“Butlins in Greece” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carreta Beach Holiday Village

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalamaki
Carreta Beach Holiday Village
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
fareham
“Butlins in Greece”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Food was very poor quality, almost inedible,as were the drinks, they obviously buy in bulk as cheaply as possible. Meals were like feeding time at a zoo, loads of screaming kids running round sticking their fingers in sweets.....
Entertainment was zilch, the animation team mimed poorly to mamma mia!! Bingo was our main entertainment but thank heavens for the display screen cause people talked all the way through it.
Our room was basic but clean although air conditioning had mind of its own.
Waterpark was only plus but yet again only two slides working at a time and wave pool is operated 4 x a day only. It was also very noisey with lots of screaming kids understandably.
Absolutely nothing to do for our teen unless he wanted to spend a fortune in the small arcade. The deepest pool was 1.6m!!
I can only liken it to butlins, supposed to be all inclusive but lots of additional payment needed. Excellent for little kids but no good for older ones as nothing to do. Poorest 4* we've stayed in

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank biddiss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

It was our best family holiday! The island was beautiful!
The hotel is very nice with the lot of facilities and entertainment and the staff is really friendly - especially Juliano the waiter:-)))) Thank you for all!

Gt Yarmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My family and I had never visited Greece or any of the islands before but we definitely will again. The Hotel staff and most other people that we met whilst there are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. The hotel itself is clean and modern, the food is good for all inclusive (always hot and plentiful), the waterpark is a godsend if you have water confidant kids. The only downside was the entertainment, it really was laughable some nights to the point of embarrassing ! Especially Grease and Mamma Mia !!

We went on the Smugglers Cove trip which was outstanding and on our last evening we visited the Pandesia restaurant at the end of the road for their Greek Night, it was amazing and should not be missed.

Overall I would recommend this holiday because as a family we said it was the best holiday we have had for years !

Yammas Carretta !!!!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Wellerhp
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Was getting worried before our holiday after reading some reviews but needn't have been. My 3 year old had an absolute ball and I had a great time watching him!
They fit so much into the site, with nothing too far away. Was always plenty of sun beds regardless of time of day, even at waterpark. The pools are spotless, in fact everywhere is. We had a studio, top floor in block F, not massive - but how long do u spend in your room?! Our air con wasn't working but somebody came to fix it in 5 mins, we wanted more pillows and had those in 5 mins, they are so helpful. Dogs and roosters - heard them now and again but were so worn out from our days nothing would have kept us awake! Airport is very near u can see them take off from waterpark - but that's exciting! Not too noisy.
The restaurant was fine, the usual all incl buffet - but so much choice, always hot, my can be fussy boy - never seen him eat so much, and the pizza from snack bar is so nice!
Didn't think the drinks were watered down, it's your local stuff yeah as expected but still felt a bit tipsy some nights!
The entertainment team are lovely, yes it's cheesy and to be honest didn't stay for it often as too much else to do! The kids disco was always great tho and easy to get a seat close to stage. Thomas cook reps do it mon, wed, and fri but even on the other nights its great fun, then a trip to the bouncy castles and trampolines etc - it was 10.30pm before u knew it!
Ideal location to wander to nearby bars and restaurants for a change some nights, had a couple of nice meals as a treat which we'd planned on before we went, no-one wants to eat buffet every night, but we only ended up doing this 3 nights, and had a lunch out at Laganas when we had a day at beach there which is worth a trip. Lots of restaurants with free sun beds & wifi right on beach with lovely shallow warm water. Cost us 7e in a taxi.
The Thomas cook kids club was amazing, didn't think my 3yr old would be up for it but we couldn't keep him out of it! Lovely kids & main pool and snack bar right outside so u were never far away. They made such a fuss of him, always coming to chat to him when round and about the hotel.
On site rep Tom was lovely too, he was so approachable and spent time doing kids show too.
Can't recommend this hotel enough with regards to keeping little ones entertained, which is what our holiday was all about. I never usually go back to a hotel twice as like to try different places but would definitely like to go back here.

4 Thank Nicki B
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Family of 4 2 adults 2 children aged 2 and 7

Have stayed in many 4 star hotels over the last few years although this was our first time to Greece this hotel is def more of a 3*
It hasn't been an all inclusive hotel for very long and this shows , I will start by saying that the hotel is very big which didn't bother us and is always plenty to do during the day especially for the children with the many many pools at every block and of course the water park during the day and the fun park at night this would get 4* 's from me - although I never once saw anyone clean the pools or the surrounding areas and one day there was a dog in one of them ! To which the staff didn't seem at all suprised by this ! The food was lovey and the chef made sure us and the children had something they liked at every meal time although only here for a week it was a tad repetitive but still very nice - no complaints and the staff in there literally never stop !

