“Nice hotel :)”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Macedonia
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Kalamaki
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Four friends stayed here in September 2013, 1st impressions were very good, the grounds are really nice and clean, pool area and bar are great. Rooms are basic, but it is Greece and unless you pay for luxury, this is usual. Clean and spacious though. Not as hard to self cater as some reviewers have said, though there is a small supermarket across the road that sell ready made sandwiches for less than 2 euros which made lunchtime snacks very easy! Also the bar area has a very good menu for snacks and meals. Breakfast wasn't great, but saved a walk along to the main village some mornings. We had a room on the top floor of the middle building, however our friends had a much smaller, darker room below ground level on what looked like the 1st building built. It wasn't great, so try to request a higher one, these lower rooms tend to attract more mosquitoes too.
Its a 5-10 min walk to the beach, which has some very stony parts in some areas, be careful. I know its a conservation area so there is nothing along the beach in way of bars and restaurants, I missed that, I like to walk along a beach stopping for a snack or a drink. There is one bar but it was a bit scruffy. Its another 10 minutes into the beginning of the village, though there are plenty of bars further on, it just seemed we were at the wrong end of kalamaki, therefore, most nights we didn't make it much further than Drunk Corner bar - great staff, drinks and food here!
I do love Zakynthos and have been a few times, though if i go back I will stick to Alykes/Alikanas. We hired a jeep and went though most of the touristy parts, and Alykes still has the most going for it in my opinion.
Oh and the planes ARE frequent, ARE noisy, deafening in fact, though great to watch and if you like plane watching, you wont mind at all. If you don't like noise, do not book this hotel and then complain :)

Room Tip: Try not to get the lower ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank tracylh5791
There are newer reviews for Hotel Macedonia

Reviewed 2 April 2014

we have been going here twice a year but a familly wedding has stopped us going in june so roll on august two weeks of pure joy cant wait its a familly run hotel and they cant do enough for you also the cleaning staff are first class

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 5,491
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here for a week in September 2012. I had been to Argassi in the May, (did 2 reviews on that) but wanted to come back to hopefully see a turtle and be close to the planes.
I chose this hotel as it's close to the airport and the planes fly over it. I was on the first floor and when I got to my room I was all excited to see my view and it was of the pool with a lovely tree growing outside my balcony. This blocked most of my view and I could only see a small corner of the pool, so I went and asked could I be moved. As the hotel was full, I was told I would have to wait until a room became available.
A couple of days later I moved to a room the floor above and 2 doors along. So now I could see the sea from my front door, and planes flying in over the beach and my hotel roof, and from my balcony a clear view over the pool and an extra view of the lovely tree I hated for 2 days.
The hotel was really nice, it had a bar/food area, a great pool with lots of free sunbeds and the use of inflatable beds, wifi for a fee and the beach was a 5 min walk up the road. They even have their own small church in it's grounds, very pretty.
There was no tv in the room or kettle. So if you want a cup of tea it will be 2 euros, I take my travel kettle which pays for itself in a day.
There were lots of shops, restaurants and bars around. Kalamaki is a big spread out resort with everything there you could need. If you wanted a livelier scene, then Laganas was just up the road. I walked there a couple of times, and from there I walked on to Agios Sostis which is a really nice resort. These can be reached by walking along the beach too.
Most bars / eateries provide free wifi if you buy something.
I would recommend the Macedonia Hotel if you like the excitement of the planes, as I did.
They do not fly very late and after a little while you don't notice them.
All in all, a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, with a pool view, then you can see the sea as well, and watch the planes fly i...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank AnnPen13
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have been back 3 times to the hotel Macedonia. I loved the quiet strip of shops and restaurants and if you want mad you can go to Lagnas for crazy crazy up the road about 3 min in a taxi. Loved it. Will be back for sure

Room Tip: pool facing
3  Thank mforde2013
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was our third trip to Zakynthos, and our third stay in the Macedonia. As always we had a lovely stay. It is a welcoming, family run hotel, in 2 mins walk from the 'strip' in Kalamaki, yet just off the beaten track to be quiet and private. Each year we have seen improvements to the facilities, and this time we particularly loved the new showers in the upgraded bathrooms. The hotel is spotless, the staff are friendly and the food by the pool perfect during the day. And LadyAnna from the pool bar gets a special mention for being so friendly and welcoming to us, what a smile! Don't be troubled of reports of planes either, they are infrequent, and once you realise they are actually kinda cool to watch. After a day you don't even notice, in fact we were looking forward to them, cos it meant we were back at the Macedonia and sure to have a good stay :-) We will be back!

3  Thank Pablocon
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here from 12 September for a week and have to say the hotel is perfect, its clean and the maids keep the apartments clean and clean your rooms every other day you cannot fault how clean this hotel is the apartments are again A Class very big and has all you need. As mentioned below the food is excellant and they will serve this night or day you can always have them do a takeaway for you as well to take to your room happy to help.

The beach is only a short walk away along with the shops Restaurants and pubs its in a perfect location and as for the planes this was no problem please dont let that put you off Kalamaki is a lovely place and we will be going back next year.

3  Thank claire_dagger
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Just back from my 3rd stay and cant fault the hotel at all. The rooms have been updated since last I went and we were very impressed. Clean at all times and regular maid service. Tasos and nikos and all other staff are very friendly and happy to help. Good food at reasonable prices at the bar and ate here alot. Short walk to beach, shops and restaurants in kalimaki. Love this hotel and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2013