“Super Holiday”

Bitzaro Palace Hotel
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Great 2 week stay at the Bitzaro Palace. Peaceful hotel. Nice pool, great pool and lovely staff. Ignore all the negatives because you won't be disappointed. Really good value too.

Would recommend a few trips too to break the holiday up. We went to Smugglers Cove and Olympia. Smugglers Cove was too busy but it was high season, but Olympia was a great trip and well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Andy C
There are newer reviews for Bitzaro Palace Hotel

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The bitzaro Palace is small and friendly. All the staff work really hard to ensure you have a lovely relaxing break. The receptionist was really helpful, the barman works hard but as there is only one bar open, either the pool bar in the restaurant during the day or the lobby bar in the evenings, sometimes there is a queue. There are plenty of sunbeds and the pool is just the right size so that it warms up during the day. The only thing is this hotel does not provide pool towels, which is a shame when you only have 15kg weight limit on your cases, so make sure you pack one. The restaurant is small so not too noisy, there is always a table for you and the staff are quick at clearing away. The food is,lovely, plenty of choice and always hot. There is not much entertainment which suits us and nothing much for children to do, very quiet in the evenings. there is plenty to do out on the main road, bars, shops, restaurants and 7 euro in a taxi to Laganas, the party area. We had a lovely relaxing week and would definitely (never said it before) we will certainly go back again next year.

Room Tip: Only 3 floors high but third floor is best as you get a bit of a breeze. We had room 311 at the end...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kim D
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have returned from a very relaxing week at this lovely hotel. All staff are very friendly and helpful, nothing is too much bother. The food was exceptionally nice and tasty. My husband is vegetarian and always had plenty to choose from (as his waistline now shows!) :-). Out with the times for breakfast, lunch and evening meal, any snacks you wished in between was made to order making them very fresh. The lounge and bar areas were very nicely furnished creating nice relaxed areas to sit in. The rum and cokes tasted like plain coke but wasn't really a problem. We would not recommend this hotel for families as children would become bored we feel as there is only the pool which is very deep, I was only able to stand in the shallow end (only just and I am 5' 4"). While we were there the pool had very few people in it, we never stuck for a sun bed, we preferred sitting away from the pool where there were ample beds. The volume of the music playing was perfect for the atmosphere the hotel creates, no pumping noise etc, no rowdy guests etc - perfect. It was great watching the planes land and take off so close to the hotel as airport is a very close distance from hotel. Amazingly there was not as much noise as I expected and there are no over night flights. This hotel could easy be made into an adults only hotel. It is well situated, a 5 minute walk to the 'strip' where there are plenty of shops for souvenirs, bars, restaurants etc. we had a meal out one evening which we were delighted with, we both had starters, main meal (I had a steak which was huge and VERY tasty) half carafe of wine and hubby had a beer which totalled 40 euro. We booked two excursions through a company on the strip (first one you come to on the right hand side) we had a 4 hour one to see the turtles and keri caves for 15 euro which we could not fault. The other was to blue caves and the cove where ship wreck is, stunning!! This cost 25 euros again well worth the money. Thomas Cook sell for 38euro!
Now the downsides for us - our room wasn't the best room, (122) quite small and dated, downstairs from reception, the very small balcony looked onto the road (albeit the road is just guests going out of hotel and returning - just a personal choice on our part). The bathroom was fine enough with toiletries replenished when required. If I was rating the hotel on just our room I would rate it as 3 star, however all the other parts made up for it. The upside of location of room was it was a minute walk to the sun beds and to be honest how long did we spend in the room? Hardly any as we wanted to enjoy rest of the hotel and area so it wasn't a big deal. However I think if folk want to be picky this room would give them plenty to moan about but we are not that picky as we had to remember how much we paid for holiday which was a good price and unfortunately when some folks write reviews they are paying for a 3/4 star hotel not a 5star! Second downside for us was that there are no towels which surprised us as can't remember last holiday we were on this happened. We had not taken towels, having only 15kgs luggage allowance taking towels when not needed(as we thought) is big thing. Anyway, we bought towels @ 6 euro each which didn't break the bank, not heavy good quality towels but at that price you wouldn't expect them to be and they did the job and on the plus side we still have them :-). The last downside for me (nothing to do with the hotel) was the Mosquitos! They tend to love me and they went overboard with love of me there! I was bitten alive which ended up with me feeling a bit of colour for a day and a couple of sleepless nights as some ended up infected.Ended up with trip to chemist where I received anti histamine tablets/cream and a roll on. The after bite stuff I took with me did nothing! I have since heard tiger balm is meant to be good but I had never heard of that before so I don't know. I will def be sourcing it out for our next holiday in October. I have usually taken vitamin b tablets a week before going on holiday which have helped me but I was so disorganised for this holiday I didn't take which I ended up paying for! They were AWFUL bites. Despite the 3 negatives all the positives outweighed them by far. We had a great week. Thank you so much. Must also mention the maids and gardeners which I always feel they don't get mentioned enough as without them the areas would not be kept clean and comfortable for guests to enjoy . The grounds are kept beautiful by the gardeners, was lovely to see they grow their own herbs for cooking as we seen the staff picking the freshly grown herbs to take to the kitchen as with home grown tomatoes. Not many places you see this, well done Britzano Palace. Thank you once again.

