“Turtles and Turkeys”

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Turtles and Turkeys”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife Rachel booked this hotel from reading reviews on here so we knew what to expect. How ever when you meet Vicky and Gus you realise that reviews cannot do justice to their welcome and the attention you get during your stay. We felt more like house guests than hotel guests. Viky came out from the pool bar to greet us, introduced herself and asked our names. The room was adequate as we were only going to sleep in it! Once we were settled in we ventured to the bar area were Gus asked names and introduced himself and offered a complementary drink, although we were only in the bar for a short while before we went out for a meal or coming back in for a night cap, he always remembered our names. We needed something to eat on first day and we were going to order omelette, he recommended the Greek salad as it would not spoil our evening meal, which was a barbecue laid on by Vicky and Gus, a great way to meet all the other guests. Gus recommended a couple of restaurants in Kalamaki and we were not disappointed. We had a hire car so went to the turtle beaches most days and managed to swim with 3. The early mornings were entertaining as the turkeys started calling, no fault of the hotel and as it is amongst the farms, should be expected.
All in all a great small hotel, makes you feel like a house guest and yes we would come back.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I booked this hotel to celebrate our engagement and couldn't have asked for a nicer hotel to stay in.
We are in the early 20s age bracket and didnt feel uncomfortable staying in a hotel that has some older guests. It was in fact a lot nicer, very peaceful and the hotel had a friendly atmosphere so it was easy to talk to everyone staying in the hotel. Vicky and Gus the owners are lovely people and will do anything to make your stay even more enjoyable. I'd like to thank them for making our stay so special :).
The location is great 10 mins away from anything you need whilst on holiday and the surrounding scenery makes the walks to and from the beach/
Strip all the more pleasant. I can see why so many people return to this place.
If we were to visit the island again we would definitely book to stay here we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've just read the 2 previous, very conflicting reviews and 100% agree with the latter. I've just returned from a short break at these apartments with my wife and we both thoroughly enjoyed the 5 nights we had there so much so that we'd have no hesitation recommending them to anyone.

Took a taxi from the airport and was met by Vicky as we were walking up towards the apartments by the pool. Checked in, got rid of the cases and was soon at the poolside bar were Gus gave us 2 welcome drinks, Mythos the local beer. Both Gus and Vicky asked our names and from that minute we were always met with a smile and a "hi Paul, hi Anne"

The room was basic but when on holiday in a hot country why would you need more than a bed, bathroom and a fridge. The room catered for 2 people so there was also no need for a larger balcony which was fairly small but exactly as shown on the photos on this site.

Anyone who writes a review saying they never saw Gus must have walked around with their eyes closed. He is behind the bar from morning until 4pm and then returns around 8pm, not leaving until gone 1am. He would obviously like you to drink and eat at his bar more than any of the others but we never felt under any pressure to do so. We often had a couple during the day and then another before we left for the evening but never returned on the way home even though the bar was still open.

Many of the guests had been before but they were definitely not treated any better than we were. Snacks during the day were nice and reasonably priced, I think we ate there 3 of the 5 lunchtimes, the Greek salad was very nice as were the omelettes.

The pool wasn't that big but probably about the right size in proportion to the hotel and no one can really complain as again it's no smaller than the photos show. Not sure if there would be enough sun loungers in the busy periods but we always got a couple without having to resort to waking up early to reserve them. There's a nice tabled area to the side of the bar where you can have a snack and a cool beer.

I don't really do breakfast but my wife thought the yoghurt was excellent and was happy enough with that, a coffee and egg on toast. If you want a fry up stay in England or go to one of the bars doing one for 3.95 Euros.

The Michaelos restaurant, a 5 minute walk away was definitely not a let down and was the best food/atmosphere we had in any of the restaurants.

The main bars and restaurants are a good 10 minute walk but I'd say the beach is more than double that in the opposite direction from the hotel, restaurants turn left and left again, beach right and right again.

There was a fairly even split of Dutch and English. We booked our flights and accommodation (B&B) separately but it was quite quirky that many if not all the Dutch had booked B,B&B through a travel agency. The extra B was for bikes which were provided by the Dutch travel company, parked up outside reception and they had free use of. Great idea!

Didn't need the air con as we kept the curtains closed during the day to shelter the room from the sun but I think in the height of summer it may be required.

If you think hard enough there's always a negative so here goes. Although it didn't bother me in the slightest as I'm a very deep sleeper my wife did comment about the cockerel in a nearby field making a bit of noise at 4am.