The rooms are a little dated and ours was quite small for the 4 of us but it's only a place to change and sleep I've stayed in a lot nicer at a 4* but it wasn't a big problem for us really !
Kalamaki is a 2 minute walk away and this made our holiday what a lovely place many bars and places to eat all very family friendly and the don't another you - or your blonde haired children ! Definitely do the carriage ride was beautiful !

Only used the kids club once and my son really enjoyed it and the kids reps do an incredible job it helps that they are all English speaking , they are always around and the kids LOVE them the same with the Thomas cook rep I've never seen a rep so committed to the hotel and he was always around getting involved with the children and the kids club as well as always chatting to everyone making sure there experience was one to remember .

As for the entertainment team they really let this hotel down they don't speak the best English or try to get you involved in much they just seem to walk around or chatting to the polish guests and the night time entertainment is the worst I have ever seen they try their best but honestly it really is a let down- hence we ended up at the fun park most evenings !

Although we did catch the satellites perform here and they were brilliant a nice change well done lads !!

Overall an ok hotel but not worth the money we paid for a week here it would be much better suited to a self catering holiday !

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank krystina b
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the Caretta Beach between the 5th and 19th of July 2014, I stayed with my wife and 2 kids aged very nearly 5 and very nearly 4 at the time of travel. We travelled with Thomas Cook.
The flight took 3 hours 20 and the hotel is literally 10 minutes from the airport so we were there in no time and at the hotel very soon after landing which was great. Check in was fast and the staff on reception very polite and helpful. We were allocated room 102 in block b (I have posted a youtube video showing the room). This room was a ground floor room right next to the main pool (the curved block you can see on the Google earth image) and I have to say was very close to the evening entertainment which happens on a stage right outside the restaurant and was also very very close to the main bar. Weeks before we flew we knew that we would be putting the kids down for a nap in the afternoon so had e-mailed the hotel asking for a room that gets the sun on its balcony in the late afternoon so we could still sit out in the sun, the hotel were very obliging and we got exactly what we asked for which was great. The hotel grounds are clean, tidy and well maintained as are the pools and the water park all the staff were really friendly and very very helpful, they were also great with the kids especially the waiters in the restaurant. The hotel has 2 entertainment teams, a Thomas Cook one and a hotel one, both were ace and the kids went to the mini disco every night and loved it. Only down side with the mini disco is that it starts at 8pm sharp, the restaurant doesn’t open for your evening meal until 7pm so you have to be quick with your food if you want to be out for the start of the disco.
The room itself was very nice, well decorated and reasonably clean, it consisted of a small kitchen area that had a fridge, microwave and kettle, a bathroom, a living area with sofa and main bedroom. The sofa had been made up into a bed for one of our kids with a camp bed placed next to it for the other child prior to our arrival which we were very pleased with, the living area is separated from the main bedroom by a pair of sliding doors which can be closed with a handle mounted on the main bedroom side of the doors, this is great as it gives you a bit of privacy from the kids when they are in bed and means they cant get into the room if you don’t want them to. There is also an air conditioning unit mounted on the wall in the main bedroom. The rooms were kept reasonably clean by the maid with the bed sheets being changed twice during our stay and the towels being changed regularly. All in all we were very pleased with the room the only real down side was that the bed was very uncomfortable and did give my wife a bit of back pain by the time our 2 weeks had come to an end. To be honest we have quite a decent bed at home so the hotel bed might not actually have been that bad it was probably that we could tell the difference and other people may have no problem at all. As I already said the room was located very close to the entertainment and even with the balcony doors closed it could still easily be heard due to how loud it was. The entertainment and bars shut at 11pm every night so for us it wasn’t a problem as we were out with the kids until around 10:30 anyway and were quite happy to sit up and have a last drink on the balcony until things has gone quiet before going to bed but be warned, if you like to go to bed earlier than 11 then block b might not be for you.
OK next on the list is the restaurant firstly I want to say that the foods was brilliant, I did not have a single bad meal, the meat was all well cooked and there was plenty of choice, you also get beer, red, white and rose wine included with your evening meal. The guys who cook on the grill really know how to cook, some of the meat they served up was fantastic and the pasta dishes were ace. As I already said the staff in the restaurant were great, they worked really hard and were great with the kids. The biggest problem with the restaurant though is that it gets very crowded and the buffet area can be thronged with people making it hard to get your food there were also daily long queue's for the grill. I get the impression the restaurant was built when the hotel was smaller and to be honest could really do with being made bigger, in short the food was great but the crowding is a bit of a down side. The only other thing I would say is that the coffee they serve at breakfast is awful, I mean really awful, if like me you like a decent brew in the morning either take some with you or buy some from a shop and have it in your room before you go to breakfast. The only other thing to add is that none of us got travellers tummy which is a first for me so the food must have been cooked correctly.
Next is drinks, in all the bars the beer taps are on the outside of the bar as are pre made cocktails and kids juices, all these are self service. The beers not too bad and my wife was quite happy with the cocktails however all are served in really small plastic cups. If you like a decent drink then do what I did and get a plastic pint pot from Asda (£1.50) before you leave and a similar one for your partner. None of the guys behind the bar mind you using your own and it means you can get a decent pint and don’t have to make so many trips, also make sure they are plastic that way you can take them into the water park too. As far as the spirits go they are the usual cheap unbranded stuff that you always get on all inclusive, they taste a bit nasty but get the job done and if you fancy some decent branded stuff they do sell these behind the bar. I would highly recommend the Greek brandy that is in a giant bottle on the main bar, doesn’t quite taste like brandy but it’s a nice drink and very strong. While on the subject of drinks I would also add that although you’re not supposed to drink the tap water (we bought bottles of mineral water from the shop) we had ice in loads of our drinks and all of us including the kids drank pre mixed fruit juices which were made with tape water on a daily basis and never had a bad stomach etc so the water can’t be that bad.
Last but not least is the Water Park and fair ground. Well the water park opens at 10:30am sharp and people were queuing from about 10:15am to get in. When the gates opened I saw people literally running to get the best sun beds so if you want to get a decent bed you’ve got to make sure you are in the queue nice and early otherwise you will end up at the back of the water park on the grass with no chance of seeing your kids in the water. Both the water park and fairground are open to anyone so you do get people from other hotels in them both, hence if you don’t queue for the water park early you lose out to others from different hotels which to my mind isn’t really fair. As far the water park itself goes its great, there’s plenty to do all day and our kids loved it. The life guards really pay attention and won’t let you do something if they think its not safe and the parks only a fields width from the airport runway which is great for watching the planes taking off and landing. The adult slides were a great laugh and all of us loved the lazy river. As a guide the water park costs 15 Euros per adult per day a and 10 Euros per child if you’re from another hotel and want to use it. The fairground itself was ok but expensive and at night was filled with all sorts of people some of whom were a little rough to say the least and were clearly not from the hotel, the kids loved the bouncy castles and trampolines but because of the cost and the other people who were using it we did not go every night. As a guide it costs 4 Euros per child for the bouncy castles but they can use them all night and come and go as they please and the trampolines cost 3 Euros for 15 minutes so for 2 kids over 2 weeks you could end up spending a fortune on it if you’re not careful.
Overall the holiday was fantastic, the people, food, weather hotel and its staff were fab and I would go back like a shot, there were a few down points as I have mentioned but then find somewhere in the world where there aren’t for this sort of price. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The only other thing I have not mentioned is aircraft noise, because of how close to the runway the hotel is you do see and hear aircraft all day, its not constant and its not that loud but you do hear it, at night I never noticed it once.