Stayed: July 2014
11  Thank ev0604
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just returned back after a week at this All Inclusive Hotel. It's located 3 miles from the airport, which is a steady 10 minute ride in a coach. First impressions are great. The 2 rooms that were allocated were fresh,spacious and ample sized. The only thing that let the rooms down. There was no bottled water in the fridge, as your advised to not drink the tap water. There should be a chest of draws in each room for storage,the rooms are big enough to take one. I paid €15 to rent the safe for 1 week,the air con was free in July. The rooms spotless.

The reception area is spacious and always clean, as is the bar area. Dennis the barman does a fantastic job. But I do feel the drinks are not up to full Strength. Because there is no way I could drink the amount I did back in the UK, what I did there.

The pool and grounds are immaculate and maintained all day. I would say the pool is too deep for small children. It's 1.3 metres at one end and 2.6 metres at the other end. There is a small splash pool at one end for the kids. There is a grey and white cat that wanders around, he is very friendly and likes the cocktail sausages(hint hint) we named him Stavros the cat.

The restaurant is great, well set out. This doubles as the pool bar at 10AM. There is ample choice. I was only disappointed on one of the mid day meals. There were lamb chops and a lamb stew, no other meat choices. If you didn't like lamb, you were stuck. I would recommend cold meats at lunch time,so people could have a nice salad. The snack bar for food seemed popular and I think was too good, keeping people away at lunchtime. I would have liked more authentic Greek food in the restaurant, we had to eat out to achieve this.

The evening entertainment is not as great as a massive chain hotel ,but is ample.

We did a couple of excursions, one successful one not so. The successful one was booked through mytours on the strip €16 per adult for a 3 hour turtle boat ride taking in keri caves and swimming. More than half price what the Rep wanted to charge. The unsuccessful one through the rep.