Leeds, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Having stayed at the Daniel Hotel for many years I feel some of her comments are rubbish. My My husband & I stayed at the hotel during the same two weeks as this lady & her partner. She says they never saw Gus after they arrived-this is rubbish-he is around every morning, lunch time and evening. You obviously weren't talking to Gus as he would not have spoken like that, he would have spoken to you and probably offered you a welcome drink. He is the most friendly person you could wish to meet. There were no children staying-there was Fontini (owners daughter). Re the lack of street lighting and dogs barking you can't blame the hotel for these problems! Nowhere in the info does it state a kitchenette in the rooms. You don't get one I in B & B's in England. You do not have to walk back from the strip-taxis are plentiful and reasonable. Re people taking out breakfast on their balconies-some of us have caring partners who like to treat us on holiday and bring us breakfast. The dining room is perfectly adequate to hold the guests in the hotel, we don't all eat at the same time. Re your comment about Costa I hope you enjoy it-the last time we stayed there it was in one off the older rooms with kitchenette and we had water running down the walls of the kitchenette and all over the worktops and floor,.

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were really excited about coming to stay here when we read the reviews before booking, then quite let down when we got there. We've stayed in 3 other hotels in Kalamaki over the past 2 years and quite aware how basic Greek hotels are.

Vicky seemed a really nice lady when I spoke to her and we met another guy on arrival (I presume Gus) but didn't meet him again after this. The guy who met us on arrival asked if we'd been to the hotel before. My boyfriend said we hadn't but this is our 4th time to Kalamaki. The guy replied, as he walked away, "yeah right" or "yeah", in a tone of voice to say my boyfriend was lying. I didn't catch what he said as I was too far away.

LOCATION: It is a fair way out, but there are other hotels which are further out (Anagennisis and Sirene) but we were quite aware of this and don't mind walking. It takes 10mins to walk to the centre of the strip and 5 mins to walk to the old end of Kalamaki (Crystal Beach end). Crystal beach is a 10-15min walk (depending how fast you walk). We have friends in one of the bars on the main strip, so spent our evenings there, but I hated walking back on a night. Hotels, like this one, where there are locals living close by seem to keep their dogs out on a night (security?), of which the majority bark as you pass them. The road it is on only has a few street lights spaced out, so pretty dark in places and some cars/bikes do speed past you and you hope they've seen you.

OUR ROOM: I've read reviews on hotels we've stayed in about people saying the beds were rock hard but I've never found them to be, until staying here. The first few nights I barely slept for pain on my pressure points (hips and shoulders mainly). I think the first or second night I had about 2hrs sleep and was despairing! Eventually my body got used to the bed. I tried using the blanket for padding, but that made no difference at all.

The room was nice and clean and the domestics were friendly. The fridge was free, which was great! We didn't use the air con.

The room overall felt quite small, but we got used to that. The TV was a waste of space on the dressing table as they were all Greek channels. The balcony was a nice size, not huge, not small. We hadn't noticed from the photos, and wouldn't have booked this hotel if we realised, but there's no kitchenette. The other 3 hotels we've stayed in (b&b / self catering), all had kitchenettes. We like to save money and cook our own little meals on a lunchtime.

The first 3 evenings I used the shower, it was so cold. I then noticed it got hot from 6:30pm. Strangely enough, later on in our holiday, I noticed the shower was hot from as early as 5pm. The only explanation I can think of is from 1st June the hot water comes on earlier. I don't know if that actually happens or was just coincidence?

DINING ROOM / BREAKFAST: The 14th photo is accurate of the layout of the dining room. It actually doesn't look that cramped, but once people are sat down, you're stuck if people are sat at the end of each 'aisle' cos there's no way you can get out. I noticed people were taking their trays out at breakfast, and coming back with trays, so I guess you can take your breakfast to your room - great idea! I'd hate to think how bad it gets in the busier months (we stayed from 29th May - 12th June). I would advise the hotel staff to sort out the space in the dining room. Where Sue F describes the breakfast, that's absolutely right, until she says 'and more'. There was no 'and more'. There was only one choice of cereal too: Greek cornflakes. I'd advise maybe 2 or 3 choices of cereal because if you don't like cornflakes, you'll be living off toast, boiled eggs and cake for all your holiday.

EVALUATION: I've no idea what draws people back to this hotel, maybe the friendliness of the owners? I feel terrible writing this but this is an honest opinion of our experience. Also, when we were here, it seemed to be more orientated round older couples. At 31 year old, I seemed to be one of the youngest. There was another young couple there in our second week. There was possibly one family there with one or two children.

Would I come back? I'm afraid not. The darkness of the road on a night scared me, the barking dogs through the night were a nuisance,the beds took a good few days to get used to their hardness, the shower was one of the best (eventually) though, the dining room too cramped and I prefer larger pool areas. We're planning to go back to the Costas or Marelen next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just returned from the Daniel Hotel and what can we say but wow! We had such a relaxing time and everything was just perfect. Vicky and Gus were so welcoming and attentive to our every need. Gus really does run the hotel from his heart as he says. The food was excellent and catered for vegetarians and we loved sitting watching the wildlife with our lunch every day. Breakfast was good with boiled eggs, yoghurt and honey, cereal, cake, toast etc and good coffee. The pool is very well kept and lovely to swim in while looking at the surrounding countyside. The beds were comfortable and we slept well. There is a fridge in the room to keep drinks cold. There was never any trouble getting a sunbed and the fact that many of their customers are returning ones speaks for itself. We will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.