Room Tip: Blcok B very close to bar and evening entertainment, was noisy until 11pm when they shut every night...
12 Thank monkeyhands1
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here from 12/6/14 to 26/6/14
We arrived here 2 family's of 5 got sorted with our rooms as we booked with the advice of a Thomas Cook rep over the phone and the room was far to small for us as the room we were allocated was for 4 people not 5 we had to stay here for a couple of nights until other guests left and rooms became available spoke again with Thomas Cook rep and they got us changed to a bigger room as this was Thomas cooks fault. The only problem was it was 2 floors up and carrying a buggy up every time was a nightmare as there is no lift in block C but to be fair we got moved into a bigger room as we asked nice rooms with Aircon and a TV up stairs and down in the 2 floor apartments.
Getting food sometimes was hectic but if you go early or a bit later it was fine , the food it's self was all ways cooked very well but to many pork dishes and where the food was placed it was difficult to get by where they cooked the 2 specials each night there to close together , if there was nothing your kids liked the chef was very helpful and would make what they wanted when asked and the staff in there where all very nice people.
The rooms are always cleaned very well the cleaners only have a Tuesday off as stated on a notice board at reception.
Thomas cooks kids club and evening entertainment was excellent, the reps always made an effort with the kids and the kids loved them.
The hotels entertainment team are all polish and was on most nights was not good maybe a polish family thought they were good as we will have different sense of humours but for me and a lot of British people who I spoke with its a big problem with this hotel.
This hotel is fantastic for kids all the slides through the day then all the bouncy castles and more at night (you have to pay for bouncy castles and fun park).

4 Thank Decka1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalamaki
Bitzaro Palace Hotel
#21 of 30 in Kalamaki
Hotel Vanessa
Hotel Vanessa
#19 of 30 in Kalamaki

Been to Carreta Beach Holiday Village? Share your experiences!