Over all, the hotel is a great place for a relaxing stay and I would stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Welshtraveller247
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and I have just returned from spending a week at this family run hotel and with hindsight we were so pleased to have chosen The Bitzaro Palace which we booked through First Choice on an 'all inclusive basis'. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we had been so impressed with the overall standard of the hotel. On arrival we were warmly welcomed by the charming hotel receptionist Petra. Petra was always on hand to help and advise whenever needed and could never do enough for us when advice was sought. Our first impression on arrival at the hotel was very good indeed and all seemed so peaceful and calm. We stayed on the top floor overlooking the pool in room 330. We were very happy as we stepped into the room, which was spotlessly clean and well furnished. The bathroom/toilet facilities which had been refurbished were likewise and gleaming. The double bed was very comfortable and we slept well. There is plenty of wardrobe/storage space. A balcony set with marble-topped table and chairs. We took advantage of the safe for valuables at a cost of 15 Euros. If you like making tea/ coffee in your room buy a pack of six bottles of water from the restaurant at 1.60 Euros and milk from local supermarket. The restaurant facilities, selection and choice of food at all meals was amazing, catering for every possible taste. The chef was always on view and appeared to make it his business to be in the restaurant ensuring all was well. His other staff were always friendly and efficient and a special word of thanks and congratulations must go to Helen, Sophie, Tony, Tim and George. They were most efficient and so friendly at all times and couldn't do enough to please. Between meals a huge variety of hot snacks were always available but something we never availed of, given the size of the main meals service. The bar in the main building was very efficiently run by the 'cocktail mixing expert' Dennis. All drinks (incl. those served in the restaurant area during the day) were 'local' including the beer and very drinkable!! The bar was open from 6pm to midnight. The hotel facilities are designed for couples of all ages but not for families with younger children. The pool was first class and well maintained daily as are the surrounding gardens. The overall ambience of the hotel and it's surrounds was always peace and calm. Never any rowdiness or late night noise of any kind. We visited the beach, a 10 min walk away, every morning for a dip in the crystal clear waters of the Ionian Sea. A sandy beach with no rocks or stones - all very safe for bathing. One final comment and that is the hotel is located only minutes away by coach on transfer to and from the airport. Aircraft arrivals and departures are hardly noticeable. Visit the Bitzaro Palace, you will not be disappointed. We have vowed to return for a second visit. A huge thank you to all concerned!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank MalcolmC2611
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at The Bitzaro Palace Hotel in Mid May 2014 - Room 211 and found it to be a lovely quite hotel. The rooms were clean and fresh towels were provided every day with bed linen renewed every other day. We paid extra for 24hr air con, but found the maids always opened the balcony doors during the day, which de-activated the air con. Once we cottoned onto this, we made sure we returned mid day and closed the balcony door.

The Breakfast and Lunch Self Service Buffet style food was wonderful, varied and plentiful. For the evening meal we were shown to a table by staff member "Tim" and served out first course of soup by "George". The other courses were self serve. Our table was cleared during each course by "Sophie" who was lovely.

The only thing which lets this hotel down is their early breakfast for people on excursions, which consisted of a slice of cake and a glass of juice. The packed lunch left a lot to be desired a triple layered salad sandwich, but nothing else, no fruit or drink. Hardly what you would expect for "All Inclusive".

Also you have to buy a bottle of water to place in your room fridge for use in the kettle or to have a cold drink during the night, as you are advised not to drink the tap water.

Don't expect any evening entertainment - there is non - or should I say you are the entertainment. Every evening was the same game "Who am I"... Boring!!!!

Overall, we had a lovely week's stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank 312Jan_
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have just returned from a week at Bitzaro Palace and I have to say firstly that I don't understand the negative reviews on here, particularly referring to the food. We found there to be plenty of choice for breakfast lunch and evening meal to suit all tastes and we enjoyed everything we ate!! The evening meal buffet was made just a little more special by the first course of soup being waiter service (delicious thank you George) before your choice from the buffet. I am a vegetarian and I found plenty of varied dishes to enjoy alongside a fabulous salad bar. There was absolutely NOTHING we could fault!
The room we were given was verging on ballroom size with balcony to match. Room 402. Yes, the bathroom was a little compact but certainly large enough to do what you need to do in a bathroom!
Our friendly maid kept the room beautifully clean for us and towels & bedding were changed every
other day.
We did pay for the air con whilst we were there as we fortunate enough to have temps of 32 plus degrees and it was very hot at night, but we knew there would be a charge before we booked. Air con is free in July and August.
The staff were exceptionally friendly and went the extra mile to make sure everyone enjoyed their stay.
The pool is a little on the deep side and being a non swimmer i preferred the beach which is fabulous and really shallow and safe and if you venture along a bit away from the sun beds, you felt you had the beach to yourself (well sharing with the unhatched baby turtles of course).
As for reviewers saying Bitzaro Palace is not worthy of 4 stars, I have to disagree and I would certainly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday.
On a final note concerning the aircraft....yes they do fly over quite low but it didn't worry us at all. In fact it was fun to watch. All in all a fabulous holiday and don't be put off by the negative reviews.

Room Tip: Room 402 is a fabulous spacious room with the balcony overlooking part swimming pool, part garden
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank JulieW5049VR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalamaki
Bitzaro Grande Hotel
#1 of 18 in Vasilikos
Mabely Grand Hotel
Mabely Grand Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kampi

Been to Bitzaro Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!