumped into a hot bath. So maybe look into turning down the water heater on it perhaps? What i would say though is that the air conditioning should come with the room as opposed to an extra charge and there should be a notice regarding the TV remote for the €20 deposit in the room as we only found out about this 2 days prior to leaving. The reception area is absolutely brilliant too All in all, the hotel itself gets 3/5. But the one attraction that has made me score 5/5 is the Thomas Cook Entertainment & Kids Club Team (Steph, Will, Kelly, Nat, Sinead, Kelly, Chris & Laura) I cannot praise them all enough. They all put 150% effort into all they are doing and go way past the call of duty to make sure you are having a great time. The activities and entertainment are top notch especially the Jack & the Beanstalk panto put together by them all really made a great end to my holiday. There is not enough words to describe their efforts and they all truly made the holiday worth while. I am annoyed however that I never won the cash prize bingo once! ;) Thanks guys for a great 14 days!!! Dale. Southport

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gazumbo
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am sorry to hear that you found one of our staff members abrupt, but as the PR for the hotel she is the one who has to deal with all the difficult situations and issues that guests may encounter.
We have noted your comments regarding the Teen Zone and will be relooking at this over the winter.

The kids splash pool stays cool during the hot weather due to the pumps that spray the water. Our main pool is NOT heated, the warmth is purely due to the hot weather.
Your tour operator has contracted the rooms without air conditioning included, so this is an optional extra as outlined in their brochure. Some people still choose not to have the air conditioning even in the height of the summer.
The information regarding the TV remote is given to all guests on their arrival introduction, we appreciate that many people are tired when they arrive, so the information is also given in our "Guest Directory" leaflet which is in each room.

I have passed on all your lovely comments to our entertainers and kids club, the panto is definitely proving to be very popular this year.

Once again thank you for your comments, we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in marelen in July 14. As a family with 1 3yr old and 2 teens. Lovely place beautiful grounds well kept. It's on a nice side road 5 mins from the beach with other hotels so not isolated. And a 5min walk to kalamaki strip which has various shops and restaurants . Definitely go in yamas ! There very welcoming and the food is fantastic. There's a good selection of bars too even 2 English ones if that's what you prefer. Taxis are always around and quite cheap , didn't manage to take the bus but don't run so frequently also too hot to wait around for buses !! Lol. If you can hire a pedalo on carretta beach as we managed to see couple of turtles which was a highlight as it was more tranquil then a boat trip. The snack bar prices went too bad but the food made up for that as it was much better than we'd expected as it's a family run hotel the evening meals were even nicer . Mostly home made meals so we only ate out a few times. There entertainment day and night and all the reps where great ! All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to family's xx

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank goodgal72
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It is so nice to hear when our guests are so happy with our daytime and evening menus as we have worked hard to adjust and change them to try and suit all tastes.
I have passed on your comments to all the entertainers and reps, we hope to see you again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

this was the second time I and my family have visit the Marelen hotel < McLeod Family >
I and my family loved it, my young children who are 6 yrs and 2 yrs just loved the splash pool that much soo was a fight to get them out off it.
The staff are very friendly here and would do anything to help you, the food is lovely. the rooms are cleaned daily
Entertainment staff was good and I big thumbs up the kids club who were great with my oldest son. My oldest son joined in on the kids club this year which was great as one off the kids club staff chris was able to give him one to one support as my son has GDD and finds it had to mix with other children, and my son loved it, that much he joined in on the chocolate party and loved it.
I loved this hotel and would go again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank leeann272
Thank you for your lovely review.
It is true the kids club staff are the most popular we have ever had in the hotel, and they work so hard to make sure each and every child has a good time.
I have passed on all your comments to them all.
We hope to see you again in the future.
bolton
Reviewed 27 July 2014

this hotel has just what you need for a family holiday with young children, staff are very friendly and very accommodating. Didn't experience 1 bad thing during my 2 week stay here, the chef at the pool bar works so hard and the food never faltered, was always service with a smile, the room was cleaned and beds changed frequently - excellent! The bar staff are very attentive and know what to serve you once you have been to the bar a couple of times, the gardener is most friendly and helpful with advice on where to venture out, - again, excellent!
do not have have 1 bad word to say about my stay here, loved every minute of it and will definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sharon069Bolton
Thank you for your lovely review.
It is lovely to read that you had such a great time and could not fault the Marelen, this is what all the team work so hard to try and achieve!
Please let us know if you book to return in the future.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Once again thank you all for making our holiday memorable. Everyone from the girls on reception, Snack bar, Main bar , Entertainment team , Cleaners & of course the Mataragas family were all friendly , approachable & helpful. We had a lovely time revisiting old haunts & meeting new & old friends along the way. We love coming back each time its not just a hotel its home from home!! <3

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 57sue57
marelenhotel, Manager at Marelen Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review.
It is great to read reviews from returning guests who come back year after year.
Please let us know when you have booked again for next year!
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

been going to marelen for a few years now and we have never had any problems at all very clean all the staff are really friendly and always helpful the breakfast is great with a large choice the rooms are kept very clean by the maids great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank greens127
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It is great to read reviews from returning guests who have been coming for so many years.
Please let us know when you have rebooked for next year so we can try and block your favourite room for you!
Leicester, England
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just got back from the Marelen, had a wonderful time and the weather was perfect.

Had some great meals out on the strip as the hotel food was a nice but basic.

The entertainment and kids club staff really are excellent, I'm not going to name them as they were all great.

We didn't go on a trip to see the turtles as when we hired a pedelo they came swimming underneath us. The big water park was good and the little train into Zante Town is worth doing.

Overall we had a fantastic hoilday and would go back again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank swills64
Thank you for your lovely review.
Regarding our evening menus - we have just updated and revamped the whole menu, so now have much more of a restaurant-type menu to give more of a varied choice, and we have also added our very own-recipe carrot cake to the dessert menu.
I have passed on your positive comments to the entertainers and kids club staff, we hope to see you again in the future.